What's So Funny About SUPERMAN v. THE ELITE?

It’s much easier to relate to superheroes who have a few character flaws, and maybe this eventually led to many fans beginning to follow superheroes of a more “brusque” nature who embody a somewhat less-restrictive moral path than their predecessors.

But I for one believe there will always be a need for superheroes like Superman!

Check out this article on Superman vs. The Elite and weigh in on the topic:
https://www.dcuniverse.com/news/whats-so-funny-about-superman-vs-elite/

5 Likes

I wasn’t originally aware that the movie was adapted from the comics, but I can say the film is great!

The ending alone makes it a must-see for any fan and the message will surely only grow in relevance to our world and what Superman stands for.

3 Likes

Read the book and then watched the movie last night. Wonderful stuff👍🏻 Went directly to my favs…

2 Likes

@agentthirtyseven
I had no idea either!
I think that regardless of what others are doing, there will always be a need for the morally-UNcorrupt.
Or maybe “because” of what others are doing.

All we can do is hope that, as superheroes who are a little more on the morally-carefree side come into contact with heroes like Superman, some of his uncorruptable, morally-solid nature will rub off and continue to live on!

5 Likes

Joe Kelly is one of my favorite comic writers, particularly his runs on Action Comics and JLA. The story from 775 and its subsequent film adaptation endure because of it captures why Superman will always be relevant

2 Likes

I dug his run on Adventures of Superman too. He’s a great writer.

3 Likes

When asked about my favorite Superman stories of all time, this one always makes my top three (alongside Kingdom Come and All-Star Superman, if you’re wondering).

The heart of the story is relevant no matter the era, and Joe Kelly’s characterizations are spot-on.

But the moment that clinched it for me was when Superman wins because he outsmarts The Elite. using their own expectations against them. Far too often, Superman isn’t portrayed as the brilliant, strategically-minded hero that he can be - mostly because there are too many writers who are afraid of making him as smart as Batman. :wink:

2 Likes

Or smarter than Batman, perhaps?

2 Likes