What is your opinion about the upcoming new TV show airing on the CW. "Batwoman".

What is your opinion about the new live action TV series staring ruby rose as batwoman. Will it be good filled with action and adventure or will it burn in a dumpster fire. Tell me your opinions…

1 Like

I wish it well. My biggest exposure to Batwoman was the JH Williams run, which was outstanding for as long as he drew it. He ultimately left after editorial interference (they wouldn’t let Kate marry her partner) and that’s when I checked out.

Absolutely fantastic series however. Bought it for the art, fell in love with the character. So I absolutely want it to succeed, but I’m not sure how CW is going to provide a freer creative environment, or how it matches the tone of the other series (admittedly am not as familiar with, hope they come here).

From the tone of the comic series, perhaps a series on this streaming service would have been more appropriate for a Bat-character that uses guns and whom Batman disowns (this may vary in other iterations I haven’t read). A character that it would be fully appropriate to have say, “f*** Batman” and who fights ghosts (!) might feel at home here. Or the CW character will be a complete reinvention that catches on and is wildly popular. Who knows…

2 Likes

It think it will be okay. Not great, not horrible. I really disliked the trailer, but I don’t think it’s entirely reflective of how the show is going to be. I’ll give it a shot.

1 Like

I’m worried about it but I hope it does well. I don’t like that they made her Bruce’s cousin.

1 Like

I think it looks interesting, and the Arrowverse so far has a good track record of success, so I am optimistic.

1 Like

lbsaint14- she IS Bruce’s cousin🍀

2 Likes

@lbsaint14 They didn’t make it that way, that’s how she is in the comics, right?

2 Likes

Kate Kane is indeed Bruce Wayne’s cousin in the comics.

I think the show looks fun. I’ll start out with it and see where it goes.

2 Likes

I honestly cannot wait for it. I really hope they do Kate justice. So far it’s looking very good. Ruby looks the part and they’re seemingly starting off strong with an adaptation of that first run of hers, Elegy. This will be awesome, I know it. And then they’ll sprinkle in other Gotham characters as other CW shows always do. If we can get newer and cool characters such as those from Gotham Academy or Mother Panic, this would be so amazing.

2 Likes

@Mae A Gotham Academy inclusion would be the bee’s knees.

Has Batwoman mingled with GA in the books?

2 Likes

@Mae Oh no! I didn’t think of that. Now I’ll be disappointed if we don’t see Gotham Academy!

2 Likes

I don’t believe so, but CW always mixes things up. I’m not sure how it would work exactly, it’s just my own pet idea, but CW is geared toward a younger crowd and maybe the kids would need to be aged up a bit but it would be awesome if they made at least an appearance. If Gotham Academy could be its own show though that would be tremendous. And I’m a huge Mother Panic fan as well so if Violet shows up on Batwoman, well…

1 Like

A Gotham Academy show would be awesome for sure.

3 Likes

Heck yeah! Finally someone agrees with me on there needing to be a Mother Panic show.
And for the people worried about the content, don’t be. We have Gotham and Hannibal that ran on network stations and those were very dark. And Batwoman is mature but not anything that needs to be exclusively TV-MA like I feel JLD does. And I am extremely worried about Batwoman. From everything I have seen it looks like they are going to strip down the character and make it strictly about the feminist perspective of her character without adding any other substance. Ruby Rose is however a great Kate but from everything I have read that I have read I don’t feel that it is going to be steller.

It was also the main reason that Supergirl doesn’t work for me. It feels like it is trying more to be a message rather than focusing on how to be a good show. An example of doing this correctly was with the Patty Jenkins Wonder Woman. They had their message but what was at the forefront was making sure they did story well and had a proper representation of the character.

You can do mature themes and dark tones and still being true to the character without the MA. Animated shows have been doing it for decades. Just take Assault on Arkham. For me at least it really matched up with the Suicide Squad perfectly whilst keeping up the violence and themes of the original very dark comic series. Yet it only had a Pg-13 rating.
And the Batwoman comics (at least what I have read) are not nearly as dark and warranting an MA as Suicide Squad. If we were doing the Cassandra comics then maybe.

Giving it a chance Im excited for it

I can’t say I have high hopes. I don’t really care much about Batwoman in the comics, but that trailer just showed a bit more lazily pandering dialogue than I’d care for. Black Lightning aside, CW shows haven’t been that great for the past several years.
A buddy of mine mentioned that CW has this formula for writing dramas aimed at teen audiences, and in Batwoman’s case, they’re aiming it at teen girls. Looks to me the CW doesn’t think very highly of teenage girls.

1 Like

I think CW will lean heavily into her orientation. Creating a show that they hope will be embraced by the LBGTQ community, much like Xena was, only more openly.

And yes, CW has a formula, pretty much every episodic show does. Look at Joss Whedon’s Buffy series. That was a formula you could virtually set your watch by.

I’m excited for it for sure!

1 Like

I do not have high hopes since the writing on Arrow-Flash and Supergirl ( and at Times Legends) gets worse each year. Batwoman’s sexual orientation will be the PR department’s main thrust; the lack of good writing will make it “just another” cartoony cliche dominated CW superhero show.

1 Like