what's the deal with pop figures?

Pop figures are really popular and some times I try to wrap my head around why I just dont get the attraction to them I fell like I’d rather just buy a figure or statue that looks comic book accurate but maybe they are just not for me

4 Likes

I used to love them a lot. I have at least 200 figures, but i burnt myself out on them and they just got old fast and expensive. I dont buy them anymore unless its something that i cant walk away from like the new jim lee figures…i bought em all lol.

2 Likes

They’re (probably) cute to collectors. Relatively inexpensive price point. Easy to collect as well. Think about it…the pops are identical in appearance (somewhat), shape, scale, box size, it makes it easy to collect. Now if you want Justice League figures, where do you start? How many different lines are there for characters from the Justice League? Three? Five? Seven? So your group of JL collectibles might not always look appropriate together unless they’re from the same series. And putting together a set of figures from an action figure line could easily cost $17-$22 per figure. Put 10 POP figures on a shelf, and they all look right together. Added bonus, they’re about $10 per. They may be the beanie baby of the collector world, so don’t plan on any financial return on your purchase.

3 Likes

@Jvfann this is the best explanation I’ve heard so for of why people are attracted to them idk Imo i would just rather save what I would’ve spent on those for a statue but to each his own

1 Like

I only collect DC pops

2 Likes

@Bwannabeast why do you collect them what drew you to them

1 Like

I’m with ya, Yutzy, I dont get it either. But we’re obviously in the vast minority cause those suckers are a phenomenon.

4 Likes

Ya it’s crazy man there are legit conventions for things that are basically troll dolls with out the hair and with limbs that don’t move it’s really weird that they blew up the way they did and it seems like they are gonna be around for a while so idk if they are really the new bennie baby but the are mass produced so I can’t see them going up in price as the years go oh but what do I know

2 Likes

On an episode of Comic Book Men the guys went to Funco’s HQ. That place was crazy. Hey, more power to em.

3 Likes

Many people collect things that interest them, whether it’s sports memorabilia, books, autographs, pokemon, etc. Funko Pops appeal to collectors because they represent a wide variety of fandoms including those that don’t really get much merchandise. They are also easy to customize, so you can always turn a figure into something you want.

You can find them just about anywhere and they are affordable. It’s fun finding one you wanted when you least expect it.

1 Like

@Beagle you have a point there I once saw a pop of Eddy Murphy’s character from coming to America it’s a really obscure thing to make figures for

Because they hit so many fandoms, rather than having to collect a bunch of different figures and plush or statues people can get pretty much any property they want and display a collection that’s uniform. How many cast away items are out there? But hey if cast away is my favorite movie now I can get some pops to display on a desk or shelf.

2 Likes

Because they hit so many fandoms, rather than having to collect a bunch of different figures and plush or statues people can get pretty much any property they want and display a collection that’s uniform. How many cast away items are out there? But hey if cast away is my favorite movie now I can get some pops to display on a desk or shelf.

^This is the only reason I see someone gravitating towards pop figures

When you think about it, they’re a simple concept not unlike the Masters of the Universe line; they have a standard body type and all you have to do is modify it to fit a certain character. Because of that, they pump so many out that you’re always wondering what they’ll think of next. It also helps that every year they get more and more licenses, so a character you’re hoping they make one day (like me with Gargoyles or Die Hard) will eventually get a pop vinyl of it’s own.

There’s also the thrill of the hunt. I think going from store to store looking to see if they have the one you’re looking for is a great incentive. Yes, we have the internet but a lot of people want to find it in person. Also, the various exclusives, chase figures and variants keep the interest alive.

I got out of Pop Vinyls because there’s only a few that I want and ultimately found…plus I feel like if you buy too many of them, you’ll have buyers remorse a la Beanie Babies, but for now it’s a thing so we all gotta ride out the wave.

1 Like

The standard Pops are absolutely the beanie babies of this generation. That being said, I adore the less “standard” ones, like Funko’s A Day With Pikachu figures

Also, I will say I’ve never had buyers remorse with beanie babies. Those things are cute as crap. #NoShame

3 Likes

Beanie Babies were the Cabbage Patch Kids of that generation. The cycle of fads perpetuates ever onward.

3 Likes

I haven’t ever been a big fan of the funko pops either.

1 Like

@Vroom
Exactly! And if someone thinks they are cute or cool, then there’s no shame in that! Might not be everybody’s cup of tea (certainly not mine), but they are popular for a reason. It might be a fad, but every generation has them. Just like I adore beanie babies, people who collect pops should just keep on keeping on

I got pretty heavy into them just like Lexcorp said, but I didn’t have any room for them, so they ended up in boxes collecting dust. Originally I thought it was a neat way to collect vinyl figures of different properties I enjoyed. Burned myself out too, I only really collect Batman convention exclusives now.

1 Like