Which Comics Have Left A Profound Impact On Your Life?

For me it was Injustice. Even though, it started as the game for me, it helped me cope with trauma, and it helped me get closer with one of my closest friends.

3 Likes

I’m not sure that it had a real big impact on my life exactly. But Identity Crisis is what comes to mind. I know it is a controversial story but I actually liked it. I found it a few summers ago late at night and the story just sucked me in and I couldn’t put it down. The mystery and emotional story made me want to keep going and find out more. This was really the first time reading a comic that I could feel how emotional it was. There were certain parts of it, some character deaths mostly, that the emotions the characters were feeling were so strongly conveyed. I thought it was really well done. It gave me a new appreciation for the deeper stories in comics.

5 Likes

Here are three

Man Thing Annual 1

has a Steve Gerber story. that It is really excellent. A Bronze Age Story that could not have told in an earlier Age.

SPOILER OF STORY

THE KID’S NIGHT OUT.

Who ever feels fear burns at the touch of the Man Thing.

The main character Edward is a high school student who is already dead at the start of the story which is his funeral.

The minister tells each member of the family how much they loved Edward.

After a lot of these lies Alice, his only friend, shouts out that they hated him and he hated them.

She is dragged to the nearby swamp for the first encounter with Man Thing.

Then we find out that Edward left something behind which Alice will publish.

Later Alice reads to a group about Edward’s life. His dreams and his brutal reality.

The family find out thatif this is published their reputation will be ruined.They string Alice up.

Man Thing feel all that fear and Comes into town.

Violence occurs

Man Thing feels sadness at the end.

He is a creature of emotion with no intelligence.

Edward had died of a heart attack after running and running in the orders of a sadistic gym coach

Since Edward is dead her final words are the opposite of an Ordinary eulogy. Edward was fat a nobody. He is dead. No one cares

On a slower read it seems that it is Edward who forces Man Thing to go to the city to rescue Alice, the only girl he has ever kissed.

Man Thing is clumsy like Edward was.

Steve gives Edward the narrative now as he enacts revenge.

Alice tells rescuers that she felt Edward had been there and asks him to stop after seeing the gym teacher dragged away by Edward/Man Thing.

It is stated that the teacher had every chance to say he was sorry but the thought never entered his mind.

lt must have been wonderful to have an Alice in a person’s life.

Also

Sandman Sounds of Her Wings, which introduced his sister Death

That story helped my mother when my father, her husband, died.

She especially liked the poem therein.

Death is before me today:
like the recovery of a sick man,
like going forth into a garden after sickness.
like the odor of myrrh,
like sitting under a sail in a good wind.
like the course of a stream;
like the return of a man from the war-galley to his house.
like the home that a man longs to see,
after years spent as a captive.

--From "Dialogue of a Misanthrope with His Soul" (ca 2000 BC), 

Her favorite line was when
a dead person asked Death what was next. She said,
"Let’s see.’

Which implied there was
something after this. And she stopped grieving.

Finally

Another story is Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot.

Deadman meets a young blonde woman, who was no longer in continuity, because she died in Crisis on Infinite Earth 7 and was erased from History.

Version told by member
@covelle

It’s Christmas time. Deadman walks through crowded streets, yet still alone, as no one can see him. Then a blond woman recognizes his presence.

Deadman:
I was a performer you know? I played to the crowd. That sound, the sound of applause… There’s nothing like it. You soar. I soared literally.
Then suddenly it’s gone. Forever. You’re playing to an empty tent, and…
… I guess I’ve never gotten used to it.

Blonde woman:
You soared and were cut down, at your height.
Maybe there was a reason for that.
Boston…
… Take off that silly mask and listen to me.
We don’t do it for the glory. We don’t do it for the recognition…
We do it because it needs to be done. Because if we don’t, no one else will.
And we do it even if no one knows what we’ve done. Even if no one knows we exist.
Even if no one remembers we ever existed.

Deadman:
Yeah I guess we do. Look don’t mind me. I’m just a putz sometimes, you know?

