What did you last add to your collection?

Hey everyone! I’m just curious what interesting, fun, or just plain awesome pieces y’all have recently added to your collections. Personally, I just got back from a local comic convention and I’m now only 4 issues away from completing my Ron Marz run on Green Lantern from the '90s! I was SUPER excited (pun intended) to find some of the issues I really needed at the con. So tell us about your own exciting finds and buys!

2 Likes

Just ordered the 1:1 green lantern power battery prop replica.

5 Likes

@reload I’m so jealous! Post a picture when it arrives!

2 Likes

This is the most recent edition to my DC collection. It’s stainless steel Dog Tag necklace by Jacmel jewelry. I bought it at Walmart recently.

2 Likes

Bought the Shadow Mirage vehicle from Kenner toys (1990s) on ebay. Immediately went to taking the thing apart with a screwdriver, and on the first undercarriage turn of one of the screws heard a “snap”. Plastic was breaking off all over the thing inside. Mostly just predrilled slots for screws to hold the car body to the undercarriage. By the time I got the entire thing apart, more pieces had broken. Including both fenders and the hood - about 25 (broken) pieces total. The undercarriage was in pieces as well. I reassembled the entire thing on a table and superglued it back together over 2-3 days. I then used lego “flats” to solidify the undercarriage part to prevent future potential (future) breakage. The front wheel axle had to be cut at the midpoint to be able to get it back in place, and I cut copper tubing (1/4 diameter) and glued the axle ends into the shaft to “rejoin” the separated axle/wheels. Over the next 4-5 days I applied flat white primer paint in light coats over the entire outer body, much of which had to be repaired with modeling clays and other faux finishes to make everything look new (and smooth) again. Can’t be missing pieces of the hood and fenders - just wouldn’t look right. Finally got the outer shell of the car (molded black plastic) painted in many coats of flat white primer. I then spent almost 2-1/2 hours masking off with blue painters tape all the parts I didn’t want to be painted in various colors, and then over the next 2-3 days put on a deep metallic red paint over the fenders. Removed the masks and applied additional masks to cover up existing paint job and applied thin coats of metallic black paint over other select areas the car. Also added two lego pieces to the front wheels to give the wheels a 1940s retro look (painted white). The car “roof” slides back and forth to reveal a pop up missile mechanism, which is interesting, but not needed. So I cut a small piece of ultra thin plastic and painted it white to match the car which can be removed to reveal the pop up weaponry (so to speak). I have since printed out labels for the hood, doors, back hood and license plate (to make it her own - so to speak). Now I have a Batman Animated series vehicle for my Harley Quinn. Only photo I have at the moment is from a phone, taken before I did all my clean up painting where paint leaked under the masks. I will try to put up some pics later if anyone is looking for a summer project. Her vehicle goes really well with my Joker car (another custom).

5 Likes

@jvfann Interesting idea. That Shadow car is cool as it is but modifying it for a Harley car is very creative. I’d be interested in seeing pictures when time allows.

Good ol’ Kenner.

3 Likes

@jvfann. Agreed! Would love to see pics of the finished product. There is a thread to post custom work somewhere down.

3 Likes

I’ve tried a number of hosts, nothing permits the file to upload. So I’ve posted a link instead. If someone can help me correct the “that image can not be loaded” error I constantly get, I’ll put up some others. Enjoy anyway.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipP5FCDLhhao11Mpgo7KrCi5Du8_3Orakc1ZeSsZ/photo/AF1QipPlS7uLesfktYaIl42nJVMstupTwowmKjin9AMm

Harley car.

1 Like

This hood was broken and cracked after trying to disassemble the original toy.

1 Like

License plate. I wanted to keep sticker use to a minimum.

1 Like

Sliding roof/hood.

2 Likes

After I take out the cover, the armory lifts out of the trunk. Like I said, fun custom, considering I broke the darn thing into 25+ pieces trying to take it apart. I have other customs if anyone wants to see more. I have a Joker vehicle that is probably a little nicer than this one in terms of overall appearance and accessories.

2 Likes

It’s perfect, jvfann!

Wow, that’s nice! That would’ve been such an easy repaint for Kenner after their Harley came out in '97.

That’s a beautiful piece!!! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Here’s another one. Its my Joker car. Custom paint and decals. Built from Shadow Thundercab (another great Kenner product). No issues on this deconstruct and repaint. There was no breakage. Everything came apart easily and was repainted in flat white, metallic green and metallic purple.

2 Likes

The best part of the Thundercab, was its transitional component. The front hood flipped over to reveal a gun launcher, and the top hood slid back (like Harley car slides) and machine guns can be turned out of the top. Along the rocker door panels, these saw blade things can be pulled from each side of the car. Trunk opens as well. Cool toy. I miss those days - like a lot.

2 Likes

WOW!

As The Riddler said in Batman Forever: “Now THAT’S impressive!”

I loved the Shadow cab and that’s another easy repaint Kenner could’ve done to get more use from the tooling
for that vehicle.

Very, VERY nice work!

2 Likes

I got my Mom a Alex and Ani Womens Wonder Woman Ring Wrap (14k Gold Plated) as an early Mother’s Day Gift.

2 Likes