What’s Your All-Time Favorite DC Comic?

What’s your all-time favorite DC comic? The one that would make you say to someone, “You HAVE to read this!”. For the purposes of this question, you can choose a long-running series, one writer/artist’s run on a series, a single issue, a limited series, a one-shot… whatever you feel fits the criteria. BUT, please choose only one, your absolute, all-time favorite comic. I know it’s hard to choose just one. But that’s kind of the point. :slight_smile: I’m curious to see what everyone says.

6 Likes

Sandman

4 Likes

Detective 2016 by Tynion.

I looked forward to receiving each issue

Runner ups
Superman 2016
Wonder Woman 2016

Picked because it was the most stand alone title with only one crossover.

Characters introduced from scratch.

Best issue Judging Batwoman

Best Character Dr Victoria October

Then Orphan.

5 Likes

The Batman Adventures
Superman Adventures
Detective Comics
Batman
Action Comics
Superman
:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

It’s hard to say

My favorite are:

Kelly Puckett Batgirl run

Gail Simone’s Secret Six

Wonder-woman Dead earth by Daniel Warren Johnson

Batman Universe by Brian Michael Bendis

Mister Miracle by Tom King

Justice league international by Keith Griffin and J.M DeMattesis

Flash 1987-2009 (The William Messner Loeb and Mark Waid run)

However what made me feel happy to be a comic book fan is Paul Dini and Alex Ross Shazam: Power of Hope

3 Likes

I would have to say either

or this

Joe Keatinge had a lot of great ideas for such a short story, and perhaps his reach overshot his grasp in some parts, but it still brings a lot of feels and has some great art. Apparently, he had an interest in a Superman ongoing based in this verse and I would have really enjoyed seeing that. Goddess know what he’s doing, apparently since his Image books didn’t sell, he hasn’t even been doing any writing, unless you can ‘writing’ for vidya to be actual writing.

And Morrison is Morrison. I’m not sure what I could say about All Star that hasn’t been said by someone, somewhere already.

It also has some flaws. I mean, JLo? But again, it also has deep feels.

I think in all art - whether I’m talking about sculpture or a painting in a museum or gallery (or simply in someone’s home), or something on tv or in a theater, or a performance on stage, by musicians or actors, or my oldest and fondest form of creation, books, what I want most of all is to feel something and to feel it deeply, and both of these do that, very much so.

3 Likes

You all know the answer from me. A story so epic Bruce Timm had to adapt it into not 1, but 2 movies despite it only being 4 issues long.

7 Likes

The Sandman is the comic that first showed me the storytelling potential of the medium, and I still hold it in the highest regard.

4 Likes

Kingdom and Kingdom Come. Great stories.

6 Likes

All-Star Superman.

4 Likes

The Dark Knight Returns.

4 Likes

Great pick.

2 Likes

Batman: Year One
Superman Annual #11/ “For The Man Who Has Everything”
Batman #251 “The Joker’s Five-Way Revenge”
Adventures Comics #'s #369 & 370 (first appearance of Mordru)
Flash (vol 2) #54 “Nobody Dies”
Aquaman #'s 40-48 “The Search for Mera”

2 Likes

Anything Frank Miller, call me a Frank Miller Stan I don’t care
Wonder Woman New 52 by Brian Azarello
The Original Year One of Batman, as in his first year in publication
Batwoman New 52

2 Likes

Great pick.

2 Likes

A few that spring to mind, more or less in order (also not doing runs, only stories):
The Long Halloween
Red Son
TDKR
All Star Superman
Kingdom Come
Death of Superman
Hush
What’s so Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way?

My favorite? hm… I don’t know could it possibly be…

No Man’s Land!!

I love the idea and setting more than the story itself. It’s the perfect environment for Batman but he still has to adapt to it. I have some ideas about the Batman timeline and this story marks a clear transition between old and modern to me.

4 Likes

A lot of good suggestions here. I’ve always come back to John Ostrander’s Suicide Squad.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @kjdonlin1973.44048! :partying_face: Great choice.

Please don’t hesitate to let the moderator team know if you need anything. :00_suicide_squad:

4 Likes

The Killing Joke

2 Likes