Where to Start: Aquaman?

I’ve always been interested in Atlantis and merpeople and have wanted to get into Aquaman for a long time. But considering how Aquaman has been the butt of so many jokes over the years and considered useless I never had the courage to try for fear of it not living up to my expectations.
I was wondering what are the best Aquaman runs and where would you tell new readers to start?

2 Likes

Here are the resources on DC Universe:

This is a post I’ve made on the subject:

3 Likes

Thank you so much!

3 Likes

Hey, from 1 actual Aquaman fan to a potential future one I’d give you the same suggestion the previous responder gave you; but, with more focus on Peter David’s run on the character. His Atlantis Chronicles AND his run on the Title except when Eric Larson takes over… I MEAN, STOP RIGHT THERE… it’ll destroy your love for the title… and then jump on all the Aquaman stories Geoff Johns does. All incredible stuff. Now enjoy your new fond for the character cuz in my opinion he should be just as popular as other characters like GL, WW, Flash and I dare say Bats & Supes… just sayn.

2 Likes

From what I’ve heard, start with New 52 Aquaman by Geoff Johns, I hear he did a good job and largely inspired the movie.

3 Likes

Oh so Peter David is the one that cig off Aquaman’s hand and had Black Manta kill his son correct? I just looked up his run and saw some covers and made a guess.

2 Likes

Oh I love the movie aside from the little part where they reference the JL movie. Yeah I remember DC saying around that time that Geoff “made Aquaman cool” but wasn’t sure if they were just saying that.

1 Like

Yes and No…
The loss of the hand was under Peter David but the death of Jr. by black Manta was a previous writer.
However it was acknowledged very well in Peter David’s run.

2 Likes

Awesome okay cool. So New 52 and Peter David. How about Rebirth is it any good?

2 Likes

I’ve been reading it and it’s good for sure

2 Likes

Thank you so much

1 Like

This thread is a work in progress, but here’s what I have so far for Aquaman:

1 Like