Which is the better show? Batman the Animate Series or The New Batman Adventure

I want to know which batman animated series is better? In my opinion The New Batman Adventure is better. But I want to see other fans opinions.

1 Like

I am not a fan of TNBA. One of my favorite things about BTAS is its cinematic look, and that aesthetic was lost in the DCAU once it moved to The WB.

3 Likes

I prefer BTAS, but it might be purely aesthetic. I still haven’t forgiven them for changing the Batmobile.

3 Likes

There was also a writing shift. Batman felt more human in TAS. He could be spooky or angry while still being heroic instead of falling into the trap of being a dislikable jerk to dredge up cheap drama.

3 Likes

I count them as the same show.

3 Likes

They are the same show.

But I don’t care for either.

1 Like

TNBA uses a slightly lighter palette than BTAS. TNBA stories were a bit more fun and better written from a dialogue standpoint.

Of course both pale in comparison to The Batman the animated series. But, that is a different discussion.

1 Like

Artistically: BTAS.

Entertainment-wise: TNBA. By Ditko’s Beard, it has The Creeper, Over The Edge and The Dark Knight Returns, and Mad Love, among many other highlights.

2 Likes

They’re technically the same show, and the art style change is easy to come to terms with, and in the case of some characters (Killer Croc, Poison Ivy, Scarecow) a huge improvement. However, the writing’s not as good, and I found very few of the epjsodes from TNBA to be memorable. Again, they’re the same show, but it’s a case of the early seasons just being better.

1 Like

I’m a bigger fan of the new animation style, but I actually enjoyed Ivy and Freeze’s original BTAS designs much more. Especially Freeze. Croc and Scarecrow were definite improvements in the new animation style, but Catwoman’s design… wait, does that even count as a design in TNBA?

1 Like

BTAS over TNBA.

BTAS was the last gasp of old-school animation, something that I appreciate more than the computer-colored TNBA. Not a big fan of most of the redesigns either.

They’re pretty close as far as storytelling is concerned - just as many fantastic, A+ episodes of each. And while BTAS has a larger number of awkward episodes, they didn’t produce Critters. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like