What don’t you Like about Superman?

What is something you don’t like about Superman the man of Steel ? Only one rule be respectful . The one thing I don’t like about Superman is the way he can be perceived to be over powered. So tell me what you don’t like about Superman?

Respect the S @Kon-El @SuperBlueGrodd @Vroom

7 Likes

attitude-is-everything-20-638

11 Likes

Hmm ok, interesting question. I guess, how obvious his secret identity is… though I guess I do like that because it’s a classic aspect of the character. This is tough…

5 Likes

The one thing I don’t like about Superman is that he doesn’t have as well developed a rogues gallery as Batman or The Flash. He needs more varied, iconic villains!

8 Likes

I like this one! The way I’ve always seen it, your average person in Metropolis or in the rest of the world in the DCU doesn’t think Superman has a secret identity. They think he’s Superman 24/7. And those who don’t think he’s Superman 24/7 think that if he does have another life, it would be someone of importance and power. Lex Luthor had a similar reaction in an early issue of Superman in the 80’s when he had his staff try to figure this out with a computer. When it came back as Clark Kent, Lex didn’t believe it, thinking Superman would post as someone of power and blamed both the computer and his staff for incompetence.

As for Clark and Superman looking so similar. yes, we’ve had stories where they explain Clark either wears baggier clothes to hide his physique or changes his posture, but in a modern day context, you could just explain it just like every popular celebrity out there: there’s gonna be people who look like them and there’s gonna be people who go out of their way to look like them. I’m not a big fan of the Kardashian family, but how many people have knowingly or unknowingly adopted their look once their popularity rose? Or, if you want to go with the comic book reason, thanks to shape shifters and clones, Clark Kent and Superman have been photographed together so at most people wouldn’t suspect their the same person if they’ve appeared together.

6 Likes

Ooo! Another good one!

I think Superman has an amazing rogue’s gallery. The problem is, lots of creators don’t know how to utilize them. I think they psyche themselves out assuming Superman is invulnerable and try to figure out how to tackle that rather than just telling the story.

He’s got great villains like Lex Luthor, Brainiac, General Zod and Darkseid, sure but what about Metallo, Bizarro, Mr. Mxyztplk; what about Mongul and Cyborg Superman? You have The Prankster and Toy Man. You’ve got Terra Man and Titano. There’s Parasite, Manchester Black, Silver Banshee, Atomic Skull, Intergang, Doomsday, the Ultra-Humanite, Rampage, the Kryptonite Man, Shrapnel and so many more. These villains run from low-level thugs to universe-conquering dictators. His rogues gallery is there, it’s just writers don’t know how to use them. The Post-Crisis team knew how to use them but their time on the books has sadly come and gone.

7 Likes

I don’t like certain depictions of the character. He can sometimes come off as a condescending scold or can evoke that sort of smug paternalism that’s common with certain rural folk who think that they’re wiser than those silly city slickers.

6 Likes

I don’t like how he used his parents as babysitters for Superboy and Supergirl.

Nah, I’m kidding. I can’t think of anything legit.

5 Likes

Nothing about the character, but I think there are some writers who misses the mark.

5 Likes

That he chose Lois over Lana.

Look, redheads are the best and Superman is the best, so he should have ended up with Lana.

I’m kidding.

Redheads are the best, and I’m serious about that.

9 Likes

I don’t like it when he gets overly moody. Superman is happy, he’s allowed to be happy. He doesn’t need to be angry like Batman to be a hero. I also don’t like the “fear Superman” mentality.

4 Likes

@Vroom I agree 1000000% redheads are great I married a redhead that happens to be the love
Of my life back to Regular post content!

5 Likes

Nothing. He’s perfect :wink:

6 Likes

Knee jerk answer is: nothing. Superman is the best, bar none.

Upon further reflection, what bothers me just a smidge, is probably one of the things I like most about him: his idealism. A little (just a little) fallibility can go a long way in affirming the humanity we all tout as one of his core traits.

4 Likes

When he isn’t treated
giphy
that he deserves.

6 Likes

When Superman isn’t respected, Randy gets angry.

When he gets angry, he breaks records held by Bono.

4 Likes

With an assist from PFChangs

3 Likes

I gave him a few tries. Read Waid’s Birthright, Millar’s Red Son, Superman For All Seasons, and All Star Superman. He just never really appealed to me for whatever reason. I have not attempted to read a run of the character though.

2 Likes

Birthright grew on me over time.I can’t stand Red Son. For All Seasons is really well done and I have an appreciation for All-Star Superman, even though it’ll never crack my top five Superman stories.

3 Likes

Not having a red trunks, Henry Cavill did a great job playing Superman, but I don’t like the Superman costume cause it looked ugly without the red trunk and a yellow belt. Sorry!

5 Likes