What Makes Them Your Favorite

Everybody has a favorite hero or villain (sometimes several lol). What are aspects of your favorite characters that make them your favorite? Have you learned any lessons from them over the years? What does being a hero mean to you, and does your favorite character fit the bill?

3 Likes

I have been a Batman fanatic since I was 4 years old (I’m in my thirties now) and I have asked myself this question several times and honestly I can’t think of an answer. I just love Batman and all things Batman related. I could give some stock reasons to why I think he’s cool but it wouldn’t be be THE answer. He was, is and will always be my favorite. It just feels right. Sorry this isn’t really an answer lol.

1 Like

I have always thought that anyone could be a hero. Shazam is my favorite. He has taught me that even without powers, gadgets, and gizmos. I can be a hero, and strive to do what is right.

1 Like

The basic concept of a superhero comic book is protectors of the innocent I think most people identify with that concept standing up for something they believe in

I am somewhat of a environmentalist so I gravitate towards characters that are concerned about the environment Swamp Thing Poison ivy Aquaman

But I also like characters that protects the underdog Batman Superman the list goes now

Not really sure if that answers the question but that’s the answer I’ll give

1 Like

As a Batman fan, I’ve got a few main reasons:

• I grew up watching Adam West Batman and the animated Justice League, so I’ll admit to part of it being shameless nostalgia.
  • I love the entire world and cast of Gotham City, and I like Batman in his capacity as the centerpiece and symbol of all of that.
  • He’s very principled. He doesn’t kill people because that’s too much power for someone with no accountability to have. Not enough people understand how important that is.
  • The sheer wealth and variety of Batman stories there are is exciting.
  • He’s got all the best villains.
  • His backstory is simple but effective. The reason everybody’s sick of his origin is because it’s so simple - everybody gets it already.
  • He can be a cool dude without superpowers.
  • He (sometimes) relies on his wits as much as or more than his physical abilities.
  • Wherever he gets them, you have to admit all those wonderful toys are really cool.

There are very few superheroes with all of that going for them, and most of them are just other Bat-Family members.

1 Like

The Question is my favorite character, of course. What I admire and attempt to exemplify in myself is his pursuit of knowledge and unbending dedication to the truth, as well as his ability to acknowledge his own flaws and grow from them. The Question has taught me many things, but most of all that life is a constant rebirth.

1 Like

I love Zatanna, Raven, Catwoman, Batman, Superman as heroes. Plenty more, but to stick to my theme, which I’ll get to, those would be the ones that fit the bill as u said. Btw I consider Catwoman a hero since she’s neutral, & kind of a Robin Hood figure, steals from the rich, & doesn’t invite battle, but can handle it if it goes there.
Villains I’d go Lobo, Joker, Deathstroke, Shiva, & Ivy. Again plenty more.
Reasoning behind choosing them. They’ve all had to overcome hardships & turned it into a strength. Zatanna lost her father, Ravens father is figuratively , basically literally, the devil. Catwoman was brought up in an orphanage that was brutal. Escaped to the streets. Worked as a prostitute for a bit. Had to leave family & friends behind. Batman of course, lost his parents. Superman lost his planet. Villains- Lobo lost his planet a well. Joker, u know his story. Deathstroke lost his wife & son. Shiva was brought up rougher then Catwoman, our almost anyone ( I know Orphan & others were much worse, but picking my favorites) extremely tough background, & turned it into 1 of the best hand to hand fighters ever. Ivy lost everything while attempting to improve the environment, & was misunderstood. Turned it into a power that she could unleash serious damage with.
Lessons from all would be turning hardships into a strength.

1 Like

:penguin:Penguin as to be my favorite cause, for a villain he can act so innocent and before anyone notice, he commits crime! And it’s up to Batman & Robin to save a day, I also like his trick umbrella and his top hat! :tophat:

1 Like

All of these answers are really great!
My favorite character at the moment is Raven. To me, she takes protecting people one step further by easing their pain and calming their emotions, even at her own expense. Essentially protecting them not only physically, but emotionally as well. That level of selflessness is something I greatly admire, and it resonates with me deeply. I also relate to her relationship with her father, which is something that makes her feel that much more “real” to me.

And yes, it’s totally ok to not quite be able to put your finger on what makes a character your favorite-I know I certainly have a couple of characters I feel that way about!

1 Like

Jay Garrick no question. He was THE Flash obviously before any of the others even came around. He also has a sense of being a mentor/leader for various other characters. Also he’s a founding member of the JSA, so I guess the bottom line here is that he helped lay down the pavement early on to make way for many other characters, stories, etc.

2 Likes

Supes is my favorite because he embodies hope and he does what he thinks is morally right, even when it’s difficult.

My next favorite is Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman will protect the innocent by any means necessary, but her primary goal is to bring peace and love to our world - what a noble mission!

For both of them, their powers and abilities are obviously amazing, but I really love their core values.

2 Likes