Where to Start Grant Morrison’s Doom Patrol Run?

I heard great things about Grant morrison run on Doom portal but can someone tell me where to start?

1 Like

I would start at Issue 1 way before Grant Morrison got on the book. Honestly, while Morrison’s run has some really cool arcs and big surprises, I enjoyed the issues before and after his run, significantly more than the ones he wrote, overall.

2 Likes

So I have to read the previous run before I start Morrison’s?

You don’t HAVE to, but I think you should. Its a good time. Otherwise you won’t really know those versions of the characters or what they’ve just been through by the time Grant Morrison’s run starts. Its the Doom Patrol series that started in 1987 when you search Doom Patrol in the App.

4 Likes

Well, I guess I’ll do it that way.

2 Likes

I agree with @truetolifemagic.18250 on reading previous runs, as well as the post Morrison run. Always interesting to take in how the characters are adapted by way of another’s perspective. Same goes for the artists changing up.

2 Likes

I disagree on some part with others, I’m not a big fan of the previous runs. So if you want to know what’s going on before reading, here are some stuff to help you out.

Secret Origins Annuel 1 discussing the origins of the Doom Patrol.

History of the Original Doom Patrol

Modern Doom Patrol: Stop before 7:33

Once you watch these, start at #19-63

I would also recommend checking out the current run with Umbrella Academy Writer and My Chemical Romance Singer Gerard Way.

3 Likes

Start with issue #19, part one of Crawling From The Wreckage and Morrison’s first issue. You don’t need anything before that.

2 Likes

Huh, that does make since but I read geoff John’s green lantern without reading the previous run(You know when hal got possess by parallax) and i was just fine, they mentioned lots of times but I still followed the run just fine.

1 Like

So you’re saying I should read all 87 issues?

1 Like

Wow, thanks for the effort you put into this, and happy cake day.

1 Like

I think i might read the previous run/watch @TheSandmanofGotham 's videos

1 Like

Go for it! A few at a time to avoid burnout.

1 Like

Honestly, i think using videos like that to catch you up is just robbing yourself of a good time. I started with the first 1987 issue, never reading earlier Doom Patrol and had a great time

1 Like

I disagree completely about reading the issues before Morrison, for one, they are a chore to get through and two, it may as well be a different series. Start with issue 19.