What is at the Core of Heroism?

There’s no shortage of heroism in DC! With so many amazing heroes putting their lives on the line in these tales, it begs the question of why. What drives a person to become a hero? Or, to put it more accurately, what trait is at the very core of heroism?

Is it will power? Compassion? Empathy? A desire to see a better future?

Let us know what you think!

3 Likes

Protect those that cannot protect themselves

5 Likes

Selflessness - putting the needs of others before your own needs/wants.

7 Likes

Courage

4 Likes

The “Core” to being a hero is really good abs. :rofl: I’ll see myself out.

7 Likes

Except for bouncing boy and Bullock lol @TravisMorgan

4 Likes

I think it’s a mix of those and more. It many things like will power courage selflessness strength etc. the combination of all those and more make the hero.

1 Like

The story Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot, written by Alan Burnett, who was producer for most of the DCAU animated shows.

Deadman meets a young blonde woman, who was no longer in continuity, because she died in Crisis on Infinite Earth 7 and was erased from History.

Deadman is bemoaning his fate.

The woman states, “Listen to me. We don’t do it for the glory. We don’t do it for the recognition. We do it because it needs to be done. Because if we don’t do it, No one else will. And we do it even if no one knows what we’ve done. Even if no one knows we exists. Even if no one ever remembers we ever existed.”

That is the best definition of a hero I ever read.

Then she says, “My name is Kara. Though I doubt that’ll mean anything to you”

5 Likes

Really I think it can be defined as a willingness to sacrifice. When you boil down every successful superhero you find at their cores a history of sacrificing for either a greater good or for another person. This is best seen in the movies and is illustrated well in the first Thor movie. By the finale, what makes Thor worthy of the hammer and the powers of Thor is his willingness to sacrifice himself to the Destroyer so that he can buy enough time for a small town (and Jane) to escape. And this pointed “worthyness” can be seen in all the great comic movies. Captain America sacrifices himself to crash the plane in the Arctic, Iron Man sacrifices himself in the first Avengers by flying the nuke into the Chitauri fleet, Batman in the Dark Knight sacrifices his status as a hero and becomes an outlaw to protect the legacy of Harvey Dent, Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor both sacrifice to take down Ares, Black Widow sacrificed herself to get the soul stone, Billy Batson sacrifices himself by confronting Sivana so his adopted family can escape even though Sivana would most likely kill him Etc Etc. Whereas if you look at the films that were received poorly, you see a lack of sacrifice. None of the Justice Leaguers sacrificed to beat Steppenwolf, Superman just showed up and made Steppy scared so the Parademons attacked him, Captain Marvel never sacrificed herself, she was just captured against her will and then beat the Supreme Intelligence mentally, and then beat the Kree physically, neither Harley nor Deadshot sacrifice anything in Suicide Squad even though Deadshot disobeys Waller and refuses to kill Harley his actions have no consequences. However, in these films we see an excess of the heroes suffering. All of the Heroes suffer and suffer and continue on anyway, but it isn’t just suffering that makes a hero appealing. For whatever reason, a hero must be willing to sacrifice everything for audiences to see them as heroic, even when their movie isn’t that good, like the first Thor movie.

The core of heroism is helping and protecting without putting one’s self first. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think what makes a good hero is sacrificing their regular lives such as school, jobs, friends, girlfriends, boyfriends or whatever and be a hero. Because they are sacrificing their happiness to save other and make the world a better place. It boils down to are you willing to give up a normal and happy life to be a hero and go through all sorts of physical, emotional, and psychological pain

2 Likes

Self-sacrifice. Whether it’s giving up a chance at a normal life, or giving your life, putting the safety of others and doing right before yourself.

2 Likes

Empathy is what came to my mind first reading the thread title. But it’s probably a combination of a lot of things people have said.

1 Like

I think they care, willing to save life no matter what, just like the doctors and nurses are going through right now, fighting a virus to save lives even if they put their lives in danger, that’s a true heroism from them, brave and courageous. To any Doctors and Nurses who are reading this, Thankyou so much for your service and hard work.

1 Like