What Did You Think of Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn?

Margot Robbie is an absolute genius. Huntress wasn’t what I waited the majority of my life for, but I’ll take it. Cassie got gipped, Canary & Black Mask great. Overall, I’ll be buying it day it’s released & watching it nonstop. The choreography & fight scenes were incredible. A visual feast.

4 Likes

Watched in the theater and thought it was good but not great. Recently purchased it on iTunes and rewatched. Better the second time around. Harley’s action scenes were great. Some fun humor. Overall a B+. Also, I am guilty of making similar breakfast sandwiches 3 days straight after watching it at home :joy:.

4 Likes

I thought it was okay, but it felt derivative: Starting the film with a “how did we end up here?” time jump and 4th wall breaking exposition in an R-Rated profanity-laden costumed antihero film, whilst establishing a ‘team?’ Kinda been done, and done recently.

If they wanted to make a Harley movie, they should have pulled the trigger and made a Harley movie. Not tried to push it as an ensemble cast film, and put Harley out front. That was Suicide Squad.

4 Likes

I watched this again last night with my wife last night, who was seeing it for the first time. She really liked it and I still LOVE it.

5 Likes

Tried watching this “movie” last night. What a mess. Annoyin, thought the charecter portrayals were so far away from the source material it seems silly. Wasn’t expecting much, but after Wonderwoman, Aquaman and Shazam…I was hoping for so much more.

5 Likes

It’s a fun “popcorn flick” for sure but definitely not on my favorite DC movies list. That’s really the best I can say about it.

1 Like

Love DC, but hated this movie.

5 Likes

I only saw it once a couple months ago, but I remember thinking it was a really good episode of a TV show. The stakes were too low and the budget was not high enough to really be a great movie theater experience. It probably would be a good rental. Also they probably shouldn’t have used the Birds of Prey name without having Batgirl in the movie.

4 Likes

I like it, it was fun to watch

2 Likes

I watched it and really loved it

3 Likes

I would really love to see Harley interact with Shazam- I bet it would be comedic gold

2 Likes

I liked the character just did think that it would make more sense if the character name was Stephanie Brown or Harper Row. The actress did a great job, just was too different from original Cassandra Cain. The other characters were different versions but not as radical as Cassandra.

2 Likes

I wanted to like it more and will continue to support DC movies and see where they go with these characters, but wasn’t my favorite. Interesting choices and I’d like to see how they’d develop the characters in subsequent movies, but when you’re a fan of the original such creative choices don’t always sit well.

2 Likes

Shazam is still a 14 year old boy, he’d just soaking in all the hotness that is HQ (and Margot Robbie). Now, HQ, Shazam & Power Girl…that is a team up I want to see.

You could literary cameo in every character in DC history in 15 second chunks walking in and saying “Why is Shazam drooling?” Looking over at HQ & PG and saying “Nevermind” and walking out of camera. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I loved it. It looked and felt diffrent from other comic movies. I know some people didn’t like the wacky flashbacks and forwards and all that, but I really like how it all came together in the end. Black Mask was a GREAT villian and all the BOP felt like they all had a reason for being there.

2 Likes

It was a mess, and I honestly think it was bad casting all around. It wasn’t good as a comic movie, or general cinematic experience. No one was a representation of their source material, the movie was convoluted, and as the box office shows how poorly it was done.

I hope the movie is distanced from the excellent Harley Quinn cartoon, but I will give Suicide Squad 2 another shot.

6 Likes

Yeah, the Harley cartoon is a much better version of the same character arc as BoP.

1 Like

I loved it!

If you have never read the Injustice comics I suggest you check them out because there is some great Shazam/Billy and Harley interactions.

I liked the movie for what it was, a fun and violent flick with lots of zany cinematography. I greatly enjoyed the presentation of the movie, found it delightfully meta and had the feel of a niche indie movie even if it wasn’t one. Did I like the amount of “in name only” they did for some characters? No. Did I like that we had a Birds of Prey with no Oracle in sight? No. Did that detract from my enjoyment of the movie? Nope, enjoyed the heck out of it.
I will say that one thing I think they did very well was give plenty of nods to fans of the various Batman and BoP comics while at the same time making it enjoyable to someone with no knowledge of comics really. I took my mom to see it with me, and while she had seen some of the other DC movies she hadn’t see Suicide Squad and most of her knowledge of Harley is that my sister cosplays her. So with no knowledge or expectations she found it plenty of fun.

2 Likes