What Is Your Favorite Story Arch in Comics?

Perhaps you think the zeneth of comics was reached with The Great Darkness Saga (and you would be correct), or Crisis of Infinite Earths, Flashpoint or Watchmen. Maybe the Dark Phoenix storyline, or Secret Wars or the Death of Daredevil were a the high water mark for you. Or could it be an “smaller” publisher’s story line like Irredeemable or Divinity? What do YOU think is the best storyline comics has to offer–we could all use a new favorite to read.

6 Likes

I’ve always had a fondness for the Grand Guignol story in Starman. James Robinson paid off so story threads throughout his entire run, and it ended on a beautiful note.

7 Likes

I have not read that. Will make a note to rectify that oversight.

6 Likes

6 Likes

Steve Englehart’s “Strange Apparitions”:

It’s his run from Detective Comics #469 to #476.

7 Likes

Actual footage of me on my way to this thread after hearing about it:

FirmIncredibleIberiannase-max-1mb

As for which is my favorite:

No Man’s Land

It’s amazing. It is a moving story about survival and hope when an entire city is devastated and abandoned. NML! NML! NML!

6 Likes

Steph’s evolution in comics is by far my favorite!

3 Likes

Here are three of my favorites.

Manhunter by Archie Goodwin and Walt Simonson. Detective Comics #437-443.

Iron Man: Extremis by Warren Ellis and Adi Granov. Iron Man (2005) #1-5

American Flagg! The Definitive Edition by Howard Chaykin. American Flagg #1-14

6 Likes

The Dark Phoenix saga was the first big arc I remember, and it remains one of my all time favorites.

For DC I’d say Blackest Night, though if that counts as an event vice arc, then probably Terminal Velocity. It feels weird to me that none of those are bat specific, lol. I love a lot of arcs over in that corner of the DCU, so perhaps these just stand out more.

6 Likes

I think everyone who loved comics remembers when Dark Phoenix occurred. Blackest Night was a good one as well; have not read Terminal Velocity–but will plan on doing so.

6 Likes

Goodness; loved Manhunter from his time in the Secret Society of Super-Villians. I have to read this story line.

5 Likes

It is an excellent award winning storyline.

Goodwin’s work won him a good deal of recognition in the industry, including both the 1973 Shazam Award for Best Writer (Dramatic Division), and the 1974 Shazam Award for Best Writer (Dramatic Division) for the Manhunter series running in Detective Comics #437–443. In the same years, he also won Shazam Awards for Best Individual Short Story for “The Himalayan Incident” in Detective Comics #437 and for “Cathedral Perilous” in Detective Comics #441. In 1974, he also won Best Individual Feature-Length Story for “Götterdämmerung” in Detective Comics #443. All story awards were shared with Walt Simonson for Manhunter episodes).[34][35]Goodwin’s work on Manhunter, in which he both updated an obscure Golden Age hero, and, in the series’ last episode, took the daring approach of killing him off (one of the few comic book deaths that has actually “taken” and not been reversed or retconned away in the decades since it occurred) is very well regarded by both fans and other comics professionals.

Goodwin stated in his final interview, “I think that Manhunter is one of just several projects that I’ve worked on that I consider a highlight in my career. It is something that I may never be able to top in a lot of ways. To have done that and for DC to have given me the opportunity to do that was great.”[36]

5 Likes

DC One Million.

One of the rare crossovers in which the tie in issues actually fully enhance the main story instead of taking away from it by being confusing or contradictory.

I also love how the heroes win because of the cleverness of a 20th Century high school teacher whom Batman loves to hate.

7 Likes

Just downloaded the start of this arch. Thanks.

6 Likes

I love the first few archs of Red Hood and the Outlaws Rebirth. The developing chemistry between Jason, Bizarro, and Artemis is just chef’s kiss and the ART BY DEXTER SOY! Just… pure perfection :smiling_face:

6 Likes

Concur. Red Hood and the Outlaws was a lot of fun to read. Went in totally without expectation and really enjoyed it.

5 Likes

Welcome back to the community @Emanresu! :partying_face: Please don’t hesitate to let the moderator team know if you need anything!

5 Likes

Hands down, no-brainer, the best story in the history of the medium–“Daredevil: Born Again”.

5 Likes

Hard to argue against your take-it was fantastic

5 Likes

I like to many of them to pick

6 Likes