What’s Your Comic Book Habit of Reading and Collecting?

I used to only buy TPB to maximize my reading and catch up, so i have a lot of them. I have a lot of single issues from when I was a kid, so now I collect single issues that either a) has a cool cover and/or b) complete a limited story arc.

Just curious what you do especially since we have the infinity service. Like do I want to wait for Future State now or wait for the digital? The covers are hot. My brother said he had to complete his collection and doesn’t recommend it bc :money_with_wings::money_with_wings::money_with_wings:

So anyway, do you buy physical ones even if you can read it here?

15 Likes

I personally buy physical ones. There’s just something about them that reads better then just on a screen. I have a lot of Batman material so I hope that eventually I will Omnibutize some of them so they are collected in a nice hardcover sized format. Here is what it looks like now.

12 Likes

I’ve been all digital for about ten years. Occasionally will pick up a collection of something if I really want a hard copy but that is rare. I’ve got this service plus Marvel Unlimited and ComiXology Unlimited, and I pick up new releases, sales etc - all in all WAY more stuff than i have time to read. Truly a plethora of riches. 8 year old me would never believe it.

11 Likes

I prefer floppies and TPB over digital because I tend to find them easier for me to read.
I REALLY love having a full run of a short series in the original issues (like Tom King’s Adam Strange, for example).

I also love love love corny stuff from the bronze age, so I tend to pick up a lot of random issues here and there. Never a complete run, but if I like the story, I’ll pick up the whole arch.

9 Likes

I’m a digital dude now but I do buy some old comics that aren’t on here. For example, I bought this recently.

10 Likes

I agree that paper is easier to read. Sometimes looking at a screen for too long hurts my eyes.

8 Likes

I read stories digitally first and then will buy them in physical form if I really liked them. Being able to hold the stories in my hands helps me feel closer to them, and I don’t count on always being able to access stuff digitally. Since collecting can get expensive, I place top priority on buying favorite stories or ones part of a collection I already have going.

6 Likes

I can’t walk far beyound my apartment and can’t see very well

So buying physical copy is out for me.

I get comics digitally from Comixology each week.

I now only buy DC, with the exceptions of Fantastic Four, Daredevil and anything by Mark Russell like Red Sonja

I am in some ways glad that DC reduced its regular title output, because most issues were terrible, in relation to the great eras of early Rebirth and the Bronze Age.

I am very behind. Have read only a little Death Metal and no Future State.

My tablet died on me.

My phone screen is too small. I usually watch an issue by page and only occasionally do the panels. Going constantly from Portrait to Landscape is very inconvenient so I get the idea of the story but not its true flavor.

I bought a laptop recentlyband use it mostly for WALs.
I can’t read the words on the menus too well with my vision and it’s too big and heavy to hold close up.

6 Likes

I agree that having a copy in your hand is useful for some of the spreads. I look at the digital copy sometimes and I know I’d have to get the physical copy to enjoy the full spread. Especially how DC does some of their spreads.

4 Likes

Make the trek to the comic shop every week or two for DC and and a few titles from the smaller companies. Haven’t read Marvel in a couple of years, I like them but love DC. Have some hardcovers too. But, for me nothing beats walking around with 20 or 30 comics wherever I am on my IPad.

5 Likes

For the last couple of years I have gone mostly digital. The exception being if there is a variant cover by an artist I like I will pick up a physical copy.

2 Likes

I get decision paralysis over variant covers sometimes… they are tempting.

3 Likes

Agree and I have controlled myself and not bought all the ones I like. I do have a rather large folder on my pc of saved variant cover pictures, so at least I can enjoy without paying for everyone.

1 Like

I’ve been using digital for a few years now, mainly due to space. When I was living with my family, I had a small corner of the living room and a lot of that was filled with my comic boxes, trades and custom comic bindings. I moved out a few years ago and suddenly had all this space, but now I have to be careful with not only what I buy but where I’m gonna put it.If there is a comic I really want physically (like the Earth One books) I have to really justify buying it and where I’m gonna put it when I’m done.

Digital helps in that I can buy all the comics I want and I don’t have to worry if I have room in my long boxes or not.

3 Likes

I got into comics because of Marvel Unlimited and happily subscribed here when it launched as DCU. I was buying a few series on ComiXology for a while to keep up, but the expense caught up to me.

As far as collecting physical copies I’m just not into it. First I live in a small apartment and just don’t have room. Also I just like reading the continuing stories, I don’t really care to collect.

3 Likes

I’ve recently begun keeping a record of the comics that I’ve read for the 2021 reading challenge. I guess I’m “collecting” experiences and recording them in my Reading Challenge Google Doc. I’ve also just posted a mini review on a couple of the comics I’ve read, I guess that helps with the records of my experience, lol…

2 Likes

Is that a reading challenge here on DCUI? Or are you doing it on another website? I write in a book journal of what I read… I would otherwise forget!

1 Like

Here’s the reading challenge. I’m currently trying to make reading comics more memorable and fun for myself, so I’m trying different things to really make my experiences count. I currently am doing a thing where I occasionally record some notes on the comics I read so that by the end of the month I can have a summary that has some information on comic related stuff I did over the month, as well as two personal reviews on select stories. I’m currently trying to really expand this experience, so I’m still experimenting.

2 Likes

Here is a quick flip through of my book journal for the Batgirl 52 series. I printed the covers onto sticker pages and wrote a summary or what I liked about the story… Or disliked. I have fancier spreads but I wrote as I read to keep up! Still haven’t finished.

7 Likes

ooh nice! :grinning: :+1: I wish I was that neat lol

2 Likes