What Do Mangas Do Better Than Comics? What Can Comics Learn From Manga?

Np, and have fun. I use to be big into manga but once I got into comics I’m not sure if I ever want to go back.

I know you said you have a backlog of stuff, but I highly recommend geoff John’s green lantern

1 Like

Not in the picture between revenage of the black hand and “The End” are Rise of the third army, then wrath of the first lantern.

1 Like

I honestly think it is because manga has genres. Where as comics generally focus on hero/villian and action type thing. There are more indie comics that are coming out that are slice of life and romance that do well. I think Marvel and DC are sticking to what they know best without branching out. Where as I see Image comic doing more variety of genres and same with Dark Horse.

2 Likes

Then why does dc have young animal, hanna barbera, and vertigo?

Vertigo is dead.

It lives under different titles, specifically dc black label.

A minor amount of branching doesn’t make a limb. They might try other things but the ones that they prioritize is their usual stuff. If you look at other comic publishers they offer variety. I am not trying to bash DC it just is the way they are. Also, those sub title for things that don’t fit into the DC universe are not as extensive as manga. Manga has more variety, period. I dont know why this disturbs so many people. It doesn’t mean anything. Manga just reaches a larger audience.

1 Like

You might like Invincible from image comics then.
Its very viceral. Lots of violence, but its looks like animation. Extreamly fluid.

1 Like

Manga are largly
charecter focued.
Full of groth, change, maturation (Alongside the readers age)
Mostly have a definative begining, middle and end.
They are not on endless or repetative.
Are not full of convoluted retcons.
They are not so interconnected and interdependent.
You can pick one up, read consecutive vol. Move on to the next.

We are in the endless days of our lives soap opra with more retcons then punching these days.

We are getting the same stories, about the same charecters our grandparents read. Often, convoluted and make little sense because there are too many creator teams and the right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing. (Hawkman, donna troy…)

I just read a recent Superman title, with two differnt superboys (conner and jon) why are repeting the tim drake/damian wayne robin mess. Make anyone of them Flamebird!
Make one superboy Red and the other Superboy blue.
Make one “kid robin” and the other “the robin”.

Nobody was confused by the various Steels because of the vast differences.

and Kara meeting Conner for the FIRST time. Srysly?!?!? Wtf bendis. How in the $%@& could they be meeting for the first time when batman got more robin then baskin got flavors?
I know the timeline is more Wanka then a chocolate factory and doesn’t make sense because of flashpoint, Mxyzptlix, dr. Manhattan, (not to mention all the Crisis events…) but Rebirth Supergirl should not be meeting any version of Conner for the first time in a story being told in the present day…

Also two (3?) people are now Cyborg Superman, Supergirls dad (rebirth) and pre-flash point Hank Henshaw, who is the only other person ever be cyborg superman, because he was the FIRST. When he was pretending to be Superman…wtf is Superman’s uncle calling himself Cyborg superman.

I am not even sure if Supergirl’s dad in Rebirth is the same Supergirl’s dad from new52. DR. MANHATTAN fudged with jor-el’s timeline, and im still not sure what if any effect that had on his brother either version. Or if rebirth and new52 supergirl are the same version or differnt versions…

Dont get me started on Conner Kent…talk about a story going nowhere…

This right here is why nobody is reading superman, editorial keeps retconing him and the family twice weekly.

Ma and pa are dead
Ma alive but pa dead (a second time)
Pa dead now ma is too.
Oh wait, they both died at the same time when clark was in high school.
Hey look Jor-El never died.
Oh wait jk ma and pa they are alive, neither ever died.
Until pa dies of a heart attack for again and im not even sure how many times that has been!
And if Pa never died, then he had to have met Jor-el…now there is a conversation worth having that nobody is ever going to write…

Want to read hawkman? Good luck with that!

Shazam repetative.

Wonder woman. How many origins have been retold.

Then there is the constant mistreatment of legacies
Wally West
Dick Grayson (or is he still ric? Or is it just Grayson)
Helena bertineli and or wayne.
Power girls multiple reboots.

Name a charecter and they have been retconed at least 3 times.

Oh and fir batman to have enough time for all the storires he is in you would need an inanite number of him and 742 hour long days. But he still is only 35 years old…

You want to read Full Metal Alchemist there is one series and two anime only because the first anime ran out of book to adap and had to come up with thier own ending ala game of thrones. Then there is live action. They dont mix and match. They are each there own thing. No retcons.

You want One punch Man, then One is all you get.

Even the reboots are defined by era. Speed racer Astro boy dont interact with alternate timeline, paralel versions of each other.

DC has 80 years of history, but the first 50 where relativly simple, and you didn’t need interdimensional reference library to comprehend the multitude of variations on the same cgarecter till the 80s. The speed of convolution has reached critical mass to the point that comics, are not even enjoyable by thier most ardent disciples.

Its long past time to set the past in stone and not allow any future story to change the past anymore.

3 Likes

I actually would like to see teenage bruce. I loved Smallvile and Superboy tv shows. I enjoyed half of Gotham. I like the Batman Animated series episodes with flashback stories of his traning as a ninja and with the Zatana’s father.

I alway thought it would be fun if bruce and clark both knew Zatara the magician as teenagers and met as teenagers without ever remembering it because they both used fake names.

Gotham high is just twilight clone swarbage parody of an Elseworlds. TEENage bad boy joker? Gag me with a spoon!

1 Like

Honestly i take this answer over “THERE’S A BLACK GAY TRANS PERSON IN MY COMICS” REEEEE

Anime is really popular and viewers actually care to get into the source material/wanna read more stories. There is a lot of variety of stories. The biggest comics publishers cater to superheroes. I started reading Image/Dark Horse more because it wore thin on me too. They are easier to read and normally just has one creator as opposed to “Oh you wanna read Batman? You can start with Person A’s run and then…”

1 Like

Relatable. Before DC Rebirth came around I just picked up Elseworlds comics or indie-type comics since I had no clue where to start with reading DC. Manga is just Manga, you see the title and know where to start with it.

My other hesitation when it came to comics was thinking “Is there any point if they’re just gonna reboot or something”. Superhero genre always seem hand-and-hand with starting over, repeating the status quo (no one stays dead) and never ending for the stories of the characters. Manga is ‘finite’.

2 Likes

Good point. It seems that the hardest part about comics is getting into them.

Something you’ve always got to remember with sales is that it depends on the store and location. I know of a B&N with a full DC shelf and a full Marvel shelf. They also had full sections devoted to their Comics merch to.

2 Likes

So how’s the manga section there? Also, lucky man, while I mostly buy comics at my LCS it sucks to see manga take over.

1 Like

I don’t remember actually. :thinking:

Why is that a bad thing? They already have in terms of sales for a while. Creators still make comic books. I don’t think either will go away because one medium succeeds more?

Well thats the thing, I’m worried that manga will soon take over comics.

I mean comics have been around since the 40s. They were pronounced dead for a while yet here they still are.

Mangas and American comics (haven’t read much european) present stories in different ways. You like superheros and ■■■■? Do you like shared universes and continuity? Do you prefer the artwork to be colored? Read a comic.

Mangas got a good variety of stories: horror, slice of life, romance, etc but are also presented as anthologies and are easier to follow IMO. It also has heavy japanese influence and context, so if you’re into that kind of thing, it provides that too.

Whatever people want to read, they will seek it out in the appropriate medium. I still read comics but not a lot of DC or Marvel these days.

1 Like