What's New on DC Universe Infinite & ULTRA: December

I thought that was the case, but wasn’t entirely sure. I vaguely remember buying it around 2012, but was worried that I was mixing it up with something else!

2 Likes

It is extremely frustrating. I love DC and have been buying pretty much every DC book since 1998. The fact that DCUI is releasing four to five backlog issues a week is ridiculous. So much has already been digitized that isn’t on DCUI. Why? It feels like a blatant money-grab–get people who are subscribed to DCUI to also buy digital trades because that material isn’t here yet. Or it’s a mindset like “Maybe we can get them hooked with all but two issues of SSoSV–maybe if we stop with a few left, they’ll go drop money on the trade.” It makes me sad for DC, because as stated above, Marvel blows them out of the water with how they handle digital backlog releases.

The other thing that bothers me is that I feel like a lot of people here have been conditioned to appreciate mediocrity. Not so long ago we were only getting four backlog issues a week. When it jumped to five, the mods treated it as though we’d just found a golden ticket and that it was an exciting, impressive feat that The Powers That Be Accomplished behind the scenes. Five books a week is still practically nothing. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of books just from the 90s through now that haven’t been digitized–those titles simply can’t be that difficult to scan and upload. Why aren’t we just quickly getting things like the twenty or thirty issues of Adventures of Superman, for example, that are missing. Those books are from 2003 and 2004!

I don’t know. I’ve just had the growing feeling for awhile now that DC has been trying to discreetly gouge it’s customers with stuff like this.

2 Likes

I don’t think it is a conspiracy to gouge money. I mean a lot of those Adventures of Superman you just mentioned are not availiable on trade or the like so it isn’t like people are spending money to get them another way. (Well, back issue bins and E-Bay of course but DC makes zero dollars from people doing that). And they uploaded the first issue of Superman: The Secret Years and the Zatanna Mini-series and those are not out on trade I don’t think.

I also can’t imagine that there is some big rush on the Showcase black and white collection of Captain Carrot and his amazing Zoo Crew (which I am not sure is even still in print) just to spent 75 dollars (which is what it goes fro cheapest on Amazon) on said trade. They would probably make more money just dropping those issues.

Not that I am against people complaining about the slow release, i do it to. And I don’t know the reason Marvel or apparently even Archie are digitizing faster. But I don’t think it is a price gouging scheme. I think the short answer to why they are rolling out so slowly compared to others is that they are spending less money on digitizing them then Marvel or the like. Just why that is, is the question.

2 Likes

There are times Marvel dumps over five issues of older comics in a given week. I was geeked when they added the last of the missing Daredevil a few weeks ago. Before that it was the missing Defenders.

2 Likes

Ahh, but that doesn’t excuse the stuff that’s already readily digitized and not here.

1 Like

Let’s not hold up Marvel as a false role model for archival releases. They go weeks and weeks without releasing older issues, and then when they do, it may be 15 issues of a title you don’t care about.

There is something to be said for there being a schedule with DC Universe that we’re told about in advance. While we can wish for more in terms of volume, the fact that they are consistent is something to be appreciated.

6 Likes

And I could be wrong but from what I understand despite some claims to the contrary they do in fact not have everything archived on there either. I believe it is fewer that are archived and on Comixology, etc. but onot Unlimited then are on here, and I can believe that. But keep in mind Marvel Unlimited had a 10 year head start. By when Marvel started digital comics were not where they were atn ow, by the time DC universe came out they had a deal with comixology they had to re-negotiate which is the main reasons for things not on there that are on here.

Doesn’t mean people got a right to not be upset or even cancel if they are unsatisfied. But if comparing them side by side to Marvel Unlimited it isn’t exactly the same situation.

2 Likes

In Marvel Unlimited they got only 3 out of 13 issues of Spider-man Adventures and no X-Men Adventures. So I am thankful that DC Universe has 28 issues of The Batman Adventures with 2 annual and 1 special, and I can’t complain about that, sure it would be nice if they added those missing issues.
I’m thankful we have the Moderators where we can ask them if DC can add the missing issues, the Moderators has no control whatsoever on what get added and what’s not get added, they do their best letting our comic request be heard.
Wish I can contact someone over at Marvel Unlimited and request the missing issues, sadly I can’t and Marvel Unlimited may or may never add those missing issues of Spider-Man Adventures and X-Men Adventures.
I said it before and I’ll say it again, I’m forever thankful for DC Universe and the Moderators for all their hard work.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’m a little frustrated because I got this for the vertigo being added in mid nov but still not here and that’s the reason why I got it. Im just wondering if there has been any news…

1 Like

I wish I never got ultra since they never delivered what was promised

They are coming on the 29th I think

3 Likes

You’re the third person who’s said this. Where do you guys find this stuff out?

2 Likes

I think @Jitsu said something about it.

2 Likes

The weekly DC email that came out this week also mentioned that they would be available “next week.” So, the 29th could be the day.

3 Likes

when was that sent out? I haven’t gotten anything

1 Like

Probably Tuesday or Wednesday. I receive it every week. It includes updates on everything DC: movies, TV, comics, etc.

3 Likes

Its Batman vs Nightwing in Batman Gotham Knights Gilded City 2.pdf (6.8 MB)
That one?

1 Like

I don’t think so. I am pretty sure it was not mentioned in the one that is specific to DCUI (odd, I know). It was the newsletter for DC as a whole, but it often includes teasers for DCUI. I believe it is this one - Newsletter | DC .

2 Likes

I looked, but could not find the original email. Sorry.

2 Likes

It’s fine! Thanks anyways @Smitty_G!

3 Likes