What Do You Read When Depression Hits You Hardest?

Actually just bought that hardcover. Maybe it’s fate

2 Likes

I love the bronze age GL/GA road trip arc. It’s combative and that helps pull me up and ready to fight against what I’m going through. But I am usually not by DSM standards, classically depressed, I’m more dysphoric. So it might or might not work for you.

1 Like

I echo JLI and Secret Six for humorous stories even though Six is maybe subjective humor. Super Sons was a feel good book to me. Kids having adventures and their interplay is nice.
Sorry you’re going through it. As someone who experiences it but also works in mental health I give you credit for looking for help outside of the box. I use reruns of Archer and Bob’s Burgers. It always makes me laugh and it’s familiar so it’s ok if my mind wanders. The voices are like comfort food.
Also, if you don’t already have someone I encourage you to seek out a professional.

2 Likes

Detective Comics 500 To kill a legend

Supergirl Peter David issues 75 through.80
Linda Danvers Supergirl meets original.1959 Kara Zor el

Wondet Woman 2016 Year One 2 4 6 8 10 12 14

Superman Lois and Clark followed by
Super 2016
Super Sons

1 Like

Did someone say Ambush Bug? People forget about Ambush Bug. I apologize for being repetitive and mentioning Ambush Bug if someone here has already mentioned Ambush Bug.

3 Likes

Ambush Bug! Ambush Bug! Ambush Bug! Ambush Bug!

2 Likes

Try saying that more than 4x fast.

2 Likes

@Behemoth Not working out as planned. I somehow bit my own ear while attempting to.

1 Like

Maybe something from Golden age era rn I’m digging the Green lantern comics. I love classics that might get ya mind of somethings… but buddy if you need a open ear you can message me let off some steam. depression ain’t a place to be alone noone needs to feel alone!

3 Likes

Do you need to see a doctor or is this like one of those Mount Everest grow your ear out of your face scenarios?

3 Likes

I like Golden Age Justice League or the original Teen Titan books when I feel horrible. I love the outdated phrases, like Dick’s “Golly Gee, Batman.” Aqualad says things like “Suffering sardines,” or “Flipper’s Folly.” I get a chuckle out of it. And the fact that even when all is lost, those teams fight even harder to protect each other and the world.

3 Likes

Yes!I think also it’s the corkiness in the material that makes it great and could put a smile on anyones face no matter how they might feel

1 Like

@Takingmymoment: Sorry to hear you’re depressed, but, yes, a good comic book can help. So I recommend all the Silver Age books here on the app. They are fun, entertaining, and sometimes thought-provoking. And when you are reading a book with art by Adams, Kubert, Swan, Andru, Infantino or Kirby and you come across a truly stunning panel freeze it on the screen and pretend you are standing in a “hall of fame” comic book museum. It will put a smile on your face.

4 Likes

If you haven’t gotten into Animal Man, I would suggest giving him a try, I haven’t even heard of him till I signed up with DC U I was pleasantly surprised and found it to be an exciting ride. I feel ya with the depression, I have had it all my life and it really is a roller coaster sometimes nothing helps and all we can do is buckle in an ride it out. check out 7cupsoftea if you haven’t already; it is a decent site and it is completely free.

Other than that just remember you are never alone !

2 Likes

I wish the best to you. I don’t exactly read when depression hits, I usually just watch Batman: TAS. I hope you overcome your depression. The community is behind you.

2 Likes

First off, my hopes and prayers go with you I hope you are able to overcome whatever you are going through. Your community is here for you if you need it.

For something humorous to clear the air:
Ambush Bug: Year None
Ambush Bug: The Son of Ambush Bug

For something a little more light hearted maybe even inspirational:
Green Lantern Secret Origin, Green Lantern No Fear, Green Lantern Brightest Day
Return of Superman or other classic superman titles.

2 Likes

I wanted to stop by this thread and thank everyone for the suggestions they definitely helped. Not to get too personal i hit an extended rough patch right before COVID hit the US and that made things worse. Thank you all for giving me a lift :heart::raised_hands::v::ok_hand:

5 Likes

You are most welcome! Happy to see the update and that things are going well for you @Takingmymoment! :sun_with_face:

2 Likes

Superman #39

1 Like

I agree with Gail Simone mentioned above. BOP & Secret Six are uplifting & hilarious. Plastic Man solo & with The Terrifics & Freedom Fighters. Also, anything with Z always lifts my spirits. Also, JSA & Infinity Inc.