What Got You Into DC?

Think of yourself as 14 years younger than Superman.

9 Likes

Iā€™m not 100% what the first dc thing i saw was but I remember watching BTAS and Batman & Mr. Freeze Subzero and Playing Lego Batman the video game when I was quite young so Iā€™d say those things got me into the universe.

10 Likes

Lego. Everything I like I got into because of Lego or because of something I got into because of Lego.

12 Likes

Not long after I started watching the cartoon, I went to a flea market with my parents, and there was a booth that had a comic carousel, and it had this issue on it.

The one I got was not the Whitman variant, it was DC, and I saw the bottom corner advertising the origin of Zan & Jayna, so I had to have it.

12 Likes

My gateway drugs were a combination of the comic books and Superfriends cartoons. I believe Iā€™ve written about this in the past, but my mother belonged to a collection of other parents (we were a tight-knit Jesuit community in a small town) who shared comic books, including some foreign ones (such as the Italian, French, Spanish and some other Disney duck books) that were largely appropriate for kids. DCā€™s 1950s and 1960s books met that standard (I never read a Marble book until the past decade), so I was reading Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsonā€™s adventures with Clark and Superman, as well as the rare Batman and Robin (usually a Worldā€™s Finest) and the classic early (pre-Batgod) Brave and the Bold, Showcase (floppies, not the B&W collections), and the early SA Justice League and Flash books and a handful of the SF titles like Mystery in Space.

Animation has been a life-long love but comic books are something I got away from by the time I was a teen, although I did glance at Vertigo, Maus and the like while at school, and promptly walked away from that (save for friends who gave me a few ā€˜adultā€™ indie books, some of which I still have) as mostly gag gifts or white elephant type gifts. In one case, I know someone re-gifted me a white elephant they had received which was an adult indie TPB.

lead

Animated DC brought me more firmly back into the DC universe before I got back into reading comic books, but not during the literal heyday, so post The WB Kids and the like, when it appeared on syndication, cable (particularly Cartoon Network) and Netflix.
Superman is dubious

However, Iā€™ve been into live action superhero adaptations even during my teen and college years, and post early adulthood, watching Lois & Clark - The New Adventures as a kid, and watching the premiere of Smallville on the WB. We never saw the '66 Ward show in syndication but I had seen bits of the movie as well as the entire movie many times on syndication and cable by the time I saw the first season of Smallville.
smallville-lex

This remained pretty standard to catching even fake adaptations like Mutant X and non-DC product, but I have to admit to always having an affection to Superman even apart from the comic books, and as Iā€™ve noted many times elsewhere on this forum, in particular to the silver age stories of the vast Superman Family collection, and other SA DC titles (particularly the SA Flash).

I got back into reading books circa New 52, largely from having a lot of free time and access to a public library system with a large collection of post 2000 (the four collected volumes of 52, for example, and all the New Krypton collections) and even more so, everything starting with the New 52, which is admirable since my local library system was, at one point, buying all the TPBs and often the HCs that DC was printing out. Now, they are still buying everything but its digital editions or its Hoopla, with some smaller exceptions, most recently.

The really nice thing is that the archive at the main library has things like the absolute editions and other limited collector-type book material, and let me tell yā€™all, cracking open Absolute All Star Superman is a definite treat (I was literally the second patron to read the book, as you cannot borrow it outside the building, but must read it or view it on site).

11 Likes

I was 13 and in the 7th grade. My Texas History teacher had a strict rule about staying upright when the lights had to be turned off when a movie/video assignment was on, and it was exam week. At the time, I was not into superheroes at all, especially after falling asleep to one of the Avengers movies in my science class the year before (no shade to Marvel, just not interested by it naturally). When my teacher said that he was bringing Batman 1989 for us to watch when the test was over, I thought I was gonna be stuck in (at the time) ā€œsuperhero hellā€. But, to my surprise, I watched the first half of the movie and fell madly in love with Batman (and yes, I do mean Batman). That summer I started watching all of the movies that were currently out at that time (and I blame Chris Oā€™Donnell as Robin for awakening my Robin attraction :rofl:). I started learning more and like all DC fans do, I saw that there were other characters related to Batman that were slightly more interesting, and next thing I knew I became obsessed with the Robins (not knowing about Jason Todd until much, much later).

Eventually, my mom decided to get me some comics for Christmas. When I was 14 I got the comic version of Mad Love, which included several other issues from the BTAS tie-in comics, and a collection of Harley Quinnā€™s best stories. During this time I also got a few character and history encyclopedias of Batman and DC, got into Comicstorian on YouTube and before I knew it, I stumbled upon Jason Todd and he was the fictional character for me (though I ā€œdatedā€ a few other Robins before him).

I havenā€™t been able to read as much as I did back when I was in high school, and I definitely want to go back and revisit my old loves like Gotham City Sirens and Red Hood (everything) when I have the time. DC is the first real fandom and community that I have been a part of. I love going to comic cons and meeting other DC fans who get it, though I need to stop meeting my boyfriends at cons dressed as Arkham Knight Red Hood, it never works out IRL like it does in my fictional headcanon :sweat_smile:

14 Likes

I spend way too many hours watching stuff on that channel! :laughing:

7 Likes

I spend zero hours, so I do not have that problem.

8 Likes

well we all know about you bruce and me the best boy wonder :grin:

6 Likes

After watching this movie at the multiplex on the night of June 23rd, 1989 my life had changed and I would go on to become part of one of the most fantastic fandoms in the history of entertainment.
:smiley:
:00_batman_1989: :00_batman_1989: :00_batman_1989:

9 Likes

This was the first DC movie that I ever saw as well. I love it.

8 Likes

Mine was Subzero.

7 Likes

Same. :smiley:

8 Likes

Mine was '66

7 Likes

My first interaction with DC was teen titans go but I didnā€™t really know any of the true characters since it was ttg. but how I really got into DC was when I found the og teen titans show and the cw flash and it took off from there after watching the dark knight trilogy and batman under the red hood as well as occasional airing of the '66 show on cable. I became infatuated with DC and continue finding new things about it all the time.

11 Likes

I think the fist thing that introduced me to it was Teen Titans. Then I watched The Batman series along with Justice League and Justice League unlimited.and then I think it was Young Justice. I loved it so much Iā€™m pretty sure I binged watched almost all of dead 2 when it came out on Netflix in one night. I gotta thank Robin for introducing me to Batman and then Batman opened up a whole new world for me. Thatā€™s why Dick Grayson Robin will always have a special place in my heart. I have been a superhero Fanatic basically my whole life.

11 Likes

I watched Superfriends and Wonder Woman as a kid, but never read any comics until High School/College when Dark Knight Returns and Death of Superman came out. I then went dark for many years until I happened to see the first Wonder Woman movie in 2020 and I jumped into her comics and Iā€™ve been here ever since!

So Iā€™ve either been a Wonder Woman fanatic since 1976 or 2020, depending how you look at it!

9 Likes

The very first things that got me into DC as a kid were the Batman TV series, and then later the animated series. I also had a tape of the old Fleischer Superman cartoons that I loved to watch. What got me back into DC as an adult was Geoff Johnsā€™ Green Lantern run. I remember seeing Blackest Night all over the place when it was happening, and it caught my attention so I jumped on board and went back and read everything I could from that run.

11 Likes