What Were the Titans Producers Thinking Casting Actors for Raven and Beast Boy With Such a Large Age Difference

This came up in a different thread but didn’t want to veer to far off topic so I thought I would ask it here. But does anyone know if it was ever stated why they cast two actors the ages Tegan Croft and Ryan Potter are to play the roles when the show clearly wrote them (at least initially) to be romantic interest, or at least potential romantic interest?

I get the characters are not supposed to have as big of an age difference as the actors playing them. But having an underage girl and a guy who was in his early 20’s to play opposite each other that way seems from the get go would always be a problem. Because especially in this day and age when that info is readily availiable having any kinds of displays of public affection was going to be uncomfortable.

I am glad to see the show didn’t just have them kiss anyway, which shows and movies have done in the past under the pretense the characters are supposed to be closer in age. And it is uncomfortable both for obvious reasons, and with what has come out in Hollywood over the years makes me question the movies of whoever decides that is a good idea. So the show 100% did the right thing basically toning down the characters romance subplot.

But why even get themselves in that position in the first place? I don’t deny they both play their roles well but they still kept the romance hints initially before toning it down in season 2. I mean I guess they might figure they could wait until Tegan was 18 but that would be like season 4 or 5… which is a respectable run for a network TV show but for a streaming show is further then most go.

Maybe given what it was up against when season 1 was being made (while it worked out putting it as an expensive show on a streaming service that was far from guaranteed to succeed, and more or less sadly didn’t maybe they just figured why worry about beyond season 1). But it just baffles me why they did it. Either they should have gone a different way with one of them or just killed the romance angle entirely. Especially since even if the fans are not aware of the actors age, they are basically still teasing fans with something they may for reasons beyond their control never get to pay off.

Just seems weird choice both to cast like they did and to continue to tease a romance after they went with those two actors.

7 Likes

For me, the age difference matters when they physically look in different age ranges. Tegan is awesome, but she looks her age as does Ryan. I agree, I would just kill any hint of romance at all between the two. Now, the only note I’d make is that in the old world 5 seasons meant 5 years. Now, it could be 5 years or it could be 7 or 8. If it got that long and their was some spark between the characters, go for it

4 Likes

I’m thinking maybe their plans changed after they cast both actors in their respective roles. They probably realized that if they wanted their ideal choices for Raven and Beast Boy, they’d have to cut out the romance element. I can’t imagine they enjoyed doing that, but they probably figured it’d be worth it to have the actors they wanted across multiple seasons at the expense of one story thread. But if Titans’ run does go past when Teagan turns 18, I still wouldn’t want to see Raven and Gar get together at that point, seeing as how the age difference would still be creepy (Ryan would be 27 at that point)

3 Likes

I don’t get it either. As much as I love this show and all, I can only ship BBRae in TT and TTG, not Titans :grimacing:

If they wanted to focus on the friendship first, then eventually romance when she is 18, then they should have chosen someone with a much smaller age difference, probably no more than 4 years. I really really hope that they can have a Dick and Donna relationship, where they are just really good friends and nothing more, at least in this show.

3 Likes

100% agree with you. Every time I see the two of them on screen together I get uncomfortable. I can only imagine how awful it must be for the two of them acting together. Titans has a lot of problem, but their age gap is easily the biggest one for me honestly. Just so weird.

4 Likes

yeah orginally I thought Teagan looked young when I found out she was actually that young and Ryan that much older, :face_vomiting: I am hoping they try to make their relationship more older brother younger sister

3 Likes

Yeah there relationship right now to me seems like good friends which is nice. If both actors are fine with them going further then that’s them if not wait till 18 or not at all.
As for when she’s 18 and the age gap. My parents have a 9 year age gap and no one batted an eye. Overall as long your of legal age be with who want to be with. :+1: just my thoughts.

3 Likes

Wow, she is much younger than I though she was.

2 Likes

How old is Gar in the series, cause that would be a big factor for me. Maturity wise he doesn’t seem that much more mature than her. I’ve seen plenty of shows were a much older guy is playing the love interest of a much younger girl. They do that in Disney all the time. Brenton Thwaites is like 9 years older than the girl who played Sleeping Beauty and no one batted an eyelash.

2 Likes

I think Gar is supposed to be like 16 or 17.

3 Likes

Some people - especially in today’s social climate - would object to an underage actress engaging in an onscreen romantic relationship with an adult actor even if both actors’ characters were underage.

6 Likes

I completely agree, because of the age difference between the actors, a romance shouldn’t be put between them, it should be a sibling relationship.

4 Likes

Gar is indeed supposed to be around Rachel’s age.

3 Likes

teagan was like 14 when they made season 1, Ryan was like 22, no 14 year old should be forced to display a romantic relationship with a twenty year old man

4 Likes

If you think that’s bad, the movie “Mid90s” is even more disgusting. There was a gross scene of an 11-year old and a 20+ year-old making out.

1 Like

:face_vomiting:

4 Likes

I haven’t thought about it before, but yeah, it is a little odd that they cast an authentic teen for Raven and a CW-style 20s guy who looks young for Beast Boy – especially since Gar is typically the youngest member of the group.

I would imagine that if they decide to do a romance plot for Raven, it will be with a character and actor closer to her age, maybe they’ll bring in a younger version of Kid Flash and do that romantic plot? Probably the New 52/Rebirth version, not the Wolfman/Perez one.

3 Likes

A younger Raven, a slightly older Beast Boy, a slightly older Jason Todd as well, and a very much older Bruce…

Seems like this age issue applies more than just Teagan and Ryan.

1 Like

Unless something changed with the characters in the latter half of Season 2, Titans has already set up the Rachel/Gar romance storyline, and so I don’t think it matters to the series’ production team that some people might be ‘squicked out’ by Teagan being underage and Ryan being of legal age.

2 Likes

I don’t know if RP and TC kissed or have a romance on the show maybe i will stop being fan of teagan because imagine that even she’s 18 year’s old they shouldn’t even kissed teagan is so young…Sad but I will stop being fan of her if they kissed at the show​:crossed_fingers:i mean it i really mean it​:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::neutral_face: