What Development Hell DC Movie Would You Like Made?

I want to see Justice League Mortal.

3 Reasons:

1. It has both Barry and Wally in it so we could finally let mainstream audiences see the difference instead of just writing Wally with Barry’s name and backstory every time.

2. The version of Justice League in it is close to the one in the DCAU series. It substitutes Hawkgirl for Aquaman, but it has both John Stewart and Martian Manhunter. Plus, Aquaman was a popular recurring character on the show anyway so it balances out.

3. It’s an adaptation of one of the best Justice League stories ever: Tower of Babel (AKA Justice League: Doom). It also has shades of the story leading up to Infinite Crisis and a dash of Crisis on Infinite Earths, but nothing that makes it too complicated.

4 Likes

do not know if its Development hell but i would love batman the dark knight strikes again made into an AM along with Hunter pray as we have had 2 death of superman movies but not an adaptation of round two.

1 Like

I don’t think there was ever talk of doing that one

2 Likes

If Justice League had worked out, he might’ve gotten another shot. His Batgirl definitely would’ve been interesting.

He had a cool concept for a Batman origin movie. It would’ve been about a Young Bruce Wayne visiting Arkham Asylum and learning about the criminal elements. He would meet Joker there and have a Hannibal Lecter relationship with him. I don’t think it got very far in development. I think Joss said he pitched it to WB and they didn’t like it. It would definitely make a great comic book as an alternative.

2 Likes

Everything I’ve read about it over the years, it sounded like it was going to be pretty amazing.

I was bummed when the documentary got stopped by WB. I was really interested to know more in-depth detail about the project. There are always small leaks about the project every once in a while and makes me want to know more.

Did you ever hear about George Miller directing techniques for the actors during pre-production?

2 Likes

I hadn’t heard about Green Arrow: Escape from Super Max until now. I would have loved to see that.

1 Like

Why do you think JL didn’t work?

1 Like

Australia changed their tax law. Australia was where they were gonna film.

1 Like

I heard about Batgirl and Nightwing films that have been stuck in limbo, and I am DESPERATE to see more Batsquad members make it to the big screen.

2 Likes

Sorry for the confusion. That was for Mortal. Sean and I are talking about Whedon’s Justice League.

1 Like

Personally, I enjoyed Justice League for what it was. As a film it definitely had flaws but there were some cool and enjoyable moments. I was entertained. But when I mean it didn’t work. I meant from financial and people’s reception. I won’t go full-blown into it since this is a discussion that could go on for pages.

Financially it only made $650 million which is really good. But WB probably expected to hit closer to a 1Billion. So it didn’t meet their financial expectations. WB isn’t confident with the franchise since they aren’t continuing and possibly rebooting with the new Flash movie.

Critics and people didn’t seem overly joyed by the movie. Henry Cavill mustache and Batman’s bad comedy lines are ones that get criticized alot. Also people didn’t feel like they earned the team-up. There was bad publicity with Zack Snyder leaving and the reshoots. Two different distinct director styles from Batman V Superman and JL.

I think the real issues started with Batman v Superman and the direction Snyder took with the franchise. He had a lot of cool ideas but some that didn’t make sense from a narrative perspective. Snyder Cut JL may shed some light.

I had similar issues with Man of Steel. His reasoning for Superman killing Zod didn’t make sense. I’m not against it, just his execution wasn’t well done and didn’t play with the character or story. Batman Begins and Dark Knight had Batman kill indirectly but it plays into the theme, story, and character.

2 Likes

I would like to see Red Hood and the Outlaws movie. Just to clarify, never been rumored or development.

I was excited for the Nightwing movie. Chris McKay has some cool ideas. He says its not dead yet and still in development.

1 Like

I agree with most, if not all, of that. Snyder seemed to use too many plots in BvS(about 3 when 2 of them worked better)

1 Like

Definitely. They were rushing to push the Franchise to Justice League. I think DC has finally figured out a direction for their properties without mimicking Marvel. Embracing the multiverse is a really cool way.

I know a lot of people loved Wonder Woman in Batman V Superman but I wished he had focused the movie about Batman and Superman. The movie should’ve been about the conflict of two men with different ideologies but became stuffed with too many plots.

For example, the Knightmare sequence is amazing but serves zero context to the film. Especially the Flash time traveling to warn him right after the dream sequence. Snyder talks about it paying off for future films, but we the audience don’t know that and shouldn’t have to wait for 2 films for it to be explained. It doesn’t make sense from a narrative perspective. You might be able to get away with it using a quick tease but not a 10 minute scene without explanation. Just a future plot thread that was unnecessary to film.

1 Like

A live action Teen Titans movie, with a little dash of both Teen Titans’ seriousness and drama, and Teen Titans Go!’s Deadpool or Harley Quinn-esque humor, with some interesting CGI from all of the Titans, like Beast Boy’s light green animal transformation, and they’re battling Slade and Trigon from taking over the world and universe, than just Jump City.

2 Likes

WB should have let Snyder do a few Solo movies first to introduce characters, a younger Batman, and maybe a sequel or two before JL

2 Likes

100 percent agree. I think it would’ve been interesting if they did smaller teams up to build up to JL. That would’ve been different than Marvel.

Like Man of Steel. Batman. Worlds Finest.

Wonder Woman. MOS 2. Batman 2. Trinity.

2 Likes

GL then GLC(Green Lantern Corps)

1 Like

Snyder also left a bit of a loophole in BvS: with Diana at that final fight would it make sense for Superman to pass her the Kryptonite spear

1 Like