Which DC Comic Story Had the Biggest Personal Impact On You?

The Death of the Family series that crossed Batfamily books in the New 52 is one of my favorite story lines. It got me into reading the comics and really took on a new way to look at the Joker that Id never seen before.
After that I started reading Court of Owls which also quickly became a favorite story of mine.

Batman: Knightfall.

For starters, this was my first real introduction to the Bat Family as an 11-12 year old. The exaustion that Batman fought through as the arc progressed, as well as the final fight and the shocking end.

I was totally invested in how hard Batman was fighting through this, and when Bane broke him, I was crushed.

This and Superman’s death cam around an age in my life where I was catching on to the fact that in the real world, the good guys don’t always win. And the perseverance that both these characters showed in their last hours…and, umm, their return to action and the struggles they faced to return their former power and status helped me learn an important life lesson.

You can’t win every battle. But if you’re willing to give all of your heart into it, you *can win all the battles that matter.

Batman rebirth

TDKR was so polarizing the first time I read it.

TDKR was so polarizing the first time I read it.

The Green Lantern Green Arrow series and all the issues it dealt with that are just as relevant today.

1 Like

Batman long Halloween I read it recently but that doesn’t diminish the impact of the story and the awesomeness of it not only is it a great Batman story but it’s an amazing mystery story as well

1 Like

A Death In The Family. Such a shocking and violent twist. Betrayed by his own mother, and bludgeoned to death by a crowbar. Even for Batman, this series was dark, and so emotional.

2 Likes

All Star Superman: Clark getting to be with Jonathan.

1 Like

Killing Joke was really good so was the movie

Probably Crisis on Infinite Earths #7 for me, in which Supergirl died. The story, the fantastic George Perez/Jerry Ordway art, and the epic stakes of the whole event really hit home with that issue. That was the first comic book that made me feel emotional.

Dark Knight Returns was the first comic I read that felt important. It really told me how incredible the medium can be.

Knightfall/Death of Superman/Emerald Twilight will always have a place in my heart because they all happened around the same time and were my first real big story arcs. Especially Knightfall, I followed that all the way from beginning to end, and had to beg my parents for 10 bucks for Batman 497 so I could see Bane break Batman’s back.

For me it’s All-Star Superman, specifically the moment when he’s consoling the woman attempting to commit suicide. I’ve never been that far, but I’ve had some dark moments in my life, and when Superman tells her that “you’re much stronger than you think you are,” it’s sort of like he’s telling that to me too.

Blackest Night issue #0
As a casual consumer of pop culture. I grew up watching BTAS and the Tim Burton movies. So I was familiar with Batman, and was a fan. After picking up Blackest Night at my local comic shop my world was changed. Batman is dead! Blackest set me on a journey. Why and how did Batman die? I dove into comics searching for an answer, and in my discovery I was introduced to Hal Jordan, the man without fear. I was inspired. A hero who could will anything into existence only limited by his creativity. With a weakness that could be overcome, and made into a strength. After reading that story. I now carry myself as a Lantern. Overcoming fear in the face of adversity, and I am only limited by my creativity. In brightest day, in Blackest night. No evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evils might. Beware my power. Green Lantern’s light!

1 Like

Crisis on Infinite Earths. I was like 10 or 11yo when I was browsing in a comic shop and there was a table with a bunch of classic comics on sale. There were hardcover books of Infinite and the cover got my interest and so I went to the guy at the counter for info and he told me it was a major story and important part of DC history.

Got home and read it, it blew my mind and have been fascinated by the idea of parrelel multiverses ever since

1 Like

Englehart/Rogers/Austin BATMAN, namely DETECTIVE COMICS #472.
Hugo Strange takes both of his identities. A Batman story without Batman!
Robin and Alfred to the rescue. Penguin, Deadshot and Joker wait in the wings for the next four issues.

Also, DETECTIVE COMICS #500’s “To Kill A Legend” by Brennert and Giordano. Batman gets a chance to save an alternate Thomas & Martha Wayne.

1 Like

Blackest Night
Flash Rebirth
Green Lantern Rebirth
Justice League Origin

A Death in the Family

Watchmen

2 Likes

Catwoman: Her Sister’s Keeper
Batman: Long Halloween