Where are the Black Male Leads besides Cyborg?

As a kid, I used to watch Statik Shock. Also, I know nothing of the Black " Green Lantern". Why hasn’t DC made a comic or movie featuring a Black Male Lead besides Cyborg? I know Cyborg is a Black Male lead but he is just one. I am looking for more variety of males.

1 Like

John Stewart (the black GL you refer to) was a major/lead character in all four seasons of JL/JLU.

7 Likes

The Batwing series is here, first starring an African, then an African-American. Also, a number Black Lightening titles are available including his initial run.

5 Likes

When did the Batwing series start?

2 Likes

2011 with new 52, 36 issues. Then he goes on to appear in Detective as part of a Batman team

2 Likes

Also, check out Green Lantern Corps 2011. Team book but JohnStewart is the leader of the Corps.

6 Likes

Static…icon…hardware… if milestone and DC would stop there pissing match there would be tons great black lead characters to read

1 Like

Can’t forget Mr. Terrific. In the JSA, Justice Society of America, his own short lived title and now The Terrifics.

9 Likes

A few more:

There’s Jefferson Pierce aka Black Lightning.

Michael Cray has a book under the current Wildstorm imprint also.

One of Metropolis’ most famous residents that wears an “S” on their chest that isn’t a kryptonian or a human/kryptonian hybrid is Steel aka John Henry Irons.

6 Likes

Also Duke Thomas AKA The Signal, The Batman and The Signal mini series that’s on here is a great read, even though Batman gets the top billing for some reason the story centers on Duke

3 Likes

A few other mentions:

-Lucius Fox, trusted friend and business associate of Bruce Wayne.

-Hero from Superboy and The Ravers.

-Ron Troupe of the Daily Planet.

3 Likes

It wasn’t a solo title, but Val-Zod was the Superman of Earth 2 in the New 52 series (Earth 2, Earth 2: Society, Earth 2: World’s End). Grant Morrison’s Seven Soldiers featured two black male leads who each had a 4 issue miniseries: Guardian (Jim Harper) and Mister Miracle (Shilo Norman).

3 Likes

Black Lightning on CW is really good

2 Likes

Mr. Terrific is one of my favorites! Except the TV one that acted like Felicity

4 Likes

Don’t want to bang on Arrow because I still enjoy it. But never believed that actor was an Olympic athlete.

4 Likes

Can someone explain the new 52 to me? Thanks for all the leads on Black characters.

3 Likes

Dc had a pretty crap awful attitude about creating ANY characters of non white, non middle america for a real long time. Thankfully, that gradually began to change and continues to change for the better.

2 Likes

Oh, and lest not forget AMANDA WALLER. Biggest pair of brass cohonas in all of dc no matter what the race, color, creed, or gender

5 Likes

Nyadenia New 52, DC relaunched their entire line from scratch, some heroes getting younger, some having thei time lines change (like Cyborg showing up with the JL instead of Teen Titans). Some changes worked some didn’t. The line was relaunched again with Rebirth keeping some of the changes that worked, but also bringing back some of the classic looks.
Hey, and let us know if you dig into some of these series and what you think.

2 Likes

Would like to see more Static Shock

1 Like