Blonde woman:
No. You’re only human.
You are still human, Boston.
Don’t be ashamed of it; rejoice in it. Because it means your spirit – as flawed or selfish as our spirits can sometimes be – is still alive.

Alive. Maybe. Maybe so.

The bells of St. Patricks Cathedral started to chime in the distance, and she started away, too soon.

Blonde woman:
Well, I have to go. I have business to attend to.
Merry Christmas Boston.

Deadman:
Hey…!
Wait a minute! You didn’t explain –
Who are you? How can you see me?
I… I don’t even know your name…

Blonde woman
My name is Kara.
Though I doubt that’ll mean anything to you.

Excerpt from:
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
By: Alan Brennert
Christmas with the Super-heroes #2

Takes place post-crisis after Kara sacrificed her life. She had been scrubbed from continuity at this time so Superman could be the last Kryptonian. This was one of her few appearancs after her death. Forever grateful for this.

2 Likes

Robin II: The Joker’s Wild miniseries was one of the first comics my sister gave me for my 6th birthday. I credit it with getting me into comics, in that sense of impact.

The Green Lantern: Rebirth miniseries as I’ve detailed elsewhere was very inspiring and affirming for me as I found Hal’s struggles with Parallax to have some applicability to my own substance abuse struggles (my appreciation of the miniseries is detailed here).

Similarly, I started re-reading the 1996 Nightwing series during a pretty dark time in my life. This one quote from Issue #53 (among many others) helped me through that time.

6 Likes

Thats a classic

4 Likes

It was a fantastic first step into comics for a kid obsessed with the Burton movies and BTAS.

3 Likes

That’s such a great message, even without me having read the rest of that book!

4 Likes

I wasn’t expecting to sign on today to find so many new replies! It makes me very happy to see you guys have also had a big impact on your lives from comics. I hope all of you are doing well!

7 Likes

A Batman-Comic has left a profound impact on my life. Unfortunately I don’t know which issue it was exactly because I was only 8 years old at the time. So it was a few years ago :wink:.

Batman had to solve some crimes. The police assumed there were two criminals, as the letter of confession was written by a left-handed person, but the crime was committed by a right-handed person. For the next crime it was the other way around.

Since the modus operandi was exactly the same for all crimes, Batman thought that the crimes must have been committed by the one perpetrator. So he concluded that it must be an ambidextrous criminal. When Batman focused his investigation on this, he was able to identify the criminal.

Batman could not have solved the case with sheer force. The decisive factors were his intelligence, his experience and his logical understanding. That impressed me as a child. Since then I have tried to solve my problems in this way too. Most of the time I succeeded :wink:.

6 Likes

I’ve always wanted to be ambidextrous. Lol! Seriously though, that’s the main thing I’ve always loved about Bats too, he’s “The World’s Greatest Detective.” Something the movies never did well, surprisingly, the “Batman '66” show did play up that angle. Hopefully, the new film does too.

3 Likes

‘Batgirl: Year One’ is my most favorite BG comic series. A thoroughly fantastic reimagining of BG’s origin story in every way. LOVE. :purple_heart: :00_batgirl1: :0_batgirl: :00_batgirl:

6 Likes

I didn’t realize this existed; I’ll have to check it out!

3 Likes

It’s a fantastic story @discordia57. So well crafted and just amazing. :+1:

4 Likes

It’s funny to me that this flew under my radar. I love Chuck Dixon and was collecting weekly comics when this came out, don’t know how I missed it? But I put it in my favorites, thanks @DC89. :smile:

2 Likes

:smiley: :+1:

3 Likes

Not exactly a comic-per say, but in a way Batman the Animated Series saved my life, a couple months ago I posted how it did, on here.

5 Likes

I recently read this for the first time! It was fun!

3 Likes

I was surprised with how deep some of the episodes went. I watched it for the first time a year or so ago and was blown away. I’ll have to look for your post!

4 Likes

I’ve been reading through the Batman Black and White series’s, and this page comes to mind often.

3 Likes