What Got You Into DC?

How did you first get into DC? What were you first introduced to, comics, movies, shows, etc. Which character were you first introduced to? Did anyone in particular introduce you to DC? What reeled you in? When and how did it happen? Here post how you first got into DC.

15 Likes

My gateway was this man…

I remember being too young to read calling to my mom “come quick and read the fight words!”

That led to…

Which led me to this…

15 Likes

There is a home video somewhere of my younger sister learning to walk and me in the background, sitting on the couch, watching re-runs of Batman '66. I don’t remember anything from that show, but I grew up having Batman as my favorite superhero.

Years later, I started watching Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Static Shock, Teen Titans and JLU. I think those had a much bigger impact on me, but I probably wouldn’t had started watching them without haven’t seen '66 first.

First comics I ever read were Batman and The Flash of New 52. I’ve been hooked on comics ever since.

14 Likes

I remember my father bringing home a 3 pack of comics when I was young. One was Batman, one Superman, and one Conan. Conan didn’t impress me, but I loved the other two and wanted more.

13 Likes

Batman: The Animated Series just happened to be on TV when I was a child and I sat there watching it mesmerized. I branched out into more than just Batman about 3 years after that.

17 Likes

As a kid, the majority of the cartoons I watched were DC. The first Teen Titans show, both Justice League shows, Static Shock, reruns of Batman & Superman OG animated shows and I caught episodes of various other Batman animated shows like Batman Beyond. However, movie-wise, not a lot of of DC content. There was the Dark Knigjt trilogy, but the Raimi Spider-Man movies were my pick to watch.

In regards to comics, my first actual exposure was coming across old Archie issues at my family’s old cabin. It wouldn’t be until college (less than 10 years ago now) did I make an effort in checking some stuff out. This was the time I read stories such as Blackest Night, ongoings like the New 52 Supergirl & characters such as Swamp Thing - becoming my favorite hero/comic character ever.

And things just evolved from there. Read through a lot of stories and titles, got a subscription to this site where I was introduced to the Doom Patrol and feel in love with them. My final year of college, I did a 20 page essay examining the political themes of the original Hellblazer comic.

So, no one in particular got me into DC is the short answer. Rather, I was infleunced by superhero shows that gained popularity in the 2000s and my own curiosity later on.

16 Likes

Well, when I was super young, like barely in elementary school, my dad used to record the Batman '66 show for whenever I woke up, so I wouldn’t wake him or my mom (I used to wake up REALLY early). I used to watch about six episodes each day and loved it. Over time, my love for Batman evolved into a love for superheroes as a whole and I decided to get comics. My parents bought me DC Universe (pre-DCUI) for my birthday, and that’s when my love for DC really flourished.

15 Likes

The Super Friends.

13 Likes
13 Likes

It all basically started with this…

14 Likes

I honestly don’t remember, cause I was so little at the time, the 1980 Shazam was probably my first exposure to Superheroes, and I grew up watching Superman movie, 1966 Batman, Wonder Woman tv show and the Super Friends. At the time I probably didn’t know the difference between DC & Marvel, since I was a fan of Spider-man & The Incredible Hulk (both TV & cartoon series). I’ve always been a fan ever since. That’s what got me to DC.:grinning:

13 Likes

The Super Powers toy line:

My dad and I went on a road trip and I got these:

I had the classic mail-away Darkseid record:
darkseidrecord

And I also had the whole line of book and story tapes from Fisher-Price:
fisherprice

And of course, then there were “The Seven” (the seven comics that began it all):

13 Likes

I was 8 years old in 1966.

In some ways, I’m still 8 years old.

13 Likes

Surprised that so many other people also got started with 1960s Batman.

When I was a kid, I was very young. My parents would take me to these bookstores and old general stores and spend hours looking around. It was really boring. One day they said that if I was good, they would get me a comic that the bookstore had (looking back, they must have had a sale). It wasn’t a DC comic but it got me hooked on comics in general. Back then I read just about any book I could get my hands on. Comics, especially “smart” ones like Batman, became a favorite. Between that and Adam West here I am.

11 Likes

I remember when I was little, at the time my family didn’t have cable, my hometown didn’t have the channel that Batman was on to my knowledge, I remember going to my Grandparents house (lived 2 hours away) they had this fuzzy static screen channel, and I would see the 1966 Batman tv show, I can still remember seeing Batman & Robin in Gordon’s office, as for the villain, it might have been one of King Tut episodes.
I just love the show ever since and look forward to seeing Batman anytime I visit my grandparents, the show to me was very special.
Not long after that, my other Grandma had HBO channel, one day she tape Batman The Movie for me, and I just love the movie, I would watch it almost everyday.
By 1988, Batman started showing in my hometown due to a new movie coming out, I remember there was a contest going on during the episode, whoever see a Batsymbol flash during the episode first person to call the number win something, I remember trying to call a few times, but I was unlucky.
I’m sure you can guess who was my favorite villian, I thought Burgess Meredith’s Penguin was a great villain, that I love to imitate his Waugh Waugh sound. Joker was my second favorite.
I remember going to see the 1989 Batman film thinking it’ll be just like the TV series, and boy was I wrong! :laughing:
I’ll always love 1966 Batman TV show, I’ll always watch it whenever I get a chance.:slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

Captain Marvel got me interested in comics; Batman: The Animated Series got me interested in animation; Justice League Unlimited and 52 got me interested in the DC universe.

14 Likes

The Supersons and Nightiwing (2019-) comics

14 Likes

for me DITF and red hood and robin & batman and the batman and robin eternal series

13 Likes

For me it was Batman '66, reruns of which were ubiquitous in the early Seventies! Of course, by the time I was old enough to read I discovered a different sort of Batman in comic books. Denny O’Neil and Neal Addams got me hooked.

9 Likes

I’m old, 71, so obviously it was comics for me. I’d seen a few comics in the barbershop before. Including a couple Superman books. One where he was split into two; one red and one blue. Another one where Jimmy Olsen got a magic lamp and wished him up a Super girlfriend. But what really got me into DC was when an older kid in the neighborhood gave me his copy of Justice League #12. Ironically enough, it was titled The Last Case Of The Justice League.

Suddenly there was this whole universe of colorfully costumed characters. And that hooked me for life.

12 Likes