What Was the First DC Comic Book You Remember Reading?

Near the start of DC’s100-page comics, mixing new stories with reprints. Couldn’t ask for a better jumping-on point

10 Likes

It’s strange. I know for a fact that I read DC books in the 70s (the Clark Bar “win a trip to Gotham (NY)” sweepstakes ad is burned in my memory from all those years ago. But I seriously do not recall a single issue. I remember seeing Detective 472 on a spinner rack.(as I recall, my sister dismissed the idea of introducing a new Batman and used that as an argument against getting the issue….I wouldn’t find out how the story played out until ten to fifteen years later!)
All that aside, I guess I’ll have to say that my two strongest memories of DC comics are a digest featuring adventures with Plastic Man and the Go;den Age Sandman, and a tie between Super Friends #40…. And Batman #334.
(This image haunted me for decades!)

7 Likes

Damn, a giant edition! That must have been some tantrum in the store! :smiley:

8 Likes

This was the first

I also own this comic

8 Likes

By the time Detective Comics no. 472 came out I was subscribing to comics! I had that issue, as well as the other Steve Englehart issues. They are still my favorite run of anything Batman related.

7 Likes

Growing up I read a trade of Crisis on Infinite Earths my dad had. I never read it all the way through, but I loved what I did read. I saw it as a Biblical epic, with metaphysical battles and a cast reaching across the corners of a vast multiverse. The death of Earth-3, Batman seeing Barry’s “ghost,” the initial meeting of heroes, the death of the Flash, and Wally carrying on Barry’s legacy were all standout moments to me.

9 Likes

co-signed

7 Likes

If I recall correctly, the purchase was more of a precautionary measure than a tantrum, haha.

8 Likes

I vaguely remember reading a couple of Batman and Star Wars comics as a kid when I found them in grocery stores, but the comic I actually remember reading first was The Dark Knight Returns.

7 Likes

Limited Collectors’ Edition C-21. My dad got this Captain Marvel anthology from his dad’s drugstore when he was a kid himself, and he gave it to me when I was just 3 years old. I’ve been reading comics ever since.

13 Likes

I loved Batman TAS so I picked up Robin 7.

I was confused. Bruce Wayne wasn’t Batman and Dick Grayson wasn’t Robin.

But ol’ Timmy Drake is still my favorite Robin to this day.

11 Likes

I knew the animators giving Dick Tim’s costume was going to mess up some fans eventually!

5 Likes

I remember going to visit family that was a 2-3 hour drive away and either my mom buying these when we got or before to keep me occupied during the drive. Good stuff!

8 Likes

8 Likes

Mom and Dad bought me this one when I was a wee lad. The cover terrified me. To be honest, I can still feel the fear a bit when I look at it now. (Note: Do not worry- Superman survives this issue).

At about the same time, I also got Star Wars #1. It was a pretty good year, actually. :grinning:

Like @TurokSonOfStone1950 I also was into Turok comics. Still am.

10 Likes

Not DC but the first comic I remember reading was Star Wars Republic 82

4 Likes

The universe was forcing comics on me from an early age. Not sure of the timeline without looking it up, but I used to eat a cereal called Cinnamon Mini Buns and for a month or so, they came with free mini comics. I got a Wonder Woman and the Star Riders comic, followed by a Superman comic.
McDonald’s had these fold out comics starring the Looney Tunes as DC superheroes. I had all 4.
First actual size DC comic I had came from 4 comics I inherited from an uncle who passed away. 3 of the books were Marvel, but the last one was a '70s House of Mystery/Secrets. Can’t remember which because it was part of a long box that got stolen.
And what really kick-started my life long passion was when my babysitter’s son gave me his comics which were Superman Vol 2 78 and Superman: Speeding Bullets.

3 Likes

I think I inadvertently came across your issue while looking for George Pérez art (he did the cover):

7 Likes

You mean aw by mysulf?

Maybe this one?

6 Likes

The first DC Comic I Read was JLA #9 back in 1997 when I was just 6 years old! I had no idea what was going on, but I enjoyed it!

Now decades later i’ve read hundreds if not thousands of floppies and hundreds of Graphic Novel collections!

7 Likes