What got you into Dc?

What got you guys into Dc?

For me it was all the shows I watched as a kid. I used to love watching Justice League Unlimited and Teen Titans. Teen Titans introduced me to Deathstroke and JLU introduced me to Green Arrow. Before these shows they were characters that never got screen time (other than GA in Super Friends, which is way past my time). These 2 characters are now my favorite Superhero and Super villain.

I started to watch Smallville and there I learned to really appreciate Green Arrow. Just like in JLU, he may not have been nearly as powerful of a character as Super Heroes like Superman or Martian Manhunter but found found his one ways to contribute to the team that couldnā€™t be replaced

When I started to read Deathstroke Comics I was hooked. Skipped like 6 years of Dc related topics but I think this is long enough already

5 Likes

Justice League Unlimited and Batman Beyond

Batmanā€™89 introduced my 4yo self to Batman in theaters then comics in 1992, the day after seeing Batman Returns

I feel old lol

I actually made a thread about this weekā€™s ago. Itā€™s okay though but it just got burried over time

Like 2 or 3 weeks ago. Had many replies too. Just scroll down

I watched Christopher Reeveā€™s Superman series and Batman 89 as a kid on HBO. But I never read a comic book until BvS. I bought my BvS ticket online and it came with free digital issues. After the movie, I felt confused about the movie and thought maybe if I read the comics I would understand the movie more. I read the comics, loved them, and have collected and read comics ever since.

2 Likes
  1. I didnā€™t understand Doomsday. I remember hearing about the ā€œdeath of supermanā€ comic when I was growing up, but I didnā€™t know it was at the hand of Doomsday. So during the movie, I viewed Doomsday as just some crazy monster Luthor cooked up, but I felt there was more to itā€¦ so I finally read the Death of Superman series and it was much more comprehensive.
1 Like
  1. I didnā€™t understand what was up with Supes. I knew Supes as the happy Christopher Reeves and Dean Cain version of Supes. So seeing him threatening Batman and being sad about being a Superman felt weird.
1 Like

But ultimately, I cared enough about Superman and Batman that I wanted to learn more by reading the comicsā€¦ And in doing so, I found a ton of other DC characters that I love.

3 Likes

I started reading Preacher. That was my first comic, then started reading everything Garth Ennis did, which made me love superhero stories. eventually got into continuity and got hooked with Crisis on infinite earths. Marvel continuity doesnā€™t clock with me.

The Toy Biz Batman action figure. I saw it on the peg at Target when I was a little kid and it hooked me. I donā€™t think I knew who Batman was before that but there was something about that figure that made me get it.

After that, I was further pulled into the wonderful world of DC by Batman (Burton), reruns of the Adam West Batman series on the Family Channel, the Batman cereal and the mail-in edition of the Untold Legend of Batman mini-series from said cereal. Around that time was when I saw Superman: The Movie for the first time.

1 Like

I wacthed shows when I was younger and there were from DC

Uncovering all the character bios and lore drops in Batman: Arkham Asylum. I became so engrossed in the Batman mythos with that game, that I started looking up stuff from the comics, and eventually startee spreading to the rest of the DCU.

1 Like

Re-runs of ā€˜66 Batman tv show and Superfriends on Saturday mornings. Then for the comics themselves Batman and Justice League.

1 Like

Smallvile. It was the first tv show I ever watched. Itā€™s a big part of my childhood.

1 Like

The Batman (2004) Animated show

Batmanā€™89. My parents took me to the movie theater to see it when I was just 4yo. I was amazed and then Batman Returns got into comics the day after seeing It

What can I say, when I was a little kid I had it great. I always gravitated to comic books at the convenience store spinner rack especially Justice League but anything with a colorful cool looking cover and I became a bit obsessed with reading about every character I could. Also after school the Batman 66 reruns, Saturday morning Superfriends, Batman/Tarzan adventure hour, Shazam/Isis Hour, Plastic Man cartoons. And Wonder Woman (Lynda Carter) on TV and Superman the movie. DC is engrained in my DNA and been apart of my life in every decade of it.

2 Likes

The original DC animated universe. You all know which one

1 Like