What if Alfred Was the One Who Shot the Wayne’s?

The Outsider smiles at the thought.

2 Likes

this photo reminded me of this thread.

1 Like

Anybody interested in this idea should check out Batman #686, which deals with a very similar idea, where Alfred is directly responsible for Bruce becoming Batman in a very interesting and sinister way.

3 Likes

I was just thinking that and if Alfred did kill the Waynes he would be the most diabolic villain to grace the pages of funny books. Think about the long game and the mental gymnastics he would have to put himself through. He raises Bruce and keeps Bruce’s secrets meanwhile, he is the big bad. He is Joker according to Neil Gaiman which would mean that Clown Prince of Crime is arguably the King of Kings of Crime. Not only that, but that would make Alfred smarter than someone like Lex Luthor who brags about how smart he is. If he isn’t smarter, he is at least more patient.

2 Likes

Just letting everyone know, I have never read a comic out of order before reading @brennanoreagan.8269’s suggestion, but my god, I’m gonna have to go back and start this series!

1 Like

Taking this as an elseworlds story, it does have interesting possibilities. You have to figure that Bruce witnessed it, but what if it was so traumatic for him that he blocked out that it was Alfred. In his head it was some random person. You also have to figure Alfred was smart enough not to be there when the cops arrived, but figured out that Bruce couldn’t remember who killed his parents, thus came back to act as his legal guardian to keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn’t rat him out.

Imagine that for a moment: everything still plays out like it did before with Bruce training himself to become this symbol against injustice and crime, and the only person on his side helping him is the man who killed his parents.

There’s gotta be a story in that somewhere.

1 Like

This happens in The new 52 earth-3…although Bruce has an older brother in this universe that also kills Bruce.

2 Likes

You don’t really have to have read anything before it. Batman 686 and Detective Comics 853 make a two parter that doesn’t really follow canon and mashes up stuff from throughout Batman’s history. It’s technically part of the Final Crisis/Batman RIP storyline but you don’t need to know that stuff to understand it (those storylines never made much sense to me anyway). It’s more of a standalone exploration of Batman’s history in the style of “Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow?”

2 Likes

You phrased that weird

1 Like

Did I?