What Was Your Reaction to Your First Comic Book Store?

Correction: It was Bryan, TX. Sheesh I am getting old.

1 Like

Yeah vroom!!!

1 Like

Aw poor Mesa Az ! Lol ! That Gotham comics isn’t too bad tho…picked up a lot of back issues from them. :diamonds::black_joker:

1 Like

Aw poor Mesa Az ! Lol ! That Gotham comics isn’t too bad tho…picked up a lot of back issues from them. :diamonds::black_joker:

@HarleenNapier, is that Gotham City Comics and Coffee your referring to or a different store?

1 Like

Bob City Comics in the late 80’s in Framingham, MA I thought it was the coolest place. They had comics, poster, collectibles and t shirts that you couldn’t get anywhere else. To this day I have yet to see a comic book store that measures up to that store

1 Like

I can tell you what it was like seeing comics in Walmart for the first time. I thought it was awesome! I am a new comic book reader, so I was super excited.

1 Like

@Vroom yup that’s the one…although I’ve never seen the coffee lol ! :diamonds::black_joker:

1 Like

Capp’s Comics in Mentor, OH. After years of reading the collected Sunday funnies in the News Herald (which came bound in a standard comic format book each week!), I finally found my way to the comic shop. Bought Amazing Spider-Man during the Bagley days plus some Batman and a few “funny” books like Alf and Bill &Ted. Continued to save my $ and collect for years but lapsed in college. Came back just before the New 52 took hold. Love it. My current shop, Dreamland Comics in Libertyville, IL, is my favorite trip each week.

1 Like

@RobertDeBeero Haha. I actually couldn’t tell you. I was a kid, and it was my first comic store, so it seemed huge to me. This was some time around 1993. We moved out of Arizona in 1997. I haven’t been to Gilbert since. Glad to hear the downtown is looking nice.

1 Like

The first comic book store that I remember visiting was Everett Comics and Cards, back in about 1985 or so, but the Cards guy later moved to his own store, so it became Everett Comics, and they are still around today.

On my first visit there, I was with a gal, not sure if it was my ex-wife, or another gal I was seeing soon after the ex moved out. I had seen second hand stores that had a few boxes of old comics in them, but I had never seen a store with that many comic boxes, and a huge selection of new comics as well. It filled me with an old familiar longing to dream of fantastic things again. If I had had any cash, I probably would have bought at least a few comics that day, but I was broke, so it goes.

It was not until a year or so later that I went back to that store, with some cash on that second visit, and got hooked on comics again.

The original store had a fire some time back, so I hear, but the new store is close to where the old one was, but I still have not been to the new store yet. The same guy still owns the new place, from what I have read. I may end up going for a visit to Everett Comics again sometimes soon, to see if I can get a better price for backing boards and bags. Some of my early books in the collection need new bags, and backing boards added.

There were other comic shops in Everett, and the surrounding area, but I always preferred Everett Comics. I liked the people there better, and the prices were usually better, at least with some things.

MACJR

1 Like

I was an in-betweenie, and I was terrified! I felt so overwhelmed, and I couldn’t open my mouth without being wrong about something-no matter how much research I did to not sound like a noob.
Of course, I got more confident with time, and I also learned quickly that no, the shop owners aren’t out to make me look like an idiot, I really was confusing the guacamole out of them.

1 Like

Anybody else wanna share?

1 Like

My first visit to a comic store was amazing. I was very young and my uncle went to collect his comics so I tagged along. I remember being mesmerized by all the collectibles and superheroes I knew nothing about at that time. When my uncle introduced me to the guy behind the counter he was so nice and he gave me a Marvel Thundercats comic (that I still have) and that was it, I was hooked. 30 years later and I still get excited when visiting a comic shop. I don’t think the feeling will ever change.

2 Likes

I was overwhelmed lol

4 Likes

Coins and Collectibles in Gadsden, Alabama. It was a boutique store in our local Sears. I loved it! To this day I get just as excited looking through back issues and covers (in online stores). Oh, I was 10

3 Likes

I was in awe. The most comics I had ever seen at that point was a row in the magazine racks at the corner bodega. Imagine going from that to an entire store filled with comics and comic book merchandise. To me it was heaven. I was lucky enough to be able to pick one item to take home and let me tell you, that was not an easy choice.

3 Likes

The first comic book store I visited was a bit of a discovery. My siblings and I were let loose from the house when we were little and would play out in the suburbs around our house. The comic store was on the other side of a creek and I believe we found it while exploring, but my memory is a bit hazy. It became a wonderful little escape whenever we were told to go outside and play.

2 Likes

I was incredibly overwhelmed

2 Likes

It was Bob’s Comic Castle, which still exists in my area of the world. My dad said I had to be good in the store and could not touch anything. I did that, but I was in amazement of these books. I was shocked that there were so many different types of superheroes in the comic book world. Then when I started becoming an adult and branching out more I was in amazement that a comic book store could hold so many different types of stories featuring so many different types of people. I started seeing slice of life comics, superhero comics, manga, and so much more in these shops. But that first experience has always cemented superheroes in my mind. I remember seeing all these different characters and knowing that comic books was a place I wanted to be. It wasn’t until an adult though that I have been able to embrace that more.

1 Like