Which theme song is better:1978 Superman or 1989 Batman?

1978 Superman

It occurs to me, I misread the question. I thought it was “which movie is better”. My answer is still Batman, because Danny Elfman created a composition that would be forever associated with the character and remind people of the character. Whereas, the Superman theme is also iconic, but I simply feel Batman 89’s theme is far more impactful.

It occurs to me, I misread the question. I thought it was “which movie is better”. My answer is still Batman, because Danny Elfman created a composition that would be forever associated with the character and remind people of the character. Whereas, the Superman theme is also iconic, but I simply feel Batman 89’s theme is far more impactful.

1 Like

Superman

2 Likes

Batman '89. Superman is Awesome but I’ve always been a bit more of a Bat-Fan.

1 Like

When you see them in the theaters, STM is unmatched, as it really pulls you into the movie. Elfman’s Batman is fantastic too, and as essential to Batman as Williams’ Superman work is to Superman.

2 Likes

I’ve seen both at my favorite theater (Alamo Drafthouse) and yeah Superman’s has a much stronger pull in and pumps you up but Batman 89’s opening credits ain’t a slouch either!

1 Like

You’re right. For the two times I’ve seen Batman in a theater, my favorite point in the opening credits is when the title comes onscreen.

When I saw Superman last Tuesday, I got chills when the S-shield roared up on screen with the theme.

2 Likes

I can honestly say that with either one playing in my car, I want to drive faster when Elfman’s score comes on. Williams made an iconic theme, but also made great themes for Star Wars, Raiders, and the lot. Williams’ “Duel of the Fates” elicits the same flight response in me when driving. But the Superman theme does not. For me it’s Elfman FTW.

1 Like

I was born in 1984 so I don’t think I’ve ever been able to fairly judge the Superman movies. Batman all the way. The VHS tape was re gifted to me in Christmas of 1990. One of my uncles (a film buff) got it for my grandfather (not a film buff) and my grandfather then gave it to me without a single viewing. I think he thought Batman was still the Adam West for children thing and didn’t understand the gift. I was probably too young to comprehend the entire film, but I loved it anyway!

2 Likes

Not fair. Hard to answer

2 Likes

Superman is classic and powerful, but if I have to pick something more recognizable, I’m going with the Adam West Batman TV Show Theme.:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

John Williams Superman theme. No contest.

2 Likes

Batman 1989.

How can one choose? Both are iconic in their own right. Both represent their respected characters so well. It’s like asking me to choose peanut butter or jelly yet they both are needed for the sandwich to be complete.

I still get chills when I hear each song start to play.

I can’t choose. If I could listen to one song in my left and the other in my right that would be awesome. My brain would be confused, but it’d be worth it.

1 Like

Very good point!

Superman all the way

3 Likes

Superman cuz it’s more upbeat and hopeful

2 Likes

Upbeat and hopeful is great but so is the night and vengeance!

:waxing_crescent_moon:

Hate to be this guy, but Zimmer’s An Ideal for Hope from Man of Steel… Makes me want to cry and help the world every time I hear it.

2 Likes