What Should Be the Next Animated DC Film?

I also think that an adaptation of “Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader?” would be a great one to see.

3 Likes

High jinks ensue when Booster and Ted get unleashed in an animated feature.
Aquaman: The Search for Mera
Superman: Kryptonite Nevermore
An adaptation of Mike Grell’s “Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters”
And a science fiction offering featuring Adam Strange, Captain Comet and with the assistance of time travel, Space Ranger and Tommy Tomorrow.

7 Likes

If I randomly found a genie, and I was given three wishes, my first wish would be for Plasticman to have an animated movie. The next one would be for Chris Miller and Phil Lord to write and direct it. My final wish would be for John Mulaney to star as Plastic Man.

4 Likes

That’s a great idea, but I would have Bill Hader or Jim Carry as Plastic Man instead, Edgar Wright directing it (but Phil Lord and Chris Miller are good too), and I wouldn’t care if it’s animated or live-action.

4 Likes

I’d be down for a Doom Patrol animated film.

We’ve seen em’ in bits on Teen Titans (2003), a couple shorts, etc but with the live action show on-going maybe building on them more is the right move kinda like how they’re doing with the different iterations of the JSA in between live-action and animation right now.

5 Likes

They have already done a tv show, so why not?

2 Likes

I’d love to see them run with some smaller B-List or C-List characters. Zatanna, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, etc. The big players get representation all over the place in all kinds of media.

DC Animated Films tend to be watched by more dedicated comic fans (who would want to see these characters get representation) and children (who just wanna watch a superhero film and don’t really care who it’s about). So take advantage of the audience and the cheaper production budgets/risks of the medium to produce content for smaller characters.

If you do wanna boost sales by producing a movie using one of the big names, either pair them with a smaller character or use a variant of the charater. Wanna make a Batman film? Do Tim “Jace” Fox. Wanna make a Superman film? Do Jon Kent. Wanna make a Green Lantern film? Do Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz.

That’s just my take on the overall direction. If I were to pick a specific story to adapt, I’d go with Identity Crisis because I love the murder mystery element but wish it was less sexist and removed the r*pe subplot. Or do something like a Future State Justice League film/series of films.

3 Likes

I don’t believe they’ve ever adapted anything from Vertigo, but an animated SANDMAN MYSTERY THEATRE would be great, I think.

And maybe just do the first four issues, “The Tarantula,” or something like that…

Of course, HBO Max could always do this as a live-action series as well… it would be fairly easy to do, and not very expensive.

3 Likes

Already done.image

2 Likes

Already done. image

2 Likes

An animated film featuring all of these guys.

2 Likes

That’s a Justice League film. I’m aware that she’s existed in the Timm-verse. So has Booster Gold. Doesn’t really take away from my point.

2 Likes

This is also not really what I was talking about if you read my examples.

2 Likes

Make that as a secret six film and I think it would be cool. Add Catman and I think it would fully fill the line up. :+1:

1 Like

What would be fun is if they did an original Batgirl and Robin year one where Catwoman trains batgirl well Bruce trains robin. but written as a slice of life story of a superhero family instead of what we got with the long Halloween where we see dick and bruces familial bond develop over the next few years. and give dick and babs a better chance at a relationship instead of they love each other but did nothing to explore their feelings till 10 years go by and dick finally recovered from being ric.

2 Likes

A movie about every Robin. How they became Robin. What made them a great Robin, and how they stopped being Robin (where are they now).

It could be lead by Damian as he looks at all the Robins past and their journey (he read archives and watched footage on the computer in the Batcave.

6 Likes

A movie about Justice League recruiting new heroes.

Where The original JL look at a bunch of heroes and judge them on their performance, while reflecting on what they could have done to be a better team (I say reflect, but I mean they argue about each other not being the best).

4 Likes

Welcome back to the community, @DCMaster52! :wave: Both of those movies sound like great ideas; I especially like the Justice League one. I’m hoping to see some great Robin-to-Robin interaction in the upcoming comic series in November. :00_robin:

Please let the moderator team know if you need anything! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

I think an animated of the main man, Lobo, could probably be one of the best movies ever. Just look at this image and tell me you wouldn’t want to see this dude fragging people for an hour and half.

3 Likes

They could take any live action script that didn’t go forward (Sam Hamm’s Batman Returns, Kevin Smith’s Superman, Frank Miller’s script with Aronofsky, Tom King’s Apokolips) and I think people would snap it up as an animated film

2 Likes