What’s Your Favorite Riddler Adaptation?

Just recently I made a thread about what the best Penguin adaptation was. Well now I’ve realized I can take that idea up a notch and maybe do some more Batman villains. Starting with the Riddler! I think it’s pretty close between Arkham Riddler and Justice League Action Riddler for me, but I’ll go with Arkham Riddler simply because he’s had a lot more appearances than just one episode of a TV show nobody remembers (sadly.)

6 Likes

I love Gotham have you seen Gotham i love that Ridler

5 Likes

I think Gotham Riddler is pretty good. Great idea to make him work for the GCPD, I just thought the execution was a little mixed. Cory Michael Smith’s performance makes it more than forgivable though.

2 Likes

Ya I think he is misunderstood because Harvey always said he had problems I thought that was pretty harsh you know

3 Likes

Definitely Arkham Riddler for me. Wally Wingert just perfectly nails the arrogance and narcissism that Edward should always bring to the table, and he’ll forever be the definitive Riddler in my view

I’ve also gotta shout out Cory Michael Smith for being a close second on Gotham. His performance was always consistently great, and the show also gave us my personal favorite Riddler moment of all time. To me, this perfectly encapsulates Ed’s motivations as concisely as possible not just in the series, but really in any iteration (when he’s written well). He doesn’t have a secret desire to lose all the time, but that need to come as close as possible to the edge and then having the strength to come back from it really just makes him an even more compelling character

I’m really hoping this element will be explored further in The Batman, and I can’t wait to see what Paul Dano brings to the role

4 Likes

I completely agree. I hope Paul Dano doesn’t go too dark with the Riddler, it’s practically impossible to tell, but this Riddler looks like he trying to reach some sort of social commentary as oppose to just outsmarting Batman. That kind of motivation has only ever worked in Zero Year.

1 Like

I can’t imagine the movie not going really dark w/ any of its characters, though there does need to be at least a certain lighter element to someone like Riddler. But w/ the proper care when it comes to the writing, a different interpretation of his character can definitely still work so long as they don’t completely stray from what makes him interesting at his core, and I’m confident they’ll stay faithful in that regard

2 Likes

The Arkham one again. Those trophies made him the true villain. :sweat_smile:
But seriously is was a great portrayal of him with a nice voice to fit.

2 Likes

The Riddler is my favorite Batman villain and its really hard for me to pick just 1 favorite adaptation so I’m going to name a few!

Telltale’s Riddler is a wonderfully dark take on the character. That version of The Riddler was a Jigsaw style terrorist who could go toe to toe with Batman on a physical and intellectual level. This dude managed to make Bane subservient to him. BANE!

Next up would be Gotham’s Riddler. He was a good mix of campy fun and genuine terror. He was unpredictable and Cory Michael Smith knocked it out of the park with his performance! I also really liked his on again off again relationship with Penguin.

3 Likes

It’s so easy to say Frank Gorshin, but to be honest I have to go with Batman the Animated series Riddler, cause he’s a bit more serious and can be a dangerous villian. :riddlerhqtas:

3 Likes

Truth be told I haven’t played the second season of Batman Telltale, but I liked what I saw of the Riddler on the internet. The hood is a tad edgy, but it’s a pretty interesting alternate take no doubt.

2 Likes

The hood grew on me after awhile but I get its not everyone’s cup of tea.

2 Likes

I love The Riddler on Gotham. Cory Michael Smith did a great job. That having been said, I think my favorite interpretaiotn would be Frank Gorshin. Think about it. Prior to Batman '66 The Riddler was a pretty minor character. Prior to the TV series, he had only appeared three times: Detective Comics no. 140 (October 1948), Detective Comics no. 142 (December 1948), and Batman no 171 (May 1965). It seems likely to me that it was Frank Gorshin’s portrayl of the character that got him into the major leagues.

2 Likes

I’ve seen some make the argument that Frank Gorshin’s Riddler was Batman’s arch enemy instead of the Joker and I find it hard to disagree.

3 Likes

I do think there is some truth to that.

2 Likes