What Comic Do You Regret Reading?

King’s run on Batman
Bendis on Superman and Action
Most of the New 52 (The Savage Hawkman was quite possibly the worst ongoing series DC ever produced)

2 Likes

8 Likes

I believe it was the rebirth aquaman when he had to fight the living water. I don’t know why but I couldn’t care less in that comic.

3 Likes

Superman: Grounded might be my biggest regret. I liked J. Michael Straczynaki on Superman: Earth One, but that story line did not work for me.

Also in the running is the whole Truth storyline with a depowered Superman in the New 52 books. (I think it started around issue #41 in Superman and Action Comics.)

Hopefully somebody else likes those.

6 Likes

Justice League Dark. I’m sorry, the new 52 series is unreadable. Just so bland and bleak. I just can’t. The 2018 series is way better but still misses the mark. It’s just meh. Wonder Woman and Zatanna are 2 of my favorites and the book just didn’t thrill me for those 2 which is the entire reason I read it.
If DC wants/needs a magic based team then instead of forcing a dark toned magic Justice League they should just do the damn Sentinels of Magic.

4 Likes

Dark Knight Strikes Again: no more Frank Miller for me (on the other hand that saved me from Superman: Year One)

The Heckler

Countdown (to Final Crisis)

Millennium

Batgirl (2009) #1: I said to Comic Shop Guy, “If it’s not Barbara, I’ll put it right back on the shelf and you can sell it again.”

4 Likes

I have actually read this from cover to cover 3 times. It is just so fascinating trying to tell what is going on.

4 Likes

Oh man, that’s a great series, though. Of course, it’s all down to opinion, however.
Still not particularly fond of how they thrust Barbara back into the Batgirl alias as though she couldn’t be a hero with a disability, and as if she didn’t already have two great successors. But anyways… I digress.

5 Likes

Almost every yearly big event the DC and Marvel have put on since about 2009. I would love to have that money back.

That does not include the launch of New 52, or Flashpoint. I thought that was wonderful at the time.

4 Likes

I always skip events. Occasionally I come back to them, but only after I have read what I want that had tie-in with them.

4 Likes

HBO MAX Digital Comic Series

The puns were great, but that’s all it had going for it

4 Likes

Come to think of it, I prepaid for #2 and had to give that back as well.

I gambled and lost $4, but I’m sure the comics found a happy home.

And I got my Barbara comic two years later. :+1:

4 Likes

Seconded.

I generally regret reading anything Batman-related between Knightfall and Under the Hood.

3 Likes

Wow. That’s, like, an entire decade.

2 Likes

What batman run do you recommend?

1 Like

I like, I say grounded serves better after reading New Krypton, since Superman spent so much time on New Krypton he thinks he lost touch with his humanity.

3 Likes

The Zero Hour continuity turned Batman into a total jerk. Oh, and that’s also when they started all of that nonsense about him being thought of as nothing more than an urban legend despite being a former member of Justice League International.

5 Likes

It really does bother me when he is portrayed as an urban legend, while at the same time the Justice League is constantly on the newspapers. Clearly the DC conspiracy theorists believe everything they read.

3 Likes

While I loved the team up between Batman and Eddie Mueller of TCM’s Noir Alley, I really didn’t care too much for Batman: Gotham Noir. I won’t say it was bad. I just really didn’t enjoy it very much as either a fan of film noir or a fan of Batman.

3 Likes

All the books by O’Neil and Adams and the late '70s through the mid-'80’s run by Wein, Wolman, Conway, Moench, Starlin, Novick, Aparo, Colan, and the amazingly underrated Don Newton. Also, check out the Detective Comics run by Englehart and Rogers.

7 Likes