What Makes Smallville A Great Show?

costumereveal
Recently Michael Rosenbaum & Tom Welling are hosting a podcast watch along, to talk about each episodes.
They’ll be talking about behind the scene and stuff.
With 10 season and 218 episodes, what makes Smallville such a great show?
Well there’s many things like the casting.
Tom Welling does amazing job playing young Clark Kent who’s on a very long journey to become Superman.
And you have Michael Rosenbaum who plays Lex Luthor who is on a path to become a evil Villain.
I also enjoy seeing other heroes like Aquaman, Green Arrow and Cyborg, it’s a shame that we’ve never got to see Batman or Wonder Woman on the series except they were mention in the show and seen in comics.
And there were some great episodes like when in season 2 & 3 with Christopher Reeves guest star on the show.
I also like the Zatanna episode and the two part JSA episodes.
And I definitely love the music even with the opening theme by Remy Zero.
While the show didn’t have a spin off, it did make way for future shows like Arrow, The Flash & Stargirl.

Here on DC Universe there is a club for Smallville with @Bar-El as a club leader, be sure to check it out and join so you don’t miss a thing!

Anyway as much as I love Superman and wondering when will Clark become a Man of Steel, this show does a fantastic job sharing his story and adventures.
They really meant it when they say, “No Flight, No Tight.” :slightly_smiling_face:
In your opinion What makes Smallville a great Show? What’s your favorite thing about it?

:smallville_fan_club:
:superman:

9 Likes

The insane level of suspense that leaves you on the edge of your seat, wanting to binge the show until Clark becomes a masterful super hero… :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

When Erica Durance arrives in Season 4.

8 Likes

Hawkman

11 Likes

1st & only live action Z.

8 Likes

Paging @Jurisdiction since I know you love this show so much.

7 Likes

I love it more.

5 Likes

O-kayyyyy? Nice to know… I think?

8 Likes

To me, I think what makes Smallville such a great show is that it inexplicably feels both timeless and contemporary to the 2000s. Looking at the special effects, the music selections, the clothing choices, not to mention the technology, it captures a very quaint 2000s-era aesthetic. At the same time, a lot of the major plots in the show are centered around family dynamics, the uncertainty the future holds, the guilt from past mistakes, etc, which I think everyone can resonate with on some level or another.

On top of that, and not to state the obvious, but its a Superman show where he fights bad guys and occasionally gets laid, so that alone makes it worth the watch! :rofl:
YARN | What more could anyone ask? | Superman (1978) | Video clips by quotes | 840059f2 | 紗

8 Likes

Thanks for the mic, @TheWifeOfJasonTodd!

Pre-Superman Superman. Suspense. Angst. 22-year-old Tom Welling. Action. Journalism. Superpowers. Nerds. CGI. Emotion. Dialogue. Growing up and growing on.

In other words, Smallville.

9 Likes

The aggressive pairing of comic books and soap operas, taking advantage of the similarities found in the two

The first live-action show given that was given the freedom to team up two or more DC heroes, and they made the most of it.

And just the level of success - with the current landscape of broadcast television and today’s tendancy towards a reduced # of episodes per season, it is hard to see another super hero show racking up that many episodes (Teen Titans Go claims 250 episodes, but that only counts as 125 half-hours of television in my book)

6 Likes

The writing, acting, directing, casting, music, Christopher Reeve’s guest appearance and the overall love and respect for not just Superman lore, but the lore of other DC franchises as well (The Flash, Justice Society, Legion of Super-Heroes and Zatanna, among others) are but a few of the things that make Smallville not just a great TV show in general, but the best live-action DC TV series of all time.

Oh, and Booster Gold, too. He makes everything great. :00_booster_gold:

7 Likes

Smallville is A Great Show Because All of the Reasons You Stated and More!
The Cast and Crew Were Great!
The Actors and Actresses Brought the Great Characters Too Life!
The Writing Was Great!
Green Arrow Was Great, So Was the Blur!
Enjoy Watching the Show, Over and Over, Again!
Smallville, is One of the Best Shows, Ever!

5 Likes

It created such iconic and definitive characters. I mean, to this day there still hasn’t been a good Lex Luthor, and Smallville’s been off the air for 2 decades so that says something.

5 Likes

As soon as Smallville ended, the CW started a show about the the number two hero on Smallville, and that begat a half dozen other DC shows on the CW network, and then that producer co-created Titans and Stargirl for DC Universe. So Smallville DNA remains evident all over DC’s televised content.

7 Likes

For me it just had the magic that a lot of shows miss. The entire cast, crew, and creative team gave their hearts to the show and you can see it. It’s one of those things you are lucky to get, and it’s literally magic. You have to be a little lucky and super dedicated to make it happen. They have the best cast in the world but the writing is outstanding! They all like each other and help boost each other because it was honestly a grueling 10 years especially for Tom who is in every episode and practically every scene! Yet they are all earnest. Although freak of the week got repetitive, they were able to adapt and evolve the show as the seasons progressed, trying new things and constantly moving the show forward so it didn’t get stuck trying to be what it was in the early years. As everyone has already said, the music, effects, sets, costumes, it’s all nostalgic but timeless at the same time. It’s fun and serious, suspenseful and carefree, all at the same time. Everyone who participated in making this show should forever be proud of what they did for us fans. This show is everything to me, and it makes me so happy to discuss it with this incredible and supportive community! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Now for my shameless plug to go join the club!

6 Likes

Shame on you.
DK43

6 Likes

That red leather jacket looks HELLA COOL!!!

5 Likes

I never liked it. I missed black and silver suit immediatly.

2 Likes

Exaxtly, because of Smallville we now have so many comic book shows on television.

2 Likes