What’s Your Problem With Bendis?

Turns out this is true. I googled it and you are right.

I definitely read Civil War though and the only books I was buying from Marvel at that time were Bendis written books (or so my memory assumed). So perhaps he wrote some things that were tie-ins, or the Iron Man announcing to the world who he was in a Bendis book? Like whatever name the Avengers book was (the new, the secret?).

1 Like

Bendis took over Iron Man in 2015

1 Like

Bendis wrote The New Avengers, which might be what you’re thinking of. Apparently he wrote the first two volumes, which lasted seven years. I didn’t realize he was on it so long. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Brubaker wrote Secret Avengers. Also from that era. He’s another favorite writer of mine…

2 Likes

I forgot about Brubaker. I loved his Captain America, I haven’t been able to get into the series as much after he left it.

3 Likes

That’s pretty much how I felt when I discovered Bendis, he was writing Daredevil, not a character I really care for, but I loved the story. Bendis left and Brubaker took over, it was still great! Then when Brubaker left… so did I.

1 Like

Bendis is like a comics Tarantino…
Good at his specialized genre, but not a good fit for everything.

2 Likes

It’s not that I don’t like him evolving, It’s just rapid change over 2 years is very poor and feels shaky. If we were to get a few more years of Tomasi, Gleason, Jurgens, and whoever came next, then I would be ok with John growing up because It would have felt the idea has run its course and now John can move on.

2 Likes

This is exactly what DC should do, work him up to a more heavy title over time and keep his focus on one book

2 Likes

That’s a perfect character for him.

1 Like

The thing I said about Bendis, I’ll take some back. He is a talented writer. What change my mind? I found out today that he actually co-wrote Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-man, which was one of my favorite series.:man_facepalming: