What Issue/Book Should I Start With for Birds of Prey?

I am a Batgirl Enjoyer, I am a Black Canary Enjoyer, and I am a Gail Simone Enjoyer, so when it comes to BOP, what do y’all recommend as a starting point?

4 Likes

I mean, BoP vol 1 issue 1 (1999). It’s their first appearance.

(Also first appeared the year NML ran for. NML takes place canonically right before BoP. Dick and Barbara’s relationship starts in NML but I can’t recall any other actual tie between the two. Couldn’t resist a NML plug though.)

2 Likes

I originally just wanted to read the Gail Simone run but I decided to start at issue 1 and see how it went, and I highly recommend you do the same. It makes those issues all the better knowing what lead up to it. :00_birds_of_prey:

4 Likes

Start here:

Then continue here:

4 Likes

Yes, we actually covered the Showcase issues as well, so I have a list that should be a great BOP starter here:

And hope you join the BOP club, if you haven’t yet, @bookwormfitzpatrick.91230! This month part of our reading is the 1993 Black Canary series where she and Huntress and Oracle all team up for the very first time, way before Birds of Prey #1.

4 Likes

In addition to the other suggestions mentioned in the thread, you can always start with the first issue of Gail Simone’s run on BOP, as its chock-full of Oracle and BC:

2 Likes

You can start with either Dixon’s run or Simone’s run - both serve as excellent starting points! I personally prefer the Simone run, but Dixon’s run has a ton of really great and historical character work in it!

2 Likes