What is the best DC Comic

I have been wondering lately “what is the best Dc book out there” and I want to hear what you guys thing. Personally, my favorite is “The Sandman”

1 Like

I sort of waffle between Crisis on Infinite Earths and Batman: The Long Halloween. My personal favorite ongoing series is the original volume of Birds of Prey, though George Perez’s Wonder Woman or Denny O’Neil’s Question might be better from a more objective standpoint.

1 Like

This should be a difficult question, but it’s not. It’s Sandman.

2 Likes

Hell Arisen…
The Infected books were pretty RAD tho!

Best

01 1993 Death High Cost of Living The Trade includes Death’s First Appearance in Sandman 8, 1991, Sound of Her Wings Neil Gaiman
Not in library, available at Comixology or try Library or buy Graphic Novel trade

Close

02 1996 Supergirl 75 to 80 Peter David
Linda Danvers Supergirl meets Silver Age Kara el Supergirl

03 2000 Planetary Warren Ellis John Cassidy

04 2013 Earth 2 17 on.Tom Taylor

05 2016 Wonder Woman Year One. Issues 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 Rucka Scott

Best current title
Justice League Odyssey issue 6 on
Not in library yet
Prior issues terrible
Writer admitted he didn’t know how to write group titles.

1 Like

That question is pretty impossible for me, but I really like Earth 2.

1 Like

Watchmen

It got picked as one of the All-TIME Top 100 Novels by TIME magazine and I agree.

5 Likes

If you don’t count titles that ended up under the Vertigo Imprint…

The Dark Knight Returns

Kingdom Come

Green Arrow: Longbow Hunters (and Mike Grell run)

Arkham Asylum (Morrison)

Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow? (Alan Moore)

The New Teen Titans (Perez and Wolfman especially Judas Contract)

The Question (1987)

1 Like

My personal Favorites go like this

1 Sandman
2 Watchmen
3 Swamp Thing by Alan Moore
4 Black Orchid
5 Mister Miracle
6 Batman The Black Mirror
7 All Star Superman
8 Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison
9 Animal Man by Grant Morrison
10 Killing Joke

2 Likes

I sort of depends on how you define “best”. Best from a DC historical standpoint, best run by an artist/writer team, best general run on a character(s), etc.

For me, I’d say COIE. It is the most impactful. There is a clear historical line in DC history that is “pre-crisis” and “post-crisis”. In that context it is “the best” in terms of impact and historical significance.

As a run, The Great Darkness Saga. It gives us the best insight into a character, Darkseid and shows him as the “biggest bad” in the DC Universe.

Best artist/writer run: anything by the team of Adams/O’Neil.

1 Like

Multiversity: Pax Americana. It’s that or Mister Miracle by Tom King. Watchmen is number three (as loath as I am to admit it…), number four is All-Star Superman, and five is DC: The New Frontier. I understand that my top five is coughUNIQUEcough, but I genuinely feel like that’s how the list objectively shakes out.

I mean as “What is the best DC comics reads” It can be runs, solo stories or whatever you think is the best

1 Like

I do also really like “whatever happend to the man of tommorrow” too

1 Like

Joshua Williamson tends to just not know how to write superhero comics in general, not just team books.

1 Like

He’s writing flash, correct?

He’s been writing Flash since the start of Rebirth, yeah.

1 Like

In that case, Camelot 3000. It is superheroism, sci-fi, fantasy, and mythology all rolled up in a fantastic story and beautiful artwork.

1 Like