When will Tim Drake finally be in an animated movie?

Now that the New 52 series has ended can we FINALLY have Tim Drake in a movie that isn’t those lamo Batman Unlimited ones. Y’all have had the other three but why is Tim Drake constantly surpassed??? He is my favorite and he’s such an amazing Robin and deserves the proper screentime.

9 Likes

Unfortunately, if you’re talking about the DC Animated Universe, it will probably not happen. Now that all the movies tie in, Damian is Robin, and if we see Tim it will most likely be in a future where he is Red Robin.

3 Likes

I won’t go too far into detail and spoil the episode, but judging by the latest episode of Harley Quinn, maybe we’ll get a Tim Drake in that show at some point.

There’s definitely an ironic element there, that the Robin who has spent the longest time in that role has had the fewest appearances in other media. Sure, Tim Drake was Robin in TNBA, but that version of the character was more like Jason.

3 Likes

The reason he doesn’t appear much in other media is because he is boring by design. He’s as close as we’ve had to an everyday kid (albeit a really, really rich one) in the role. He’s not a circus acrobat like Dick and pre-Crisis Jason. He’s not a streetwise child of a criminal like post-Crisis Jason and Stephanie. He’s not a kid trained to be an assassin like Cassie or Damian. He’s basically a self-insert character for young adolescent males. I’m not saying that there’s anything wrong with that, but I can see why he doesn’t get adapted very much. There’s no hook for writers.

2 Likes

I don’t want a Tim Drake movie, but I would like a series based on his original comic run.

And I also think he’s more of an everyday kid, like AKnox says, but I think that’s exactly the appeal, especially to younger kids and teens. A more ordinary kid gets to be the hero and hang with the big league protagonists? That’s YA gold.

7 Likes

I think the fact that he is a regular kid only adds to the appeal. If a regular kid can become Robin then so can the regular kids reading about him.

7 Likes

But he’s the smart one!

3 Likes

I can see both @AlexanderKnox’s and @CynicalPink’s argument. It could be a situation where kids would love to see Tim Drake on screen, but the actual movie makers find him boring, and therefore are unwilling to put him in. I think there’s often a disconnect between what the audience wants and what the filmmakers want/believe what the the audience wants, especially when it comes to kids. I think a lot of people think action = captivating (looking at you Michael Bay), so the more “interesting” characters like look-at-me-circus-boy Dick Grayson or raised-as-an-assassin Damian Wayne get a bigger spotlight.

I think nostalgia plays a huge part too, which is why Dick is in a lot more recent media than the other Robins.

I’m no expert by any means, this is just what i’ve observed. I’m sure there are plenty of examples that counter my opinion.

5 Likes

I get what you’re saying. But, he was in Gotham By Gaslight. Granted, it wasn’t the same because it was an elseworlds story. But, he was there.

3 Likes

He was in Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker XD.

2 Likes

But that’s Timmy Todd!

5 Likes

3 Likes

That’s fine. It just makes me mad that they literally have had Dick, Jason, and Damien and just skipped over Tim completely. He’s badass and deserves the same recognition as the other 3

1 Like

I sure hope so. I really enjoy that show and he deserves as much recognition as the other three. I’m not a fan of Damien so it angered me that they added him before Tim

2 Likes

RIGHT! People don’t realize how smart he is. Like her literally figured out who Batman was

3 Likes

I think people always forget how insanely smart he is. He figured out who Batman was. I think that’s pretty amazing for an “average” kid. When his parents died especially his father I thought that made him even better as a character. Not to mention he also led the teen Titans like Dick did and thats pretty big.

3 Likes

I don’t find him boring. He has some amazing storylines like finding out who batman is, leading the Teen Titans like Dick, I also thought he became better once his father passed. I think he’s very interesting.

2 Likes

It would just be nice to see him in the contunity movies. He was in the Batman Unlimited movies but those are catered to small children so it wasn’t great and not to mention those movies aren’t considered DCAU

2 Likes

Hopefully he makes into DCAU fighting alongside Bats soon

2 Likes

The Drake needs to be included somewhere. His design was the best of all the Robins. So much so that Dick’s design has been modeled off Tim’s in flashbacks and other media.

3 Likes