Which DC characters have died at some point?

What about Carrie Kelley?

Was she ever in the main continuity? If so, I missed that entirely.

Carrie Kelley was briefly in New 52 Batman and Robin I think after Damian died. She was a college student who dressed like Robin for a costume party IIRC. I don’t think the story did anything with her other than make her annoying. I don’t know if the writer ever made more use of her.

I could have sworn I read an older Post-Crisis comic that had Carrie Kelley playing some small role too. Not one of the Dark Knight Returns series either. I’m going to Google it.

Alright. Couple of corrections.

First, Carrie Kelley was in Batman and Robin before Damian died as Damian’s tutor. I’m guessing the writer had something planned and then Batman Incorporated killed Damian messing up Carrie’s role, so she didn’t really do anything.

I don’t think she was in post COIE continuity. I was thinking of her appearance in Batman TAS where she is a Gotham street kid who imagines a Dark Knight Returns version of Batman and Robin with herself as Robin. It seems one of the comics in this universe also used her.

Batwatch I got to agree she is a bit annoying. Also just noticed we all got “bat” in our name.

2 Likes

And I must say that I’m flattered that both of you are named after me.

3 Likes

Lol

Well, DC doesn’t print a million Batman titles for no reason.

I actually had a Batman blog doing news and commentary for the entire Bat Family for a year called Batwatch. It was during the second year of New 52 when Carrie Kelley appeared, so anything that happened in that little window, I know super well. The site actually did fairly well registering a couple hundred visitors a day, but I poured a ton of time into it. Sometimes, I wish I’d kept it up, but there were other things in my life that needed time and attention and paying that much attention to Batman sucks the joy out of it.

2 Likes

Didn’t everyone technically die in Crisis on Infinite Earths? Afterwards, it was all new versions of the characters because the others had been assimilated into a new reality.

2 Likes

I can’t recall for certain. Pretty sure they did the same thing for Zero Hour by rebooting the Big Bang.

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”

1 Like

Who hasn’t died at least once??

Dying and coming back can be so annoying.

1 Like

@Batjamags

Alfred was killed in a 1964 issue of Detective Comics at the start of the New Look era. He shoved Batman and Robin out if the way of a dropping boulder. He was meant to stay dead.

The fans rioted.

And, William Dozier brought him back in the Batman tv series two years later. Without this program, the world would never have gotten the Alf-cycle.

As for the comics, a mad scientist plot brought Alfred back to life as The Outsider. It’s complicated.

3 Likes

Let’s see

Oliver Queen/Green Arrow I - died in a plane explosion shortly after Zero Hour

Superman - died fighting Doomsday

New 52 Superman - died but I can’t remember how

Earth-2 Superman/Kal-L - died helping Kal-El defeat Superboy Prime

Firestorm/Ronnie Raymond - stabbed with a sword by the Shadow Thief and exploded

Firestorm/Professor Stein - turned into salt by Deathstorm, a Black Lantern corruption of the Firestorm matrix with Ronnie Raymond’s memories and personality

Aquaman - died but I can’t remember how

Martian Manhunter - ganged up on by Libra’s Secret Society and set on fire

Red Tornado - several times, one time I can remember was when he exploded during Infinite Crisis and was slowly reassembled over the course of the 52 and One Year Later storylines

The Question - died of cancer in 52

Hawkman, Hawkgirl and Hawkwoman - since the three are technically just reincarnations of the same two people, Hawkgirl and Hawkwoman somehow managing to both exist at the same time, they’ve died more times than anyone else in the DC universe

Hal Jordan - killed by Green Arrow during the Zero Hour to stop him from rewriting reality even further

Barry Allen - ran himself to death, the Speed Force ripping his body to pieces, in Crisis on Infinite Earths. Later retconned as him simply getting trapped in the Speed Force

Elongated Man - tricked Felix Faust into killing him, resulting in Faust accidentally locking himself in the Tower of Fate because only Ralph could get them out

Superboy (Conner) - died fighting Superboy Prime

Bart Allen - beaten to death by the Rogues

Jericho - begged Slade to kill him to spare him the suffering the Souls of Azarath were causing him, managed to possess Slade right as Slade impaled him and stayed inside Slade’s subconscious for years, going insane

Grant Wilson/Ravager I - was injected with a defective version of the super-soldier serum that created Deathstroke which then resulted in his body deteriorating and his heart failing during a fight with the New Teen Titans

Lian Harper - crushed by a collapsing building when an earthquake ravaged Star City, triggered by Prometheus

Sue Dibny - died in Identity Crisis when Jean Loring “accidentally” killed her

Ryan Choi/Atom III - killed by Deathstroke and his Titans team

Ted Kord/Blue Beetle II - killed by Maxwell Lord

Maxwell Lord - neck snapped by Wonder Woman

Owlman - obliterated by Dr Manhattan

Professor Zoom - died three times. Had his neck snapped by Barry Allen, had a sword shoved through his chest by Thomas Wayne and was obliterated by Dr Manhattan

The Anti-Monitor - died three times. Had every hero from five different Earths use all their combined power along with Alexander Luthor Jr’s control over both matter and antimatter against him during the Crisis on Infinite Earths. Was beaten black and blue by Superboy Prime until he finally died during the Sinestro Corps War. Was then hit by Grail’s Omega Beams in The Darkseid War.

Jason Todd - beaten within an inch of his life with a crowbar and then blown up

Duela Dent - shot in the face by a Monitor hellbent on wiping out anomalies who inhabited Earths other than their own and since she was a remnant of the original Earth-3, he wanted her gone

Supergirl - killed by the Anti-Monitor during COIE

These are all the DC deaths I can remember. I know there are more, though, but this comment would probably never end if I found a way to list them all.

I should probably point out that just about every Earth-2 counterpart of Earth-1 heroes died during the Crisis on Infinite Earths except for Power Girl and Kal-L.

Before the rest of comics got blood thirsty, there was the Legion.

1. Lightning Lad First major death of a DC hero. He died fighting Zaryan

2. Ferro Lad was killed using a bomb against Suneater

3. Invisible Kid got killed by Valdius

4. Chemical King got killed, I cant remember the exact details

All of this happened prior to the 1980s ie before Jean Grey changed the game

1. Ultra Boy died later inhabited Superboy

2. Karate Kid died fighting Nemesis Kid

3. Supergirl died during Crisis

4. Superboy died pushing his body thru the iron curtain of time

5. Mon-El died. Body was on life support and the technology failed

6. Magnetic Kid died during Magic Wars

7. Phantom Girl Glorith then the reboot changed Phase origin so this one is murky

8. Blok. One of the most savage deaths ever by Roxxas

9. Sun Boy. Suicide

This is just the first incarnation of Legion. The subsequent reboots had plenty of death as well. I also dont count Wildfire since he is an energy being and never was truly dead.

Has Deadman ever died?