what’s the difference between the 1993 and 2013 Death of Superman?

I’ve been researching about
the “Death of Superman” and I wanna buy the comic book on Amazon, but they have two different versions of it. The 1993 with 168 pages while the newer one has 160. I know it might not be a huge difference, but I just wanna know which one is the best one to buy? Please help!!!

1 Like

The 1993 is the famous one. I haven’t heard of the new one. The 1993 was awesome. Has my full recommendation.

2 Likes

Go with the higher page count

1 Like

Generally when one book has a higher page count it includes either a forward by someone in the industry talking about the historical context of the work or an artist gallery or some such additional content. If there isn’t a price difference to factor in go with the book with more pages.

2 Likes

Looking it up on Amazon, there was a new printing of it in 2013. It’s the same book as the 1993 trade, just a newer printing.

The best option for The Death and Return of Superman in trade paperback form is the five volume run from 2016 that debuted in conjunction with the theatrical release of Batman v Superman. They included some material that wasn’t in the previous trade run that was available in multiple printings from 1993 to early 2016.

You could always get the Death and Return omnibus but the individual five volume run from '16 is most likely cheaper.

4 Likes

Nice Underdog reference.

If you’re into digital, all five volumes of D&R are on sale for $4.99 each. $25 for everything is a heck of a good deal. These are the volumes published in 2016 that do contain the whole shebang.

I think that new omnibus is due out next year. I’m slightly interested in it (depends on what Amazon’s final price will be) because it’s tempting to have the whole honkin’ story in one big honkin’ book.

2 Likes

Don’t buy the 2007ish omnibus. It’s heavily edited and missing some pages.

I just checked and JLA #69 and the Newstime mag are in the 2016 edition of Death.

1 Like

Print and digital. I used to have the print version and clear as day remember it there and I checked my digital copy and they’re there.

$4.99 on the DC app :wink:

1 Like

You’re welcome =)

Hmm, I don’t know. I would go with the DC app listings. Amazon has a tendency to mislabel things from time to time.

1 Like

Bloodlines was an event in the annuals of most of the ongoing titles in 1993. I know Eradicator and Cyborg Superman were part of it but I don’t immediately recall if Superboy or Steel were. Those annuals are in the '16 D/R trade run simply because they feature Cyborg Superman and Eradicator. They’re not part of D/R, it’s just that Bloodlines was occurring at the same time.

The Jean Paul Batman was also featured in Bloodlines but none of the annuals he’s in are part of Knightfall/Quest/Knightsend.

The current D/R trade run features everything from those stories plus sideline material (as I call it) not part of those stories that featured characters from that story. I hope that makes sense =)

I don’t recall any profanity at any point of those stories so you should be fine.

1 Like

Between print and digital, the content should be identical. I’ve not noticed any indiscrepancies.

You’re welcome. Happy to help.