What non-superhero comics do you read? Why?

Oh yeah I totally forgot Saga and Chew. And for those who haven’t read either… YES, they are as good as people say!

I cast a wide net over superhero as well. Hellboy, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Doctor (Who), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Luke Skywalker. It’s all superheros to me.

1 Like

I have a very strict definition of superhero: typically someone with an alias clad in a costume or uniform that works to right wrongs in the world.

Hellboy sounds like a superhero, but is more a paranormal force for good IMO. Buffy Summers and The Doctor aren’t superheroes from my POV.

2 Likes

@Vroom I think that is a solid definition. Well done, sir. slides a cup of celebratory tea over

2 Likes

Why thank you kind sir! sips tea Mmm, Earl Gray!

Of course, “superhero” can also apply to people who are heroes to a super degree: family, friends, DC Universe staff and members, teachers, medical professionals, police officers, firefighters, EMTs, etc, etc.

Deadly class… love the art style and have literally laughed so loud multiple times I have been yelled at by my wife to keep it down.

1 Like

I really enjoyed some of the Vertigo titles like Fables, and Y the Last Man.

Outside of superhero books there has been a lot of good stories, I’m more partial to the crime/mystery/sci-if myself. I have absolutely loved titles such as Eclipse by Kaplan, East of West by Hickman, Kill or be Killed by Brubaker, and Revival by Seeley. What I like most about these stories are that the series builds up to a climax and then goes into a definitive ending. With most major superhero titles we do not get closure with these heroes and their stories because they continue to go on forever. As much as I do love reading superhero titles I tend to get burnt out over reading storyline after storyline and seeing character growth but not getting closure to a hero’s life journey. I don’t think that there is a specific story genre that could not work in the comic medium so long as the writer and artists have a shared vision for the story they are telling.

1 Like

Any fans of manga or the Image series Paper Girls?

1 Like

@Vroom I am I believe three trades into Paper Girls and am really digging it. I need to get back to it.

1 Like

@Kess013 Thank you for that excellent list. I definitely agree that having a conclusion for some characters is desirable. My favorite comics are the ones that feel complete from issue, to trade collection, to finished series. In other words, synecdochical modularity in a comic series is nice.

I read Paper Girls when it started and dropped it and other Image titles when Rebirth began.

I haven’t revisited it, but I saw a new digital trade or two came out this werk. They got me to thinking of the series again.

this week

Werk it, @Vroom!

1 Like

I feel like genres such as fantasy, sci-fi and horror work really well as comics regarless of the prescense of muscles under colorful spandex. They are very visually descriptive by nature and lend really well to the medium.

1 Like

Paper Girls!

2 Likes

Paper Girls is awesome!

2 Likes

I’ve been in love with Black Badge and Die. One is the boy scouts espionage and the other is adults who get sucked into a D&D game both are insanely good. Paper girls is also amazing can never go wrong with time travel

1 Like

Giant Days from Boom Studios. Oblivion Song. Gideon Falls. And Unnatural from Image.

1 Like

The Realm it’s a post apocalyptic fantasy story It’s Seth Peck and Jeremy Haun
I really enjoy it

1 Like

Exit Stage Left : The Snagglepuss Chronicles