Which DC Character Has the Most Tragic Origin?

Suggest which DC characters have the most tragic origins and I’ll set up a tournament style series of polls to decide on which DC character has the most tragic origin!

To start,

• Batman
  • Superman
0 voters
8 Likes

Batman had to watch his parents die. His parents, innocence, childhood, and normalcy was ripped away from him all within 20 seconds.

Superman only knows the loss of Krypton because he discovered it. Krypton wasn’t taken from him because he never was really part of it.

7 Likes

I went with Batman. Bruce Wayne watched his parents die. He remembers it all too well. Kal-El was a baby when Krypton blew up. I doubt he remembers it or his parents.

7 Likes

There is no case the answer is my best buddy, since Supergirl’s origin is more tragic in every way. Then Power Girl’s origin is more tragic in every way. Really compared to his cousins Superman has no tragedy in his origin.

Power Girl should probably win this whole thing.

9 Likes

Nice. Powergirl than followed up by Martian Manhunter. Dude’s life is the epitome of tragedy.

6 Likes

I guess the only character who can beat Power Girl in the Tragedy-Off is Pariah, who’s caught in an endless recursive loop of extinction events. But I feel like quantifying tragedy is a futile exercise – no matter what the scope of the origin is, it’s still personally, deeply felt by each protagonist in their own way. Trauma isn’t a contest.

9 Likes
  • Supergirl
  • Powergirl
0 voters
  • Batman
  • Martian Manhunter
0 voters

Pariah saved.

A very good point, I in no way want to diminish any form of trauma.

That said I’m polling people anyways. Why?

8 Likes

Supergirl lost her world. Power Girl lost her world and then her new world she found along with her entire universe.

Comparing them is like comparing me to somebody whose parents were murdered in front of him, then his guardians were murdered in front of him, and it was repeated hundreds of times in a single year.

6 Likes

I forgot about that second part

6 Likes

Some people with traumatic origins:

Tommy Monaghan (Hitman)
Cyborg
Scott Free
Catwoman
Jason Todd
Dick Grayson
Stephanie Brown

6 Likes

I fail to see how these people are competing with some of the above names like Karen, J’onn, Karen, and Karen.

Also how is Catwoman tragic? She is wish fulfillment personified.

6 Likes

Idk but I know she lived on the streets.

Oh Helena Bertinelli had tragic origins too

5 Likes
  • Hitman
  • Cyborg
0 voters
  • Mr Miracle
  • Catwoman
0 voters
  • Red Hood
  • Nightwing
0 voters
  • Spoiler
  • Huntress
0 voters

Notes for future polls.
Pariah & Robotman saved, two huntresses, check poll above

4 Likes

Tragedy is tragedy

4 Likes

Robotman had a tragic origin too

4 Likes

I mean, the whole Doom Patrol kind of does.

4 Likes

Also how is Cyborg tragic? He does something stupid getting him blown up. His genius dad he has no gratitude for fixes him turning him into a superhero. Then he throws a fit he is now a machine, even though his body slowly rebuilds itself anyway taking away what little tragedy he has.

And then she lives in a mansion.

Not compared to Helena Wayne.

5 Likes

True

4 Likes

Taken under consideration, next poll will separate the two.

4 Likes

He accidentally blew up the lab, killing his mother, isolating himself from his father, and obliterating most of his body. What about that isnt tragic?

4 Likes