Which Actor's Voices Do You Use In Your Head?

In the past when Harley spoke in page I’d always hear the voice of the actor who first portrayed her in BTAS, Arleen Sorkin…

Capture

… but nowadays when Harley speaks on the page I’m more and more hearing her as this famed former ‘Big Bang Theory’ star-

KC

3 Likes

I’m strictly a B:TAS & co. guy for voices, with the exception of John DiMaggio as The Joker. His version was close to the one in my head anyway, so it’s stuck there.

Cannot unhear John Glover’s Riddler, except sometimes he orders the California Health Plate (“no dairy on that”) because I also love Scrooged

Even though Jeffrey Combs’s run as Scarecrow was brief, I loved how his voice sounded like autumn wind rustling through dead leaves, so I always hear him

2 Likes

I have the reverse. Anytime I saw Dana Delany on Desperate Housewives, I couldn’t put my finger on why she seemed familiar, until I saw on IMDB she was Lois Lane on Superman the animated series.

2 Likes

Batman depends on the story. If I’m reading Silver Age-y stuff I hear Dietrich Bader, if I’m reading grim n’gritty grimy Gotham style stories I hear Kevin Conroy.

Joker’s always Hamill though.

2 Likes

Definitely, if I am familiar with the show and voice associated with the character. If i’m not familiar I usually don’t and just read through it in my head regularly.

2 Likes

When I read the Bronze Age Batman Comics I always heard
Renee Auberjonis

as Arthur Reeves

When reading Batman year One I heard Stacy Keach as James Gordon
mikehammer

2 Likes

Highly influenced by childhood tv and movies I’m sure, but are there any other famous voices you have given to your favorite characters?

3 Likes

Interesting topic! I’ve actually got a few to throw out there here.

Batman alternates between Conroy and Keaton, usually depending on the artwork. Beefier Batmans are Conroy, slimmer Batmans are Keaton. Exception is Frank Miller’s DKR Batman, who sounds like Clint Eastwood in my head.

Joker is Crispin Glover.

Jimmy Olsen is Billy West’s Fry voice. They even kind of look alike.

Ras sounds like Vincent Price.

Barbara Gordon sounds like Dina Meyer. I feel like Stephanie Brown sounds like Winona Ryder, for some reason.

Guy Gardner sounds like CD-I Mario.

Not a celebrity, but I read Jay Garrick in my grandad’s voice because he just reminds me of him that strongly. Maybe appropriately I always read Wally West as sounding like myself. Although I also have always read Dick as sounding like myself too (wish fulfillment at its finest).

I could probably think of more if I gave myself time.

5 Likes

Whenever Jack Ryder appears, I always hear Jimmy Fallon. There something about him and Jack that always fit well for me.

5 Likes

It all depends,

Batman: Kevin Conroy
Barbara Gordon: Yvonne Craig
Penguin: Tom Kenny
Two-Face: Richard Moll
Superman: Tim Daly
Joker: Mark Hamill.
:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Outside of DC any Star Trek characters voice is so imprinted in my head I can’t help but hear it in a book or comic same with Dr Who. In DC though the show is only 10 episodes Swamp Things voice was so perfect I hear it reading now. Also Wonder Woman in my head is very close to Gadot. Superman sounds suspiciously like me.

4 Likes

Conroy for Bats and Hamill for Joker. Always and without fail, even when I try to stop myself from doing so.
Freeman for Lucius, ever since the Nolan days.

5 Likes

It’s kinda cool how our brains can do that. To the point that whenever I watch something new with a different voice actor I need to mentally prepare myself for it. I love reading everyone’s responses! I’ll have to look a few people up and then forever read in their voices :smiley:

2 Likes

Tim Daly and George Newbern sound SOOOO alike it freaks me out!

2 Likes

I’m just realizing that I read Barry Allen as Brendan Fraser.

3 Likes

wow that’s unexpected! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Well, for a couple that aren’t people who’ve actually played them: I read Hal Jordan as Harrison Ford and Ra’s al Ghul as Christopher Lee.

4 Likes

Those are great ones!

2 Likes

Specifically I read him like that in the Brave and the Bold series where he’s teamed up with Green Lantern from the 90’s.

1 Like

I always read Robin in Sean Connery’s voice.

1 Like