What Is Your Opinion of Wonder Woman?

I actually really miss it, but I understand why it had to go. I liked the less powerful Wonder Woman with her mental radio and Invisible Jet (and Purple Healing ray), but that character was based in simpler times. More recently there was a series where the jet was a sentient “WonderDome” (actually an alien sentient crystal given to Wonder Woman by blind dwellers deep underground in Antarctica) that made a sweet flying lair for Wonder Woman, but its time has also passed. It’s funny how easy it is to forget the character’s past when you are swept up in the current story.

Fortunately, I have the hallmark ornament of the Invisible Jet hanging in my room where it will alway be there for me when I need it.

2 Likes

Mark Waid wrote an issue of Brave and the Bold where she used it to hide from and attack Superman while he was being controlled by Dr. Alchemy. Always loved that reminder that even though she can fly without it, the jet gives her a stealth option unlike any other on Earth.

4 Likes

She is perfect Trinity level material.

3 Likes

Wonder Woman really grew on me since I read the Perez series. I think she’s fundamentally a good character, who suffers a little from writers developing weird habits in writing her.

Basically, I’d boil my overall impression down into these points:

• Wonder Woman is pretty cool, and has more interesting rogues gallery and supporting cast than she’s given credit for. I haven’t read much Pre-Crisis stuff and I’ve been going roughly chronologically and am working on Rucka’s (first) run, so my impression is somewhat shaped by the limited period from which I’ve read things. I could talk more specifically about the runs I’ve read, but I’ve been fussing with this post for a while.

• I get the sense that a lot of writers try to overwrite each other because they think their take is going to Solve the Problem With Wonder Woman, when I’m not sure there is a problem other than the inconsistency itself.

• A lot of people get hung up on trying to justify her position in the Trinity, but that results in a lot of hamfisted comparisons to Superman and Batman which only serves to emphasize that she’s The Third Member of the Trinity. It’s just unfair because none of them were created to exist in comparison or opposition to each other. They’re all just supposed to be the heroes of their own stories.

• Writers of the Wonder Woman title, though varying in quality, are generally making a good-faith effort and mostly have a pretty good grasp of the character. Justice League writers, on the other hand, almost universally have no clue what to do with her. It’s actually kind of funny.

3 Likes

I’ve heard the same of Superman. I’m so glad you found a character you love this way. I’ve loved the big blue guy since I was 3 years old. You do you. I don’t know her, but you make your wife sound like she’s being a bit harsh in her analysis.

2 Likes

The detective solves the case in one sentence!

2 Likes

First, I will say I joined the book club in order to learn more about Wonder Woman, since she is a hero I have read the least. It also helped that when the book club started, it was with the Perez run and at the beginning.

I do like her with sword and shield. And somewhat impulsive. More recently, her leadership skills do shine in Justice League Dark (2018?) and very not impulsive.

I like how she embodies hero-ness |airquotes.gif|. This is seen more when she’s the primary character vs ensemble. And JL/JL:U is probably where she shines greatest in said team setting.

2 Likes

Three really good points. The first two made me think. I hadn’t made the comparison between writers in your first point I think because I have been so in the flow reading the stories I haven’t really stopped to consider it. I just kept rolling with the changes and moving on. Same with the Trinity. Felt a little off when reading it but now that you pointed that out to me I am not sure how I didn’t notice. The third one kinda slapped me in the face so I had to notice it. I plan on going back and hitting Justice League but right now they feel too off after focusing on just Wonder Woman for so long.

2 Likes

I’ve become fond of Superman after reading the Superman/Wonder Woman series (although my heart ached on behalf of Lois Lane and Steve Trevor). Nice that you’ve had fandom almost all your life.

My wife is all good. I think my overabundance of energy can make her somewhat tired. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s what I thought. I’m sometimes a bit enthusiastic with people who just don’t share my feelings. :wink:

3 Likes

I haven’t gotten to the Egyptian one yet. But I do own the first one. Still gotta read the sequel series to Percy Jackson. But yeah I think a Percy Jackson angle would help Wonder Woman. Let’s get Ric Riodian to write her :joy::joy:!!!
I will die on the mountain that Wonder Woman should be the leader of the JL before Superman and definitely before Batman! Neither are truly fit to be leaders imo. Batman is a liar and keeps things from his teammates. Superman… he’s too soft to be a leader.
And yeah I started Wonder Woman with New 52, Brian Azzarello’s run and I love it but it’s a shame that Wonder Woman’s best weapon has become an after thought. A sword is fine if you’re fighting like Doomsday or something or in a war. But otherwise Wonder Woman should be completely non-lethal. Now since thinking of it, I would like to see Themyscira as like a Camp Halfblood for demigods to protect and train.

