What does Superman mean to you?

Absolutely. I think we are in a time right now where everyone needs a little Superman in their lives.

3 Likes

Copypasting from a character of the month spotlight I wrote about Superman for /r/DCcomics a few years ago:

For the better part of a century, his story has been shared across the globe, to millions ā€” if not billions ā€” of people. Generations have lived and died, nations have risen and fallen, and human communication as we know it has changed fundamentally. But he has endured through it all. Faster than a speeding bullet. More powerful than a locomotive. Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. And so much more. He can fly through the sun, benchpress planets, win fistfights with gods, lead a multidimensional army, and sing the song that saves the universe. But Supermanā€™s greatest power is to move the hearts of you and me.

Itā€™s a very simple concept: What if the most powerful being in the world was also the most good? From his humble origins as a car-lifting champion of the common man in post-Depression America to our modern view of him as a mythological figure on par with the likes of the Greek Gods who took a letter of the alphabet and made it recognizable as his all around the world, this has always been the great driving question behind the Man of Tomorrow. Because he doesnā€™t give up on people. He doesnā€™t let people get hurt, and although he will fight evil, he does not relish in hurting others. Superman did not carve his path in life through inhuman strength and unquestionable Kryptonian power. Superman built his path, brick by brick, with acts of kindness and an indomitable human spirit, and he invites us all to walk along it with him. People who donā€™t understand Superman will tell you that heā€™s lame, that heā€™s too powerful and too good, and that he isnā€™t interesting. But a good Superman story will prove all of that wrong. And the best Superman stories tear through the barrier separating reality and fiction and your suspension of disbelief. Theyā€™ll inspire you to be better, to try and reach the ideal that Superman presents. And maybe you wonā€™t believe a man can fly. But if you open yourself to it, youā€™ll believe that we all can be super.

4 Likes

I came to comics after I got out of college. My only interaction with Superman before that was the movies and cartoons, but I was always more drawn towards Batman. It wasnā€™t till recently that I was recommended several Superman comics and I realized the real brilliance of Superman. For me the character is most powerful when he is placed in moral quandaries. There have been some great writers and artists who have made the most out of that.

With all the power that Superman possesses, his greatest strength comes from Ma and Pa Kent. You have a man who could basically become a god, but the superhero parents were able to give him the strength of character that makes him a hero.

3 Likes

The same on both accounts, @TheDarkKnieves! :blush:

2 Likes

Everyone is making great points. I think the reason we havenā€™t had a great live action Superman film is that Superman is much harder to write than Batman.

2 Likes

Yeah seriously, we need a ā€œdefinitiveā€ big screen modern Superman. I personally adore the way heā€™s portrayed in the Animated Series and have yet to see anyone capture that spirit.

4 Likes

Totally agreed. Itā€™s a very unique outlook that I donā€™t think anyone can represent accurately.

1 Like

I couldnā€™t describe what Superman means to me and I think @Pow-Pow covered the feeling pretty well. Superman has just kinda always been a part of my family. Heā€™s like the perfect older brother that you are both frustrated with at times, but canā€™t help but love for how hard he tries and how good he really is.

@moro also mentioned the music of John Williams from Superman: The Movie. To this day I canā€™t help but smile whenever I hear it. I love it so much! It just embodies Superman and all he stands for and how he makes you feel. Love it.

4 Likes

John Williams is the G.O.A.T!

2 Likes

Superman means being human is more than where you came from. He was an alien but he embraced humanity as that is what he learned growing up. He tried to make the best choices he could but was as human as the rest of us and made mistakes.
I am drawn to the Smallville episode where Lana died after he told her his secret. Clark couldnā€™t accept the loss so he did what many of us would do ask for another chance. He gets it but at the cost of his dadā€™s life this time. He has learned to live with consequences and reacted as humans would but still continues forward.

4 Likes

Does anyone know if the Red Son animated movie is going to be released on DC universe?

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, @ameyer2686.79136! Like with Wonder Woman: Bloodlines, Red Son will be on DCU 90 days after the physical release. Itā€™s set to come out on 4K/blu-ray on March 17th, so its DCU release should be around mid-June. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Heā€™s one of the few examples of a being with absolute power who manages to remain human. Heā€™s a champion to the oppressed and innocent, and at the end of the day, heā€™s just a nice guy.

2 Likes