What Comics Would You Recommend for 12-15 Year Olds?

Skewing more towards the twelve and below crowd, the Marvel Adventures lineup.

3 Likes

Lil Gotham is good for Batman fans and for pre-teens/young teens who are not all boys. Otherwise it’s probably too slice of life and too tumblr for some boys.

Super Sons is fine for both but I thought the initial series and the Tomasi scripted solo were really lacking as far as scripts. It may be that your pre-teen/teens might not be as critical.

All of the various DCAU tie in books are fine, especially if they are familiar with the animated books.

I personally think DC does a good job of rating (by age) its books. I think a number of the pre-New 52 books that are marked as all age appropriate (for example, the Metal Men maxi-series) work fine for kids and that gives you more room to find something that works with whatever their interests might be.

5 Likes

Just about all the books from the Silver and Bronze Ages. With the omnibus and trade collections available, there is a plethora of great comics to choose from. Expose these young readers to Neal Adams, Jack Kirby, Gil Kane, Joe Kubert, Curt Swan, Murphy Anderson, Carmine Infantino, Berni Wrightson, Denny O’Neil, Jim Shooter, Cary Bates, Len Wein, Marv Wolfman, and Frank Robbins. PHEW! That is only the tip of the iceberg.

3 Likes

Yes I really enjoy that era myself.

3 Likes

Steve Ditko’s Spider-Man & Jack Kirby’s FF runs.

3 Likes

yeah, I’ve read those and they’re good.

1 Like

Batman Beyond is a great Spider-Man ripoff though!

3 Likes