which comic books age appropriate for my nine year old daughter?

No one’s talking about it but Supersons is the perfect series for someone her age. It’s about an 11 and 13 year old with jokes and humor that she’ll appreciate. Especially the banter between Jonathan and Damian. As an extension, Superman Rebirth is great as it explores a lot of good themes about family. There are even moments where superman talks about the importance of veterans. Superman and Jon have the sorts of values all parents should want in their kids.

Also remember that classic era DC was known as the children’s company. So Golden and Silver Age anything should be fine.

2 Likes

Jon Kent starts with

Superman Lois and Clark

And then continues
Into

Superman Rebirth 2016.

Lois and Jon are kidnapped twice and the house they are in, set on fire.

Also, much more involved with continuity and parallel worlds, so maybe not for a 9 year old.

It’s the only comic series where family is stressed. And Jon livesd on a farm, with solid neighbors and a girl friend, before going to Metropolis.

Until Bendis had other ideas.

My son and most kids love DC Superhero Girls, Go Teen Titans and they have lots of DC kids and Marvel kids comics. Go to a local store and ask for their kids section!

1 Like

DC Superhero Girls, Lil Gotham, DC Comics Secret Hero Society, and the Super Pets.

1 Like

Silver age comics are always family friendly as the more gruesome stuff wasnt really supported in the 50s and 60s

1 Like

@LPCustom76: Eh, I see what you mean, but I still wouldn’t be comfortable showing a little kid something like the Judas Contract (A twelve-year-old, maybe. A nine-year-old, no.).

'87 Wonder Woman’s opening arc has some scary imagery but depending on the given child’s maturity level it might be fine. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the issue where Myndi Mayer dies of a cocaine overdose is probably a little much, though. It’s a great story, mind you, but when I think “age appropriate for a nine-year-old,” that’s not quite where my brain goes.

I mean, I was watching R-rated movies when I was twelve, so I’m not exactly a “think of the children” crusader, but I’m kind of a special case (I was also in high school and taking college classes when I was twelve), and nine is still very young for some of the more mature stories.