3 Likes

she has had a lot of iconic runs/stories. Which is more than I can say for characters like the rogues, Roy Harper, Cheshire, etc. she’s had a tv show, films, multiple comics and cameoed in plenty more. She’s been part of the media zeitgeist for a long time. Not to the extent of someone like Batman, but she’s arguably the most iconic female comic book character, ever. Batman only beats her because people demand him more. But Wonder Woman is one of the cornerstones/pillars of DC and DC knows this.

3 Likes

She has better comics than a lot female characters and male ones too.

4 Likes

She can" stop a war with love". She’s the personification of strength, compassion, and tolerance. She’s freak’in Wonder Woman! Nuff said!

4 Likes

I am a fan of this era and I am not sure why. I do think Dr. Cyber is a big part of that. She does appear again in Wonder Woman 2 (2006) but I can’t remember if it was just on a computer screen or something like that.

I have been reading the 2006 series and the late 60s/early 70s series along with the new miniseries like Come Back to Me and the digital first Agent of Peace series.

A while back I started a discussion asking if Wonder Woman was the balance of the Trinity between Superman and Batman? I personally believe she is and that is pretty much where I see her. She is needed for Batman and Superman to work. Sure, there are numerous team-ups of Bats and Supes without Wonder Woman but when she is there, the balance is clear, at least to me.

What is your favorite era of Wonder Woman comics? I also suggest reading the Witching Hour crossover with Justice League Dark. It is a Wonder Woman heavy story with a great supporting cast.

4 Likes

Probably my favorite comic right now. I have been a fan since Perez wrote her in the 80’s.

5 Likes

Tough call. I really loved the original Golden Age stuff, even given the silliness. There was something magical about being at the beginning of her story. Perhaps it was all the freshness and energy therein. Golden Age Wonder Woman will always bring me a smile. That being said, the post-crisis material is really powerful stuff. Definitely not written for children (although in a sense neither was Golden Age). I loved Gail Simone’s run- she’s never disappointed me. Basically from Perez on it’s been 90% amazing with a few misses here and there. Right now I am reading the 2014 Sensation Comics and really enjoying them. Almost caught up to the present. Glad to be reading it, sad I’m almost done.

4 Likes

I was introduced to the character in the 90s growing up in Brooklyn with Super Friends. Not the best representation of the character(or any DC character). I dismissed the character as corny and outdated. I mean this is the era or grim and gritty comics for Heras sake.

I was reintroduced to the character with the 2000s Justice League cartoon. I remember the episode when she fought Superman. I thought “WHOA! Is she really whooping Supermans ass?!”
I realized there is more to this woman who flies an invisible jet.

After that I read a few Wonder Woman comics casually( Phil Jiminez issues. Solid stuff), Brian Azzarello (decent. Not my taste), Greg Rucka (old and latest run. Great stuff) and the legendary George Perez run (currently reading it)

I grew to respect and love the character. I saw potential for her to get as much exposure as Batman and Superman but she played second fiddle to those 2 for decades…but each decade she got better and more relevant. Shes more than a female Superman. And she really is a woman who love runs deep. She values peace above all else…yet shes willing to cross the line Batman and Superman wont cross

I had friends who didnt see potential in the character. They had more faith in a talking raccoon and tree than a 80 year old icon. Thankfully the 2017 film changed their minds. Wonder Woman is my favorite female superhero and I hope she gets bigger and better for another 80 years and beyond.

4 Likes

In all honesty, I wasn’t the biggest Wonder Woman fan prior to the film’s release. However, once I saw and loved the movie I read the Legends of Wonder Woman limited series to find out more about the character. Since then, my fandom for her grows a little more each day.

2 Likes

I love her! She was my idol as a little kid. I’m not the biggest fan of the movie (to me the fight choreography wasn’t the best), but I’m still happy that a new generation of kids can have her as a role model.

It does bother me that the writers sometime change small details about the mythology it’s based on (like how Ares is the patron god of the Amazons, but in the movie he’s the villain) but that’s more of a personal nitpick than anything.

4 Likes