What don’t you Like about Superman?

What’s your top 5? Also, standing on a Red Son would burn your sneakers so I don’t blame you! :laughing:

2 Likes

Fantastic question! In no real order:

Superman: Secret Origin
John Byrne’s Man of Steel mini
Superman: Secret Identity
The Russian Zod storyline
The New Krypton saga

5 Likes

That he’s a little too handsome
:eyes:

1 Like

Maybe you’re just reading the wrong era of Superman.

Action 310 thought-beast

(See this week’s Superman Fan Club reading for context.)

4 Likes

I can’t really say there is anything I don’t like about Superman as a character. I don’t like the way some writers have handled him though.

2 Likes

There’s not a lot that I don’t love about Superman, especially when he’s handled well. But I have to say that having roughly ten thousand supporting characters with the initials L.L. gets really cumbersome. (It was always funny in the silver age when he’d meet an L.L. and the thought bubble would be like, “Their initials are L.L.! Just like so many others I know! What a remarkable coincidence!” And I’m over here like, “Nah, dude, your writers are just working with a typewriter that sticks.”)

3 Likes

The only thing I don’t like about Superman isn’t even about Superman. when another Kryptonian shows up, they are suddenly as powerful as Superman. I was going to start a thread, but clearly never did.

my head canon has it this way: the main source of Superman’s power is that since arriving as an infant, he has been soaking in the rays of the yellow sun. at the end of each successive day, his physiology, his cellular structure, is absorbing this energy. day after day, this continual buildup is happening. regardless of when abilities begin to manifest (puberty being the most traditional), he is still on Earth, soaking in those rays of sunshiny power (and goodness).

let’s say he dons the suit somewhere in the neighborhood of his 25th year on the planet. 365 days times 25 years, plus however many leap year days and within minutes the new arrival is almost equal to Superman in strength etc. It’s poor comic book logic in my very own however humble opinion.

I know there are exceptions to this, but it is usually somehow equal so they can have that super slugfest that everyone expects when it comes to Superman.

2 Likes

Traditionally, he was super-strong as soon as he arrived. It wasn’t until John Byrne rebooted him in the mid-1980s that his powers became associated with puberty. (Is it any coincidence that Byrne spent some time working on Uncanny X-Men?)

3 Likes

the puberty thing: well, if it works, why not use it, right?

Like I said, it is more my idea of Superman than anything I read.

2 Likes

I don’t like that he’s an alien but looks like normal human being. I know he was created in a time where aliens looked quite human but he only has human features.

3 Likes

@Angel.Azrael I understand your point but I would have to say that’s what I love and also find scary. He is mostly indestructible and looks so human no one would ever think twice that an alien race looks just like humans. I dare say what if there is an alien race that looks like us already no one would give them a second look unless they did some vary weird things to catch people’s attention. I think it’s pretty ingenious to have Superman looks like us but is not us; he could have went evil just like the movie Brightburn. No on expects a thing until it’s too late.

4 Likes

Lois was a redhead off and on throughout the 90s and early 2000s.
Superman issue 50 there was red on her head.

I think the thing that I dislike but also love about Superman is his devotion to his family and loved ones. On paper that is great but in practice there are consequences. How many times could the world have been saved swiftly if he wasn’t off to save Lois or flying to Kansas or helping out another hero?

This has more to do with the writers but I want to see more Superman throwing his plastic wrap shield at villains. I feel this has not been used properly since Superman 2.

1 Like

I agree, it also makes Clark feel more human in a way, or also represent how he is literally a super man…

1 Like