What's New on DC Universe Infinite: August 2022

leans in and whispers

You want to know where the Maltese Falcon is? Maybe the treasure of the Sierra Madre, as well? I can point you in the right direction.

leans out as Peter Lorre approaches

Oh boy, this guy. Play it cool, folks. Play it cool.

1 Like

Is there a way to view a list of the recent releases in the app? There is a “Latest Releases” section in the “Home” tab but it only lists about 15 titles or so. With a lot being added it doesn’t really allow me to see all the new stuff. Is this monthly forum post the only way?

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, I love your username :pizza:

So, the ‘Latest Releases’ section shows everything that’s been released in the past week on the platform. This is typically 15 - 20 comics. These monthly posts in the community let you know about everything that you can expect to see on the platform within the next month. Hope this helps!

3 Likes

I could be wrong but I got curious and checked Detective the other day before this came out. And from what I remember they were only missing barely over 100. (not counting 1-26 but let’s not pretend anyone would read those or buy them on comixology etc.).

I mean “only” a little over 100 is a lot but considering how long Detective’s first series ran that actually is not that many. And they are Silver Age issues which means as far as continuity etc. it would be fairly easy to skip them and not feel lost.

I am dissapointed that Captain Carrot seems to have stopped but aside form technical issues I could also guess that it probably wasn’t getting a lot of orders on Comixology which I would think is a big if not bigger impact on decisions. But I do think DCUI and the archivist should take if they can/will finish archiving a title into account. Can’t imagine people who paid for it on comixology and sunk a lot more money then us can be more happy that they are not getting all of it with no warning.

As for the selection. I am sure a lot of people are happy so many Wildstorm titles are being added. So I don’t want to be a Karen. I do hope there will be a bit more variety soon, but I do comment them for archiving more books per week. That is a good thing for sure.

1 Like

I could be wrong but I got curious and checked Detective the other day before this came out. And from what I remember they were only missing barely over 100. (not counting 1-26 but let’s not pretend anyone would read those or buy them on comixology etc.).

By my count, Dectective is missing ~190 issues, mostly in two chunks (133-199 and 201-297), including the first 26. I believe there are a few annuals, and 1-2 single issues later on as well.

And they are Silver Age issues which means as far as continuity etc. it would be fairly easy to skip them and not feel lost.

I disagree with this on a fundamental level, honestly. There are plenty of silver age fans in the forum, and I see many of them make requests for comics like this to be digitized. Secondly, this is history and art that deserves to be preserved. Even if you want to make the case that it’s a company so they have no obligation to preserve art, (which I sincerely disagree with) it would be silly to let these stories languish when they can use them. You never know what hidden ideas and properties that could be repurposed into something new and popular for the modern area that might be hidden within.

So I don’t want to be a Karen.

I don’t think an honest critique or dialogue is being a Karen! The mods are very receptive to our feedback, and I have nothing but praise for that.

4 Likes

I will admit that I wouldn’t buy them, but I would definitely read Detective 1-26 if they were put on here.

3 Likes

Don’t forget a lot of older comics aren’t on here in their complete form and some are still in black and white.

4 Likes

The Superman & Robin Special. To be honest I have no idea what this is about so I’m excited to find out!

1 Like

I am excited to see that SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS is finally making it onto the forum. It would be nice to see more Silver Age material on this site, especially The Flash #225 through 330 and SHAZAM! (1973). (The release of the new SHAZAM! movie would seem, to me, to be a good time for those Shazam!s to show up.)

7 Likes

I’d love to see those 70s Shazam’s show up! And hell yes to the Flash – those issues were where I first found the character (my first issue was 252), and I’d love to revisit them!

3 Likes

Welcome back to the community @malvito.93825! :wave: I’m also super excited to see Secret Society of Super-Villains hit the platform. Please don’t hesitate to let the moderator team know if you need anything!

3 Likes

I had overlooked 133-199 and you are right about the annuals so I stand corrected.

As far as the Silver Age comment I think you misunderstood. I was not bagging on the Silver Age or saying DC shouldn’t archive them, they are part of history and have their fans, and while I haven’t checked sure with that many issues some key’s or first appearences are included.

I just meant if someone wanted to binge Detective and 100 Silver Age books were missing at least they would be less lost continuity wise than if it was Bronze or Modern age issues missing that many (again the 133 on I had overlooked so somewhat of a moot point with two big gaps, I wrote that not noticing that one). But absolutely DC should arvhice them. And I remember for a long time they at least added one older Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman comic every week and I wish they would continue that.

3 Likes

I’d like to make a request for these breakdowns going forward. It’s exciting when we have a series debuting, but I feel like it’s even more noteworthy when we’ve completed the collection of an entire series. I’d like to request an additional legend by the addition of issues which represent the final comic in a series.

So, for instance, this month, the Completion Emoji would go to:

• Superman '78 #6
  • Icon #42*
  • Black Manta #6
  • Pennyworth #7
  • Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #8
  • Aquaman: The Becoming #6
  • Batman vs. Bigby! A Wolf in Gotham #6

As for the Emoji itself… I recommend :100:.

*You have this erroneously listed as Icon #43. I believe Icon #42, the series’ final issue, should be going up here. But also, looking into it, where’s Icon #40? The archive skips right from #39 to #41.

7 Likes

I mentioned this in the Errors thread. 40 is between issue 1 and 2.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the :100: completion emoji @HubCityQuestion! I’ll make a note of it.

As for Icon, it should indeed be #42 since a 43 doesn’t exist (fixed)! And as @idle453.87595 kindly pointed out, #40 is on DCUI, it just isn’t in the correct order. Worry not, however, I’ve documented that error to be corrected when our team gets the chance!

4 Likes

Issue #42 was actually released last week on July 26th. It’s not in the directory with the rest of the Icon series though, so I’ve flagged that with the team to make sure the set is complete.

As for the mysterious #43, I’m still chasing it up with the team. Issue #43 does not exist, but I want to clarify with them why this is listed before removing it entirely. It could be an error, but it could also be some magical secret that’s been hidden underground for 40 years. Anything can happen in 2022.

I’ll keep you posted!

3 Likes

Issue 42 is between issues 24 and 25.

2 Likes

Someone’s got their eagle eyes today. Thanks for the flag, I’ll update my ticket with the content team to get that and #40 moved correctly.

3 Likes

I’ve read most of those SHAZAM! issues in a Showcase Presents Trade Paperback but I would love to read them here in color!

3 Likes

Like many here I do wish that more of the big sellers of the Silver Age were coming through on the newly archive like Superman and Batman series that aren’t yet digitized, however I was thrilled to see this little gem at the end!!!

The Secret Society of Super-Villains (1976-1978) : 1

I already own all the issues, however it is one of my favorite series of the Bronze Age and it’s very exciting to see that that’s finally being digitized.

5 Likes