What Is Your Physical Book Preference?

When I first started reading comics I liked trades more but nowadays I prefer single issues

The main reason why I like them more is because it feels more authentic with all the covers and neat ads and stuff

also the old comic book smell is great

5 Likes

Started collecting single issues again very recently and Iā€™ve already decided to stop. Itā€™s just so inconvenient having to go out of my way to a comic shop every week to pick up pulls and it costs a fortune to keep up with and Iā€™m always left unsatisfied at the end because I just wanna keep reading the story.

It can be fun at times to chase a specific series, but overall its way cheaper, easier, and satisfying to just pick up trades whenever they drop.

5 Likes

Modern comics have ads but only for other titles or comic company merchandise or TV shows. Gone are the days of the fun ads that we used to see.

4 Likes

I happily admit that I heartily huff comics, be they new or old (and the older they are, the better the scent).

5 Likes

How am I supposed to buy Sea Monkeys now?

How can I sell Grit to win fabulous prizes?

Where can I buy joy buzzers and whoopie cushions?

Man, those were some fun ads, eh?

4 Likes

Donā€™t forget the ads for DC toys by:

• Mego
  • Kenner (Super Powers Collection)
  • Toy Biz
  • Kenner/Hasbro
  • Mattel

Itā€™d be rad to see ads for Spin Master and McFarlane DC product in current books.

TBH, the Batman: The Caped Crusader 100-Page Giant that was exclusive to Target last January effectively was one big ad for their then-new Batman toyline, but the idea still stands, nonetheless.

4 Likes

@D4RK5TARZ, when you say single-issues, youā€™re saying one-shots right?

3 Likes

Single issues are the individual, magazine-style issues that comprise a titleā€™s publication and are how most comics are published, before they come out in their eventual collected edition(s).

Various original graphic novels aside, the books in the DCUI library are single issues.

A one-shot is a single issue that is typically self-contained and is often, but not always, greater in size/content than a standard single issue.

Also, some one-shots can serve as a beginning or ending to a bigger story, or tie into a bigger story as well.

5 Likes

Oh. In physical copies, I prefer omnibuses or compendiums

4 Likes

Of which, ā€œtradeā€ can be an applicable shorthand term for, as ā€œtrade paperbackā€ is the industry term for a softcover print collection.

ā€œTradeā€ is also used as shorthand by many to describe most collections (including digital and hardcover editions) that are not Absolute Editions or omnibuses.

4 Likes

Since I have tens of thousands of individual issues, Iā€™d have to say singles.

However, I have quite the accumulation of trades, hardcovers and the like. In particular, I like collections for books that I will never find, will never be able to afford (any golden age, Showcase 4 and that kind of thing) or both. Therefore, I have a good many Archives and a lot of the Omnis, even though thereā€™s duplication between those.

On Omnibus books, I generally donā€™t get the ones I already have singles on, though, so no omni books on the more modern stuff.

4 Likes

I donā€™t know where you live or what the availability of shops are for you, but I try not to miss a week of going in to my preferred local shop. Itā€™s where you get to celebrate this glorious nerd-dom that is comic books with people who actually understand.

2 Likes

Sorry for the very delayed response. I, unfortunately, donā€™t have as much time to come on the forums as I used to. But, fair enough! I get that the experience is fun, but I can still go in on occasion to buy trades instead of single issues. I also have awesome sites like this and friend groups where I can totally geek out on my love for comics. But if the comic shop is where youā€™re able to find that experience, then I totally get why youā€™d enjoy going in!

3 Likes

I collect more single issues, but I always feel a lot happier when I buy TPs they save money and also give you little looks at concept art and other fun things you donā€™t get to see by buying the single issues.

4 Likes