What Is Something You Wish the Comic Industry Would Change?

We all like comics or we wouldn’t be here, but as of lately there seems to be things that comics have been doing that I don’t like so much. For example, one of mine is that there seems to be no lasting consequences for anything. At the end of every story everything goes back to how it was before, especially if they promise big things will happen. This is a place for you to post what you think comics should change to get better. please be respectful of other people’s opinions. here are some articles to go along with this post I think every one of these is true. 10 Worst Trends In Modern Comics and here’s one on Alan Moore. Watchmen Writer Alan Moore Didn’t Change Comics How He’d Hoped To (screenrant.com)

7 Likes

That is easy- ban events. All problems go away.

5 Likes

Yeah, they’re kinda disappointing.

4 Likes

Stop “writing for the trade” and decompression. Tell a complete story over an issue or two.

Sell comics in more places than just comic shops.

11 Likes

Good CBR article. I don’t always like their opinion pieces, but I agree with some of the points in that one. I’ll add a couple of my own:

• Marketing and promotion can be better. It always feels like only “the comic book crowd” knows about “comic book stuff”. Get the books in front of more eyes. Promote your digital subscription service on something other than comic books. DCUI Ultra is a great value. Who knows about it other than those that already read comics? How about a publication that lets both existing and potential readers know what’s currently up? DC Connect is a good start, but again, who knows about it other than us? Why not put it in big retail stores, make it a newsletter that gets digitally pushed out to potential subscribers?

• Accessibility can be better for new readers. Asking google and internet forums where a current arc starts is fine & dandy. Having that information on your website is even better. It’s a minimal amount of metadata to add to what’s already there. Also, comics used to better at providing editorial notes on the page if a specific previous issue is mentioned. Instead of reboots and relaunches to make things accessible, how about you help the reader navigate? Not only does it show more confidence in your product, it shows you care about the reader’s experience.

10 Likes

Yeah. I’ll find myself getting bored in the middle of a long arc such as Dark Crisis.

6 Likes

I heavily agree with your points. I was hard for me to get into comics because I didn’t have a local comic shop. I happened upon a website that buys and sells comics and that is how it started for me. I have also wondered what happened to the editors notes in the corner. Those have always been helpful for me. Especially when trying to expand my collection.

4 Likes

Comic storylines in the 40s vs now

3 Likes

They should be cheaper to buy and creators should be paid more. No I don’t understand how economics works, and I don’t want you to explain it to me

15 Likes

:joy:

7 Likes

:joy::joy: I actually love this a lot.

7 Likes

I agree. Something can be done, maybe go back to newsprint paper as an option, maybe have black and white as an option. I have thought about this because I am working on writing comics myself (Will they be released? That depends on whether or not I get around to writing them or not. I’m still in the idea stage). But I’ve been brainstorming ideas to make them as accessible as possible.

5 Likes

comics in more stores and lower prices

7 Likes

Comics should be way cheaper, they should be like $2 maximum,

And we need more non superhero books.

6 Likes

We definitely need more non-superhero books

6 Likes

Does this mean there won’t be a special economics edition of Trivia Tuesday? That’s probably a good thing, actually. Although I do think an edition all about how much different characters get paid or are worth would be fun. A “Justice League Salary” edition. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I despise backups.

4 Likes

Fix the trade system

4 Likes

Economies of Scale would make both possible but in order to make that happen you would need have the comics distrubited in more places.

5 Likes

There is a reason why the youth have been gravitating towards Manga then mainstream comics

3 Likes